General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anyone able to offer advise I appreciate greatly.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Anyone able to offer advise I appreciate greatly.

So, trying to summarize as much as possible, without lacking details. I have previously owned a couple very nice x308's, it has however been a few years, I've been without for around 4 years. I recently had a donation from a friend of mine of a 2.5 liter 2003 X-Type, I believe is the x400? And while the car has remarkably low miles, it now has catalytic converters hacked off, by the buddy who donated it as they were his primary reason to get the car.. Sad.. And the pverall cosmetic condition of the car lets say has not been upkept very well. So I intend to revive it, and possibly donate to a family member after some cleaning, paint correction, sway bar ends, gaskets, and aftermarket catalytic replacements, or by learning to tune fuel to air with thks new information I have been researching. regardless, its likely to be a low investment lengthy process as it will simply be for curing bordem. Not the biggest fan of them either.

That said, I have found a 2004 Jaguar XJ8, ( non VDP, Non XJR, NON XJ8L ) Triple black finish, and with just over 100 k miles in very good condition. The concern is the owner lost original Keys yata yata and tried ordering replacements and failed to get them to program through whatever key cycle, other generic methods and is ready to be rid of the car, claiming he was quoted 3K at a jag dealer to reset and "marry" security components to de-activate, the immobilizer. Finances are tight but I can get the car for probably a grand in very good shape with brand new matching tires on all four, never in an accident and just over 100k on the dash, clear title. No mechanical issues in eyesight exam etc. Now to the question, Im learning more on this SDD, and Im seeing where there could be a lot of potential to correct this at home, while also learning some new methods and being able to help others also.. However before I download anything Im hoping someone or a few people could offer a couple straight forward answers to a couple questions, and possibly a few summarized key tips to related to my very possible new in depth research and time consuming interest lol.

Can one access a non corrupt, Non Malicious program that can be used at home to modify jaguar engineering?

Do I need one or two extra laptops to be cleaned and formatted for the sole purpose of various diagnostical / maintenance applications?

Is doing so legal?

Over all price expected to be invested in tools or software to be able to manipulate vehicles say a decade behind current time and older?

Is this a sore subject among Jag Technicians or scowled upon in these forums?

Are people here able to, or do they, or what is the cooth way, of exchanging cash gratuities for members who really invest effort in coaching and educating to a resolution of another members delimmas?

Thanks for anyone willing to respond, side note, yes I am semi-tech savy, I would not claim professional by any means, but likely highly more self taught with random focus areas of more formal education than a great majority of entry level newbs.. but still a newb regardless.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

98 XJ8, I can answer some of your questions. As for the X-Type, until you get the factory cats back on the car, it is not going to be a happy camper. Should be able to find some new headers (as they are part of the cats) and install them for not a lot of money, but will be a fair amount of time. From there, remaking the exhaust system will be the biggest expense. That would make for a good highway cruiser.

As for the XJ8. I would pose the question to the local dealership and ask them what they are going to charge. $3000 sounds really high. Granted, they may be mandating that you have to get factory keys through them. That is where most of the cost is going to be. Getting 2 keys cut and programmed for the car should be nothing more than about 2 hours of shop time which would cost you under $300. Granted, I would do some calling around to local locksmiths and see what some of them may be able to do for you. Because of not having 2 good keys, you are not able to program a new key yourself. You will need a computer that can override the self programming restriction (this was done to prevent valets from programming a new key with only having 1 working key). A system like SDD is a dealership level program and is a paid for program. so, any "free" versions out there are going to be illegal in some fashion. There are people that sell laptops with licensed versions out there and that will run you around $800 as I recall.

Being someone that has used a version of the software off of the internet, they do work. There are many members that have versions here. Not something that is talked about a lot. I would say that if you are to get one, get a version back around V1.43 or so. If you try and get the latest and greatest, it will try and auto update and then things will get very interesting. You only need a single laptop. This is where depending on the version that you get, the type of laptop may come into play. The original software was meant to be only put on a Panasonic Toughbook. Most of the free versions can be put on any laptop (just look at the program specs as the laptop must meet those). From there, get the install instructions. Do not be in a rush. I think it took me like 3 hours to get the software installed. SDD is not a fast program.

As for being scowled upon, I would not say that. people here are willing to assist as much as they can. Granted, doing things over the internet is not always the easiest. Most do not expect a monetary return. Like me, we do this for fun. We will do what we can, but we are not superman either. So, there is going to be a bit of a learning curve for yourself too. SDD is a powerful tool, but at the same time, as much as it can help, it can be a detriment too. this is where baby steps is going to be key. You will also find that getting yourself a good battery charger is going to be a needed tool (SDD wants to see the battery up at 13.5 VDC but the engine not running). It will work just on 12.6 VDC, but will give you an error warning, asking you to connect up an external power source.

As for price, I think the big trick will be what you have to pay for a good Mongoose cable. That is going to be the most expensive part overall normally. If you have an unused laptop, freebie. The software, freebie. The cable, they can get pricy and can run up into the $100-200 range. The big thing is making sure that the cable is designed for a Jaguar. the plugs on the ends are the same, but there are different listings for different manufacturers.

The following users liked this post:
beachbumfl (12-20-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
98 XJ8, I can answer some of your questions. As for the X-Type, until you get the factory cats back on the car, it is not going to be a happy camper. Should be able to find some new headers (as they are part of the cats) and install them for not a lot of money, but will be a fair amount of time. From there, remaking the exhaust system will be the biggest expense. That would make for a good highway cruiser.

As for the XJ8. I would pose the question to the local dealership and ask them what they are going to charge. $3000 sounds really high. Granted, they may be mandating that you have to get factory keys through them. That is where most of the cost is going to be. Getting 2 keys cut and programmed for the car should be nothing more than about 2 hours of shop time which would cost you under $300. Granted, I would do some calling around to local locksmiths and see what some of them may be able to do for you. Because of not having 2 good keys, you are not able to program a new key yourself. You will need a computer that can override the self programming restriction (this was done to prevent valets from programming a new key with only having 1 working key). A system like SDD is a dealership level program and is a paid for program. so, any "free" versions out there are going to be illegal in some fashion. There are people that sell laptops with licensed versions out there and that will run you around $800 as I recall.

Being someone that has used a version of the software off of the internet, they do work. There are many members that have versions here. Not something that is talked about a lot. I would say that if you are to get one, get a version back around V1.43 or so. If you try and get the latest and greatest, it will try and auto update and then things will get very interesting. You only need a single laptop. This is where depending on the version that you get, the type of laptop may come into play. The original software was meant to be only put on a Panasonic Toughbook. Most of the free versions can be put on any laptop (just look at the program specs as the laptop must meet those). From there, get the install instructions. Do not be in a rush. I think it took me like 3 hours to get the software installed. SDD is not a fast program.

As for being scowled upon, I would not say that. people here are willing to assist as much as they can. Granted, doing things over the internet is not always the easiest. Most do not expect a monetary return. Like me, we do this for fun. We will do what we can, but we are not superman either. So, there is going to be a bit of a learning curve for yourself too. SDD is a powerful tool, but at the same time, as much as it can help, it can be a detriment too. this is where baby steps is going to be key. You will also find that getting yourself a good battery charger is going to be a needed tool (SDD wants to see the battery up at 13.5 VDC but the engine not running). It will work just on 12.6 VDC, but will give you an error warning, asking you to connect up an external power source.

As for price, I think the big trick will be what you have to pay for a good Mongoose cable. That is going to be the most expensive part overall normally. If you have an unused laptop, freebie. The software, freebie. The cable, they can get pricy and can run up into the $100-200 range. The big thing is making sure that the cable is designed for a Jaguar. the plugs on the ends are the same, but there are different listings for different manufacturers.

Thermo, Im pretty sure that is one of the most down to earth and just personable responses I've seen any new member of a message board receive on the first post. (Lets not look at the fact my account is a 2014 when I joined purely to read and learn and never posted ) Thank you for that cordiality and selflessness. I pose to you this question given what information I have offered on the 04 xj8 and the picture provided. which I know lacks a lot of information. Would you pull the trigger and gamble the fight with the security for a grand? The rest of the exterior is equally as clean as is the interior, and 4 brand new matching quality tires, with 113k miles ish, no obvious fluid mixing concerns, or visible leaks, bushings arent appearing to have been abused, nothing looks hacked on, completely unmolested, no fearful brand new gaskets, or components from extreme recent fixes that could pose hidden bandages, seemingly nothing to reflect bad character on owners capacity to treat the vehicle well, nor obvious rough history on the vehicle. but again, cannot start, shift into gear, idle, listen, etc due to security. I cant get past I see a thousand dollars of at minimum redistributable without hassle good parts if nothing else. Gotta admit, I am somewhat partial to that gen xj series, and the color combination this specific one was manufactured with. Just a bit nervous about the security I suppose, and now rambling. Im familiar with GM security, as well as ford.. 04Jag xj, I am currently absolutely not. feels a bit as intimidating as an s500 or 750il of equal or newer era. Title is clear though no blemishes, and he has keys that were ordered. just not accepting programming or he is not taking his time or simply didnt want to fool with it further.

As for the X-type, I am not sure how motivated I will get to complete it. something about sharing a 4 cylinder with a daily ford economy commuter still hurts the vibe. I may likely part it out on this forum for free to those willing to pay shipping and in need with lesser means to attain them and in need

Last edited by 98 XJ8 VDP; 11-29-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

98 XJ8, if you are familiar with Ford's security system, then you are going to be right at home. The XJ shares some technology with what is found in similar year Fords. With that being said, go ahead, pull the trigger. I think you are going to get out the door for well under $2000 ($1000 for the car, $1000 for the security work). I would first start with a local locksmith. See what they can do for you. Even if it runs you $500, it is going to be a lot cheaper than getting your own SDD software in most cases and someone who is familiar with these sorts of systems will do the work for you. They will also have access to the information needed to get the keys properly cut for the ignition switch.

As for the X-TYpe, it is a V6 with a lot more power than your ford eco box. I had an X-Type for 7 years. I know the car all too well. You can talk with a forum member (Dr Dome), he will have a good set of cats for you and will give you a fair/good price on them. He parts out cars all the time. So, he has them just sitting at his place. If you can't get in touch with him, send me your info and I will get him in touch with you.

The following users liked this post:
beachbumfl (12-20-2020)