General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 S Type Seat wiring help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 S Type Seat wiring help please

Hi, I don't have the car just the seats that I am told are from a 1999 Jaguar S Type

I have the passengers seat working, the loom only had 2 wires so not hard to work out. The drivers seat however has several extra wires and some form of control module (I guess) and I have wired up the same 2 wires and the lumbar pump works but none of the seat motion work.

Issues, passenger seat has a tab on the side saying Airbag but drivers has the tag bit nothing on it so not sure if it has an airbag, there is a seat belt tensioner so I have disconnected that so I don't set it off.

I have searched the Forum and found loads of helpful people posting links to wiring diagrams but they are all out of date and don't work so that's why I have had to start a new thread.

So in short how do I get my drivers seat moving without setting a potential Airbag off?

Many thanks for any help :-)

Old 05-07-2023, 08:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

Neil, first things first, if you do not apply power to the air bag, it will not go off. So, with that being said, located the reg wire with a green stripe and the brown wire with the green stripe. These power the air bag. Cut them from the plug and insulate the wires so they do not touch any power source. You have now neutralized the air bag.

Now, for making the seat work. I have the diagrams for a 199.25MY S-Type, so, this will most likely work for you seat. You need to locate the following 4 wires: Red wire coming off of the computer module, red wire coming off of the lumbar pump, the orange wire with a white wire coming off of the computer module, and an orange wire with a yellow stripe coming from the switch complex on the side of the seat. All 4 of these wires need to be tied together and attached to the positive wire of your power source. Now you need to locate 4 additional wires. There is a brown wire coming off of the lumbar pump, a brown wire coming off of the computer, a black wire with a white stripe coming off of the computer, and a black wire coming off of the switch complex. All 4 of these wires get tied together and attach to the ground of your power source.

At this point, you should have a fully functional seat except for the seat heater. That takes too much power for the average power circuit and also needs to have safety features added to protect you from getting burned and the seat bursting into flames.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:22 AM
Default More detail

Many thanks for that I think it is pretty close I have had a better look at the cables as below, any help gratefully accepted.Drivers seat has 11 wires plus 2 in a separate connector, both seats have the 2 wire connector coloured black and green, red and green I think these are the air bag but would like confirmation.

Red with an orange stripe and black with a blue stripe. These are the thickest cables and are the only ones on the passenger seat which has no module and wire red to + and black to – the passenger seat works except the lumbar pump, which may be broken. Wire red to + and black to – the drivers seat and the lumbar pump works but nothing else.

Thin grey wire and blue with a orange stripe. These are twisted together and near the connector that are taped together, I assume these are a pair for something.

This leaves

2 medium thickness cables a brown one and a red and green stripe one

The remainder are thin cables coloured:

Pink with a black stripe

Orange yellow stripe

White with a black stripe

Black with a yellow stripe

Green with ablack stripe

Once again many thanks for any help

Old 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Received 8,151 Likes on 4,917 Posts

The first year S-Type Electrical Guide.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S1_S.pdf (3.48 MB, 27 views)
Old 05-10-2023, 03:05 PM
Veteran member

Neil, do you need any help with what motorcarman provided to assist you with powering the seat? If so, let me know. I read these schematics all day long at my job. I can make my way around them fairly easily.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Neil, do you need any help with what motorcarman provided to assist you with powering the seat? If so, let me know. I read these schematics all day long at my job. I can make my way around them fairly easily.
I would appreciate help please, I have identified the Airbag but I am unable to identify all my wires as per the photos above and don't want to just guess, your original post made sense but I did not have the same colours so maybe be slightly different model. All I know is it is a 1999 S Type, drivers seat has a heater module passengers does not/

Many thanks
Neil

Old 05-11-2023, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

Neil, the red and black wires that you had applied power to, those are for the lumbar pump. To make the seat move, you need to flip the seat over and look at the under side of the seat by the switch pack. You should see a connector in that area (may be behind the cover for the switches). You should see 10 wires connected to the switch pack. You are after the orange wire with a yellow stripe (this is your positive that will get connected with the red wire) and you are after the brown wire (this may change to black under the seat somewhere). This brown wire will connect with your black wire for the lumbar support. That should be all that you need. Keep in mind that you are going to need something like a battery to handle the current draw of the seat motors, especially if you are sitting in the seat. Using something like a 7AH battery is going to have enough power in it to handle the seat. Go much smaller and while you may have the seat properly wired, the load of the seat is going to overload the power supply and make it appear as if the seat is not working.