General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Adding Android Auto Support to 2017 XF

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Android Auto Support to 2017 XF

I picked up a 2017 XF last week with the 10.2" screen. I've seen two 2016 XFs with this screen that supported Android Auto when I plugged my phone in via USB cable. Unfortunately the 2017 XF I've bought doesn't, so I'm looking for the best way to get convenient access to Google Maps while driving. Some potential options are:
  • Phone holder - most straightforward option, but it would be nice to make use of that built-in touchscreen display.
  • Software update - some people have suggested a software update might do the trick, but I don't think that's an option with this head unit.
  • Head unit replacement - maybe the head unit can be replaced with a salvaged one that does support Android Auto, but I'm not sure if these need to be configured according to the features/peripherals of the car.
  • Additional head unit - there are standalone and DIY Android Auto head units that I could mount on top of the dash or in front of the existing display.
  • Aftermarket upgrades - it may be possible to install an aftermarket upgrade that integrates Android Auto with the built-in touchscreen, but it seems like these don't always integrate well and might have issues with other car features such as the reversing camera.
  • Hacking it.
I'm not sure if some of these options are even feasible so it would be good to hear from anyone who can reliably confirm either way, particularly:
  1. Can a software upgrade enable Android Auto support on the head unit, which appears to be a Bosch MySpin unit?
  2. Can the head unit be replaced with a salvaged one that does support Android Auto?
In the meantime, I'm looking at hacking it, partly inspired by another post here by Rhys Morgan: "CAN bus hacking Jaguar XF" (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...uar-xf-217412/). I don't think I need to mess with the CAN bus here, though.

The head unit appears to be a Bosch MySpin unit. The marketing bumph gives me the impression that it's a precursor to Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. It allows smartphone apps to integrate with the head unit using an app and/or SDK provided by Bosch. For Jaguar, the main integration app is "Jaguar InControl Apps". Besides this, there are only a few supported Android apps, none of which I use or want to use, and Jaguar are discontinuing support in December this year and removing the apps from the app stores.

In theory it should be possible to build a standalone Android head unit like Rhys Morgan has done, and have that speak to the Bosch MySpin head unit and use it as the touchscreen display for Android Auto. The existing apps supported by "Jaguar InControl Apps" should contain the code needed to speak to the Bosch MySpin, so in theory all that's needed is to create a translation layer between Android Auto and Bosch MySpin. This could be done in a self-contained device using e.g. a Raspberry Pi, and the car itself wouldn't need any modifications for (hopefully) seamless Android Auto integration.

Has anyone else looked into doing this and made any progress? Would be great to hear from you if so, even better if you've come up with a solution!

My progress so far:
  • I have begun reverse engineering the supported Android apps and found a Linux library and supporting Java code to speak to the Bosch MySpin unit.
    • I haven't built any test applications to verify this yet.
  • Ordered a Raspberry Pi to look at setting up OpenAuto or Crankshaft ready to test and modify

Old 09-04-2023, 03:20 PM
Received 257 Likes on 196 Posts

You didn't mention retrofit as an option... I have a 2018 XE S that didn't come with carplay or AA. I had Cambo change a module in the centre console and twiddle a few things in Pathfinder, and now I have it. Cost me about a grand, took an hour or so, and it's fully factory.

​​​​I'd suggest talking to a retrofitter like him before looking at wilder options like custom head units!

Good luck

Old 09-09-2023, 01:20 PM

Little bit of progress. Looks like the head unit speaks "Android Open Accessory Protocol". I've written an Android app that can detect when the phone is plugged in to the Jag and is able to speak to it. Now to work out what that "conversation" should look like. On the other side of things, I have Crankshaft up and running on a Raspberry Pi.

Originally Posted by dangoesfast
You didn't mention retrofit as an option... I have a 2018 XE S that didn't come with carplay or AA. I had Cambo change a module in the centre console and twiddle a few things in Pathfinder, and now I have it. Cost me about a grand, took an hour or so, and it's fully factory.

​​​​I'd suggest talking to a retrofitter like him before looking at wilder options like custom head units!

Good luck
Cheers - good to know there's potentially an option to get factory AA support. Is Cambo a user here? I may ping you for more details but I'm going to carry on poking at this project for now as I can't see any reason it wouldn't work and if it does work I get AA without modifying the car.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:48 PM
Received 257 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by NickstaDB
Little bit of progress. Looks like the head unit speaks "Android Open Accessory Protocol". I've written an Android app that can detect when the phone is plugged in to the Jag and is able to speak to it. Now to work out what that "conversation" should look like. On the other side of things, I have Crankshaft up and running on a Raspberry Pi.

Cheers - good to know there's potentially an option to get factory AA support. Is Cambo a user here? I may ping you for more details but I'm going to carry on poking at this project for now as I can't see any reason it wouldn't work and if it does work I get AA without modifying the car.
Looks like you're having fun with that option 😁 Cambo is a user here but I don't see him here much.. The business is called "Old Jaguar" and while he's in Sydney, there's a few of them around Australia. There's retrofitters in the UK and US as well.

Old 03-13-2024, 04:13 AM
Default Please help with an update

Hello, I've just purchased an xf 2017 and it doesn't have AA which I desperately want. Just wondered if you or anyone got AA working in the end? I would like to keep the original head unit/screen ideally.
thank you!

Old 03-22-2024, 04:46 AM
Sponsor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smashy26
Hello, I've just purchased an xf 2017 and it doesn't have AA which I desperately want. Just wondered if you or anyone got AA working in the end? I would like to keep the original head unit/screen ideally.
thank you!
Hi Smashy,
You can check out our this AA Upgrade module: https://www.carputech.com/products/w...play-functions
For your xf 2017, please choose the HARMAN system.
Convert your current XF into the most modern version with the Apple CarPlay AA Module by unlocking:
• Apple Carplay
• Android Auto
• iOS Airplay
• Mirroring-Link
• USB Flash Play
You are not giving one up for the other! You can easily switch between your original operating system and the new XF Android Auto system.
If you have any questions pls feel free to tell us.

Last edited by carputech; 03-22-2024 at 04:49 AM.