General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

4.2L Engine dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2L Engine dimensions

I was wondering if anyone here knows (or knows where I may find) the dimensions of the 4.2L Supercharged engine, aka the AJ34S engine, that was available in the 2004–present Jaguar XJR/Super V8, the 2003–present Jaguar XKR, the 2003–present Jaguar S-Type R, or the 2009–present Jaguar XF. Here is an example of what I am looking and what I am attempting to compare it to.

Engine_________ Length____ Height ________ Width
Ford 4.6L SOHC _ 28 Inches _ 26 Inches _____ 28-5/8 Inches
Ford 4.6L DOHC _ 28 Inches _ 29-7/8 Inches __ 30 Inches

TIA

Last edited by eRush; 01-03-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: deleted bad url
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM

anyone???

Old 01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Letting the cat out of the bag here... but its for a project I am planning.

I currently own a Ford F150 Lightning and would like to make a smaller faster version of the truck and have it appear factory, using the Ford Ranger. My first thought was to use the 03/04 Cobra 4.6L DOHC supercharged engine. However, this engine is a little too tall and therefore a little too wide to accomplished without extensive modifications and highly likely having to remove the HVAC system, which isn't an acceptable solution.

More searching for a factory type engine producing approximately 390-400 HP and have smaller overall dimensions that the Ford 4.6L lead me to the possibility of the 4.2L used in the Jaguars. I know the 4.0L and the 4.2L are suitable replacements for the 3.8L and this was the same engine used in the Lincolns. This leads me to believe that the 4.2L would be a suitable candidate for my intended application. Nonetheless, I wish to obtain more information to confirm my assumptions.

I could have gone the easy route and swap in the legacy 5.0L engine from a Mustang or Explorer but its seems everybody is doing this and it doesnt fit my requirement to be supercharged and factory stock appearing.

Additionally, I wish to show the truck at Ford and Truck events such as Carlisle All Ford Nationals. Since the F150 was already named Lightning I wish to stay with that line of naming, similar to the Typhoon and Cyclone GM did with their performance trucks a few years back. During my research into this project I found a company that placed the Lightning 5.4L supercharged engine into Ford Expedition and called it Thunder. I wish to call the enhanced Ranger, "STORM."

After that the next project would involve expanding on the Thunder by placing a supercharged version of the Ford Racing and Performance Parts 5.0L engine (based on the 4.6/5.4 modular engine family) into an Expedition.

If that wasnt enough, I wish to keep going and do another F150 with a 5.4L DOHC supercharged engine from the Shelby Mustang. Not sure what to call this one, but Cumulonimbus comes to mind.

Aren't you glad you asked??? lol

Last edited by eRush; 01-03-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: some spelling
Old 01-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

You're barking up the wrong tree.
Here's why...

1.)Jag v8 = cast crank. Cast crank = BOOM under big power. You will need big power to outrun the lightning.

2.) there is NO aftermarket for the jag engine.

3.) horrendously expensive. No really, it's prohibitive to say the least. Jags have tensioner issues and grenade themselves. The also have Nikasil problems, and grenade themselves. Thus, the market for te jag v8 is low supply and high demand. Everyone wants a replacement for the one they broke. This equates to high expense for you.

4.)Further, the Ranger chassis is a bit Jello-y. They flex quite a bit under big power. Hell, they flex quite a bit over bumpy asphalt

5.)The nightmare that is the wiring.

That said, the easiest and cheapest way to get what you want is as follows.

Most of the problem you are having with engine size is height. DOHC = TALL. Pushrod = SHORT. A supercharged 5.0 wont be any taller than a 4.6.
If you are looking for just four hundred horse, go with a simple 5.0 liter mustang block. Forged internals and basic hotrod mods will give you 400hp no problem. There are aftermarket suppliers that supply harness's for those motors as well. Saving you the nightmare of ecu wiring.

Hell, put a procharger on the 5.0 and it's the same height as the 4.0 or 3.0 you currently have.

Much simpler, much easier, much less hassel, and considerably cheaper.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM

I hear ya!

However, what you suggest wouldn't appear to resemble the Lightning engine appearance with an Eaton. I dont have a need to make more than the factory output. What I would like to produce it a vehicle that appears as if Ford themselves did and maintain a similar appearance to the Lightning but on a smaller scale.

The best price I have found for the engine so far is $3850. So your comment about easier and cheaper ring true.

Another thought of mine was to use the supercharged 3.8L V6 from the mid to late 90s Thunderbird. The downside to that is the power output is also down, IIRC 215 HP. The upside is there is aftermarket support for the engine.

The biggest part of this project is that its different and it would keep me occupied. Difficult but not impossible.

Still in the research phase for now.

Thank you for the information, do you have any additional ideas kicking around???

Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by viscoussquirrel
1.)Jag v8 = cast crank. Cast crank = BOOM under big power.
Don't you guys have a member on here making 500RWHP with a KB twin screw? Not sure if has upgraded internals.

You will need big power to outrun the lightning.
If I stick with the factory output of 400 HP and use the lighter Ranger chassis that should put on par or better than the Lightning with it's additional heft.

3.) horrendously expensive. No really, it's prohibitive to say the least. Jags have tensioner issues and grenade themselves. The also have Nikasil problems, and grenade themselves. Thus, the market for te jag v8 is low supply and high demand. Everyone wants a replacement for the one they broke. This equates to high expense for you.
Not familiar with Nikasil, could you help me out here?
The Cobra and Shelby guys have a few options for aftermarket tensioners, I figured Jag owners would have at least one aftermarket supplier for them.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Except for brake pads there is very little aftermarket anything for the Jaguar. You can use the Lincoln LS tensioners but only because it's still a Jaguar engine.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by test point
Except for brake pads there is very little aftermarket anything for the Jaguar. You can use the Lincoln LS tensioners but only because it's still a Jaguar engine.
The things that make you go hummmmm...

Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Had actually 470 rwhp with a 4.0 jaguar engine and the twin-screw. Am now putting a new version on my car, with all CNC machined parts, and I hope that this will give me the push to 500 rwhp.

I would go for the 4.2 engine from Jaguar, they are still relatively cheap to get, and that one doesn't have any of the issues the older 4.0 engines had. On top of that, it has a forged crank, and oil jets under the pistons for better cooling, perfect for increasing the hp!

Andre.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:12 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

I completely agree and would go with the 4.6L too.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by stevetech
I completely agree and would go with the 4.6L too.
Would you still agree if price wasn't a concern???

Old 06-18-2010, 01:51 PM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes, unless you're completely satisfied with what you buy. If you are planning to do anything in the performance range, expect it will be painful. Painful either because you'll pay exotic prices for what would be common upgrades on the 4.6, or, you'll be "garage engineering" stuff with all of the typical challenges that brings. We have examples of guys who have gone both these routes and all have yielded pretty disappointing results.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 AM

I know this is an old thread,,, but new on here. I am confused,, One thread says the 4.2 has cast crank, tensioner and some other issue,, the next thread from AVOS says it has a forged crank???????
I would hope it has a forged crank with the supercharger.
Just trying to get a handle on the basics of this 4.2 engine platform.
I was told it was no way close to a Ford engine in a previous post.

There does not seem to be many folks that have dug into the internals. I guess I am just use to the Chevy group and the extensive amount of info available. Of course not a lot of folks buy a $70000 car and tear into it so I guess it is understandable.
I am hoping to learn more here, so sorry if I ask some redundant questions that may already have been answered.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:40 AM

OK I am a little SLOW,,,, and should have done a better search first,,,, I think I have answered my own question and I am posting this PDF for any others that might have had the same concerns.
As I read this info,,, all the Nikasil and other issues were with the 4.0 and apparently addressed with the 4.2.
JaguarAJ-V8Engine.pdf

Last edited by antioch01; 06-16-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I think the best thing is to go and read the many files in the download area

Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 AM

I searched this entire website,,,, still do not see a "download area" ?????

Old 06-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by antioch01
I searched this entire website
Oh no you didn't!!!!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...r-index-50609/

Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Quite. Just a little up the same page posted on.

Quick Reply: 4.2L Engine dimensions