General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Adding "invisible" Bluetooth to your Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Adding "invisible" Bluetooth to your Jaguar

I plan to follow up with some photos later, but thought I'd start a thread on this.

I have a '99 XJ8 VDP. I wanted to wirelessly play music from my phone (I have an Android phone) through the Jag stereo. My preference was Bluetooth. Like I imagine most Jag owners would be, I wanted to keep a stock look, and avoid clipping devices on the visor or plugging more things into the cigar lighter plug.

So here's what I did:

1. Ordered a
Tranzit Blu car kit from Amazon Tranzit Blu car kit from Amazon
(about $60)
2. Removed facade from around the shifter, radio, and heater controls.
3. Pulled the stereo forward.
4. Found a wire that had voltage only while the key is turned on, and attached to this to power the Tranzit Blu module. Also attached to ground via a grounding screw in the same area.
5. Unplugged the antenna [male] from the radio [female] and plugged it into the Tranzit Blu adapter [female], then plugged the Tranzit Blu antenna wire [male] into the radio.
6. I found that the best place to put the Tranzit Blu box, which is about 3"x2"x1", was the cavity to the forward-left of the shifter, and routed the wires under the console frames, so none would get pinched or simply be in the way.
7. Put everything back together.
8. Paired with my phone, tuned the radio to the right station, and played my music!

This was relatively easy to do with only basic electrical knowledge.

The Tranzit Blu device does come with a switch for turning it off and on, but again, I didn't want to modify the appearance of the interior, so the key is essentially the switch. The downside is that the Tranzit Blu only goes into connect mode at startup, so if my phone doesn't have Bluetooth turned on when I start the vehicle, it appears there is no way for me to connect until I've restarted the vehicle.

I've been studying the XJ schematics, and I plan to reopen the console and move the power source over to the wire that supplies the amplifier. This way, the radio on/off button becomes the Tranzit Blu switch as well. You may have to identify a different source for your car, or install a manual switch.

Anyway, hope that helps somebody! Haven't run into a problem since installing.

Update: Here are some pictures of the wiring and the placement of the Tranzit Blu box. Also, as you can maybe see by the pictures, I had previously tapped into power from the yellow/white wire (power for the CD changer), which has constant power while the car is on, but just this morning I moved over to the light-green/black wire (power for the antenna motor), which has constant power only while the radio is turned on. Now, if I need to reset the Tranzit Blu box, simply shut off the radio and then turn it back on.

Last edited by BillDJohnson; 07-27-2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
The following 3 users liked this post by BillDJohnson:
Bill400 (07-26-2013), GGG (07-27-2013), Maninahat98 (09-29-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks for documenting a practical solution to an annoying problem.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Bill,

A neat solution. Thanks for the write-up.

I've added a pic of the TranzitBLU here because Amazon links have a habit of disappearing:

Adding "invisible" Bluetooth to your Jaguar-tranzitblu.jpg

Graham

The following users liked this post:
BillDJohnson (07-27-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Bill,

A neat solution. Thanks for the write-up.

I've added a pic of the TranzitBLU here because Amazon links have a habit of disappearing:

Attachment 49308

Graham
Thanks, GGG!
I've also edited my original post with an update including pictures. Hope it helps!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:15 PM
GGG

I haven't seen this type of connector used outside of domestic wiring:

Adding "invisible" Bluetooth to your Jaguar-bill.jpg

Is this standard practice in US automobile accessory wiring?

In Europe we use Blade Connectors:

Name:  BLADE.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  14.9 KB

With these, there's no need to cut any of the original wires.

Graham

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
I haven't seen this type of connector used outside of domestic wiring:

Attachment 49389

Is this standard practice in US automobile accessory wiring?

In Europe we use Blade Connectors:

Attachment 49390

With these, there's no need to cut any of the original wires.

Graham
I think it's just a personal preference. I used to use blade connectors, and for the most part, they were fine, but I found them to be only as good as the clasp that held them shut. I just have had better experiences with the twist ons.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice setup.. With that Bluetooth can you make phone calls aswell?

Old 08-24-2013, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by bharvey622
Nice setup.. With that Bluetooth can you make phone calls aswell?
No, it's only a Bluetooth receiver. I set my phone to only connect to it as "media", so that I can still use my Bluetooth headset for calls.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing stereo and still keeping Jag look

Hi Bill, thanks for the information. I decided to go with a new stereo and came across a faceplate on Craigslist that allows me to install a modern stereo in place of the stock cassette. I bought the faceplate but have not installed it as yet due to other issues. This is my first post/reply so I hope the photo is properly uploaded. Thanks, David

p.s. this faceplate works for 1998 to 2003 XJ8 See link below for more information. I am not trying to sell anything and have no connection with this company.

Jaguar XJ8 Radio Dash Kit * 1998-2003

Attached Thumbnails Adding "invisible" Bluetooth to your Jaguar-00u0u_ivlnvoal5qa_600x450.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by mclaw
Hi Bill, thanks for the information. I decided to go with a new stereo and came across a faceplate on Craigslist that allows me to install a modern stereo in place of the stock cassette. I bought the faceplate but have not installed it as yet due to other issues. This is my first post/reply so I hope the photo is properly uploaded. Thanks, David

p.s. this faceplate works for 1998 to 2003 XJ8 See link below for more information. I am not trying to sell anything and have no connection with this company.

Jaguar XJ8 Radio Dash Kit * 1998-2003
Welcome to the forum mclaw,

It did upload OK - a neat solution.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having two bluetooth connections at once

Hi,

It seems like a great solution. However, how does it work when you're already paired with jaguar built in bluetooth (that can only be used for making and receiving calls - no music)?

If i'm paired with both devices and listen to music via the Blu thing and receive a call, would the call take preference and also switch me back to music after i finish the phonecall?

Did anyone try that or knows the answer?

Btw. i'd install it in my X358 MY 2008.

Many thanks
Jake

Old 11-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by pesubapa
It seems like a great solution. However, how does it work when you're already paired with jaguar built in bluetooth (that can only be used for making and receiving calls - no music)?

If i'm paired with both devices and listen to music via the Blu thing and receive a call, would the call take preference and also switch me back to music after i finish the phonecall?
Hi Jake,

Most smartphones should let you designate a bluetooth connection to be "media only" or "calls only". So, I would try going into your phone's bluetooth settings and set the Jaguar bluetooth to "calls only". Then you should be able to pair with the Tranzit Blu and set it to "media only".