General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Altering displayed mileage.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Altering displayed mileage.

Some while back there was a little controversy about whether Jaguars could be "clocked" (i.e. turn back the indicated mileage for a lower, false one) on the Jaguar digital readout.

While looking how to reset my service light via Google, I came across a Manchester UK firm advertizing the claim that they could perform such "mileage readjustment" as they call it on a Jaguar. It is shown here.

Mileage Correction Services Contact | Speedometer Repair | Odometer Adjustment | Digital Mileage Calibration

As far as I'm aware, it's not actually illegal to do such a thing to a car, but it IS illegal under the provisions of the 'Sale of Goods and Services' act to attempt to sell it with an altered mileage, the mileage reading having considerable influence with many people as to the valuation of the car.

I remember some years ago a couple of likely lads were tracked and caught by the police in the south of England for selling cars with fraudulant mileages. They got two years and were stripped of their profits, some £300,000.

Leedsman.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My S-Type had a problem with the dashboard printed circuit board. The Jaguar dealer deadlined the vehicle and paid for a rental car until Jaguar was able to provide a replacement PCB. I was told that it could be weeks before the part came in (it wasn't). I asked why I couldn't just drive it without the PCB. They said the mileage wouldn't clock and that this would be illegal.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Toller
My S-Type had a problem with the dashboard printed circuit board. The Jaguar dealer deadlined the vehicle and paid for a rental car until Jaguar was able to provide a replacement PCB. I was told that it could be weeks before the part came in (it wasn't). I asked why I couldn't just drive it without the PCB. They said the mileage wouldn't clock and that this would be illegal.
Im not even sure the car will run if the pcb is not there. I think the PATS would disable the car. I'll have to test that out sometime.