General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

10.25 Inch screen retrofit battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 10.25 Inch screen retrofit battery drain

Hi all, I've recently installed the 10.25 screen I got from alibaba on my XE but experiencing mad battery drain since then. I have sent a message to the manufacturer but they are a bit slow in responding. The wiring harness I received did not require me to tap into any other connections. The harness has a splitter that lets me use the original system and has wires going to the screen module. The manufacturer told me to connect the two black ground cables to my speakers working but the battery drain was happening before that, and only confirmed when I reinstalled the old unit. Has anyone experienced it before? Would love to get this sorted
Ive attached some pics that show the wiring harness. Not sure if I can post links here but this is the unit I ordered.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

There are a couple threads in the X250 forum regarding the aftermarket Android set up and one person was experiencing a battery drain. I don't think he resolved it. Best guess is that the system is not shutting down, just going into sleep mode or worse, not going into sleep mode. Now sleep mode on a tablet shouldn't be a major drain but you might want to try shutting it down. Some of the units don't offer a shut down feature so you can try a couple things.
Swipe down from the top of the screen, then swipe down again. You should see a power/reboot option which is common on anything Android. Select it and once the unit shuts down and before it reboots, shut the car off. Then see if you still have a drain.

Harmless test and once you power up the car, it will reboot. Boot time is roughly 20 seconds.

Another option is to download the app "MENU Button" from the google play store and configure the buttons so you have a power button on screens edge. You have to configure it but it's easy to set up. It will only provide the same function as is built into the unit, so if your unit doesn't have a shut down option, selecting shut down will just perform a reboot. Same process as above but with the touch of a button. It costs money to get rid of the ads but you can try it for free to see if it helps.

This is where I'd start if it were me. Beyond that, if it is sleeping, I would test each pinout to see which wire was pulling voltage after you turn off the car and get back to the supplier with that info.

Old 06-05-2021, 05:41 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,120 Likes on 789 Posts

I was under the impression that all power was cut off via the “main junction box” or something like that. Therefore “accessories” like a display screen could not acquire power following the car system power down. (applied immediately if the lock button is double clicked) or wait x minutes after engine shutdown…

Of course, begs the question, what specifically is drawing the power…. a modern digital screen doesn’t need that much to drive it… apparently unless its some cheap knockoff.

Old 06-05-2021, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,256 Likes on 2,379 Posts

The tablets themselves are Spreadtrum, who make both high and low end tablets (you decide what they did here:-). In any event, power to the aftermarket is live all of the time (pre module, post relay) on my vehicle, so I'm making a guess that something is still active on it. Yes, display is fed off the Accessory but not sure everything is. But in essence, I agree with you Guy. Just trying to give him options. I don't believe power draw in sleep mode would be enough to drain the battery. He also doesn't mention the age/condition/care of his battery - all of which can contribute.

The following users liked this post:
guy (06-06-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 02:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
The tablets themselves are Spreadtrum, who make both high and low end tablets (you decide what they did here:-). In any event, power to the aftermarket is live all of the time (pre module, post relay) on my vehicle, so I'm making a guess that something is still active on it. Yes, display is fed off the Accessory but not sure everything is. But in essence, I agree with you Guy. Just trying to give him options. I don't believe power draw in sleep mode would be enough to drain the battery. He also doesn't mention the age/condition/care of his battery - all of which can contribute.
Sorry for the late replies. The car is a 2017 model and the battery drain does not occur with the original screen fitted. I even got a battery health check and it was all good. I noticed the little fan in the OEM controller does not turn off when the aftermarket screen is fitted and left it overnight and the next day, the car started to complain about low battery. Looks like the car isn't going into sleep mode properly when the aftermarket screen is fitted.