General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2010 jaguar xfr rear wheels rubbing/scraping/getting stuck when sharp angle turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 jaguar xfr rear wheels rubbing/scraping/getting stuck when sharp angle turning

Hello, iam having a bit of an issue only when turning at 10-30 km/h i hear a humming sound from the rear and when iam on a slippery surface doing that, the turning wheel will get stuck a little bit. I will post a link to my video so you guys can understand better.

my indie said that it “could” be the E DIFF MOTOR, is that what it does when faulty ?

https://youtube.com/shorts/Yo3eQZdA42s?si=yslwOo3L30eRQxbs

thank you

Old 01-07-2024, 07:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Sulaimman, from the sounds of things, yes, it is something in your rear end that is locked up and not allowing the tires to spin at different speeds. From what I can tell watching the video you included, the tire is not sticking, it is actually trying to spin faster than the ground (ie, trying to spin at the same speed as the other side tire). That is causing that skipping/rocks sliding sound. It is very possible that you have something sticking and causing the e-diff to remain partially locked. I would say that you need to have this looked at by a professional (doesn't sound like you are much of a gear head) and have them see what is sticking.

Of note, you may want to drive the car a little easier than you normally do. What I mean by this is you do not want to be testing the limits of traction. With both wheels attempting to spin at the same speed, if you loose traction on the rear end now in the middle of a turn, the rear end of the car will definitely try to come and get ahead of the front bumper. I have had vehicles with limited slips and whatnot and that was a characteristic that you needed to pay attention to. Atleast with a limited slip, you could feel it jitter and let you know you are getting close to loosing traction.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Sulaimman, from the sounds of things, yes, it is something in your rear end that is locked up and not allowing the tires to spin at different speeds. From what I can tell watching the video you included, the tire is not sticking, it is actually trying to spin faster than the ground (ie, trying to spin at the same speed as the other side tire). That is causing that skipping/rocks sliding sound. It is very possible that you have something sticking and causing the e-diff to remain partially locked. I would say that you need to have this looked at by a professional (doesn't sound like you are much of a gear head) and have them see what is sticking.

Of note, you may want to drive the car a little easier than you normally do. What I mean by this is you do not want to be testing the limits of traction. With both wheels attempting to spin at the same speed, if you loose traction on the rear end now in the middle of a turn, the rear end of the car will definitely try to come and get ahead of the front bumper. I have had vehicles with limited slips and whatnot and that was a characteristic that you needed to pay attention to. Atleast with a limited slip, you could feel it jitter and let you know you are getting close to loosing traction.
hey Thermo, well i am alot into cars (my car specific) but it is just a weird issue because it is not constant, it comes and goes by it self so this is making me curious and its giving me a headache!! Bare in mind that a E-Diff motor is not that cheap and i am trying to figure out that maybe if you can clarify this to me, that it could be from the old differential fluid ? As it is a 2010 and the previous owner just didn’t give 2 sh**ts about it !.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Sulaimman, new fluid is cheap and is a good spot to start with. This will do a few things for you. 1) gives you an idea if the rear end is getting too hot for some reason, leading to a problem, 2), if the lube has "silver glitter" in it, it may be a sign that you hvae a bigger issue going on, and/or 3) if the fluid is low, it can possibly cause issues. I know there is different fluids between the normal limited slip and the E-slip setups. So, get the correct fluid, drain out the old to get an idea of what is going on internally and then add in the correct new fluid. That may be all that is required. May be a good idea to use a boroscope to do some internal looking around. ONe other thing that you may want to ponder is getting an SDD laptop connected to your car. IT is possible that there is an error code, but due to how it is handled by the car, may not come up on your reader. I had that issue with my suspension problem. Once I got in via SDD, it pointed right to the problem.