General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004xj8 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004xj8 transmission

I need to replace my transmission control module--does it need to be programed
Wes

Old 05-27-2024, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Gwes, first off, welcome to The Forums. I think you will find a lot of very useful information here that will help keep your kitty in tip top shape. But, we do ask a favor of you. Please stop by the New Member section and give us a quick introduction and a bit about your car. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and we like to get to know one another. This will help you get introduced to those that make this place what it is.

Secondly, you may want to post this question again in the X308/X350 section as that is an area specific to your car and someone there will know beyond a shadow of doubt as to what needs to be done. It is my understanding that the year you are dealing with should not need any programming as long as you get a new module similar to yours. If you look on the module, you should see a number along the lines of 4X43-12345-BD. In this case, the 4x43 tells me that the part came from an X-Type (your code will be different), the 12345 is the part number for your particular tranny module. The BD is the version of computer. getting one where this code is close to what you currently have is going to help ensure you do not need to make any updates. Remember that all the numbers/letters I am using are just an example. You will need to pull the information off of the tranny computer to get what you need.

If you pull say a module from an XK, it may plug up to your car, but will most likely need programming as some of the information in the computer is going to be specific to the XK and make your car run a little awkward.

Old 05-27-2024, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Why are you changing it?
What codes do you have?
What repairs have you tried so far?

Old 05-27-2024, 11:30 AM

Play softball--was in Fl last Jan. at a tournament and when I got in a started it up "Transmission Fault" came on, have you read my new member post?, I though it might need flued, could not find a dip stick. Called the shop I go to in Louisville,Ky and he told me there was not one, so I 100 miles back to where we were staying. Stopped at a Transmission shop, to business to read code. Took it to another place and they read to code and told me that it was the "transmission control module". They could not find a part, I was to leave to go back home, Louisville, in two days. Took it back to transmission shop they read the code and said i needed to rebuild the transmission". After two days they said they could not find all the parts. They also said that the fault code went away and they could not make it come back. They also said I could drive it back to Louisville, 1,000 miles, and I had a 90% chance of making it. Got home, no problem, drove it for about a month before the fault came back on. Took it to the shop that had done some other work and they told me "transmission control module" they could not find a part and the fault had gone away. Drove in for two months before fault came back on. I found a part and took it another place I use. The fault was on when I drove in, I turned the car off. When they came out to ck it the fault was gone. But they did not have software to program it. I have been trying find out if it needs to be programed or not. If so where do I buy the software and how much.
Wes

Old 05-28-2024, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It's probably not the module.

You need the actual code(s).

A cheap tool like elm327 may be enough to do that.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Yes thank you JagV8!
We need ALL the details and all the talk about where your drove the car is of no use?
Codes-the actual codes. Were they cleared? Did they come back? Same codes or different codes?

What "part" did you find? Part number and maybe a picture?

Please, please get the fluid checked properly as that is one of the major problems as it's difficult to check correctly. It is the FIRST thing to do whenever the car throws transmission faults. You did not tell us the mileage but has the transmission been serviced because you are WAY over due!

Old 05-28-2024, 09:59 AM
Default Gwes

I'm going to get a new print out today with the codes

Yes I have cleared the codes two times by different people and theY come back the same.
When this all started i have 160,000 +/- now I have 180,000 +/-
Service at 159452
codes
P0720-P0730-P0735-P0701

Old 05-28-2024, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Gwes, looking at your codes, I would be looking at the solenoids associated with the 5th gear of your tranny. yes, it is a potential that the TCM is bad, but that is only 2 of the codes. All of the codes are pointing to either a mechanical issue with the tranny or a valve body issue. Because this happen shortly after a service and seems to be intermittent, this would lead me to believe you have a solenoid that is sticking a little bit and not allowing the tranny to shift like it wants to.