General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2017 f-type A/C intermittent failure, dealers can't fix!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation 2017 f-type A/C intermittent failure, dealers can't fix!!

2017 f-type coupe premium, USA

Bought the car in spring of this year as a CPO in Florida and began the road trip to drive it back to New Mexico. According to Jaguar, a certified pre-owned car is as good as new, and it came with a CPO extended factory warranty of 7 years, 100k miles. Two hours into the drive, the a/c stopped blowing cold air. Haven't even left Florida yet. The blower still blows air, it's just hot and humid air. Tried turning the a/c off and on, tried turning the blower speed up and down, tried using auto, not using auto, using recirc, not using recirc, tried everything. A/C does not come back. After stopping for a break and restarting the car, a/c works fine again. Then it goes out some time later. Same thing happens, a/c won't work until car is turned off and back on. Sometimes the a/c works for 15 minutes, sometimes for an hour, sometimes it doesn't work even after turning the car off/on. This happens the entire 17-hour drive home. Continues happening every single time I drive it.

I've had the car at two different dealerships, three times over the past 4 months. It would have been far more times than that if I weren't traveling away from home so much this summer. There is a TSB for this exact issue, which says to replace a solenoid/switch in the compressor. That part has been replaced three times and the entire compressor replaced once. They give it back saying it has been fixed, then the a/c stops working on my drive home from the dealership.

Now it's become a safety issue. I was driving down the highway on a humid day (in Louisiana for my brother's wedding) in the rain, the a/c stopped working and the entire windshield fogged up.. while I'm driving highway speeds in the rain, in heavy traffic. Had to emergency pull over and blast the heat until the windshield defogged, then continue running the heat (again, on a hot, humid day in Louisiana) to be able to drive the car.

I'm scheduled to bring the car back to the Jaguar el paso dealership for them to attempt, yet again, to get the a/c to work. This car is 3 years old and is still under factory warranty. Hasn't even crossed over to the extended CPO warranty yet. I really need this car to be fixed. It's supposed to be my daily driver. I bought an f-type because I wanted to drive an f-type, but since I bought it, I've driven the boring-as-dirt loaner sedans more than my own car. Literally.

About to contact the NTSB due to the hazard level of a windshield suddenly fogging up at highway speeds in the rain in traffic. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that if I have the entire service record for this car pulled, it will show that this was already a known problem before the car was sold to me. I doubt this just started 2 hours after I bought it.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Just got the car back from the dealer (for the 4th time) after they replaced a few sensors and a/c fan, which they said were faulty. Was told it was fixed. A/C went out on my drive home. Windshield fogged up on the highway. I suppose I'm going to have to call JLR north america to get an engineer involved. Sigh.

Looking real hard at the c8. Or maybe refurbishing a yugo.. just to have a more reliable car than this f-type.

Old 06-19-2023, 11:39 AM
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello ALlsher,

Did you ever get your A/C issue resolved? My 2016 F-type R does exactly the same thing!

Old 06-20-2023, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by russpe
Hello ALlsher,

Did you ever get your A/C issue resolved? My 2016 F-type R does exactly the same thing!
Yes after replacing every other A/C component, they replaced the A/C control module (computer) and that solved it. It was a loose terminal in the connector. The A/C would start fine, but the vibration and bumps of driving would cause one of the terminals to briefly lose connection, which caused a fault in the control module, shutting down the A/C. Power-cycling the car would reset the module and it would work until the terminal lost connection again.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:00 PM

Hey wow. Glad you're still active on the forum! Since my car is now out of warranty I may attempt to check that connection myself. So now all I need to do is find where that module is located... any ideas? :-)

Thanks BTW, this gives me something to look at.

Old 06-20-2023, 04:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

russpe, the A/C control module is going to be one of the boards that is in the stack behind the screen for the radio. So, you can then just check all the connectors and it should reveal itself fairly quickly as to which connector is the issue.

If you look at the modules, it should have a number on it saying "GX53-14F498-AD" (or may possibly say AC, depending on what part of the year your car was built in).

HOpe this gives you enough information to find the problem.

Old 06-20-2023, 05:46 PM

That's a great idea but I am a little unsure about the location of the A/C ECM bd (for lack of a better term). After reading your reply (thanks) I watched a youtube video for a pre-facelift F-Type head unit upgrade and when they removed the HU I only saw support hardware and wiring behind it so I'm wondering if your observation may have been from a post-facelift F-Type. Even so, it should not be that difficult to locate, I'll query the forum.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

russpe, Jaguar as of late has been putting a number of computers behind the screen for the components that the screen controls. It may be possible in your car that they put the A/C module some where else. If you can find a youtube video of how to remove the module, go with that. I would have to do some looking around and seeing if I could find something that would tell me where to find the module. i know in the XJ, it is behind the screen.