General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Suspension Failure 2004 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Suspension Failure 2004 XJR

Hi all,

New to posting. New to blogging. Want to contribute though. I just got an 2004 XJR. 100K, intermittent Air Susp Failure light. Runs great, tracks well. No excessive air motor noise. Pulled the code (Jag Coder) and got a leveling issue, but I was told to buy a completely rebuilt shock? After I cleared the code it took several days to come back. Still intermittent.

Seems like alot of money? Looks like an easy job however would hate to do it if it was just a cheap sensor or diode.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Before spending a whole lot of money chasing the wrong problem give us the code that was pulled, consider the possibility of replacing just a compressor seal, and take and check the stationary ride height in the morning BEFORE even touching the car, opening a door, or putting any keys in anything. You want the system to be totally asleep and settled into whatever its' neutral position might be.

The std. default ride height in such a circumstance is 386mm in front and 373mm in the rear when measured from the highest point on the fender wheel opening to the center of the wheel cap. That's 15.2 inches front and 14.7 inches in the rear. If you do have a bad air shock it should read low at that side in the rear and possibly low on both sides at the front as there is only one height sensor in the front and one on each side in the rear. The front end sensor can't read individual wheel heights so it just averages the pressure or height that it is reading and flashes a fault if it reads too low.

There are several ways to repair from buying a used low mileage unit from a salvage yard with some sort of warranty/guarantee, buying a new replacement from Jaguar or Arnott, or converting all four corners to coil-overs and never having to deal with the air shocks again.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension

My air suspension fault msg. came on for my 04 XJ8 with 78,000 miles on it, but only when there were people in my back seat(approximately two). When riding with only front passengers nothing happens, but noticed a small sag on drivers rear side and also hears a hiss for about 10 secs when I get out. Can anyone help me solve this issue?