General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Anyone used a CarCoon car storage bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts
Default Anyone used a CarCoon car storage bubble?

If you use or have used a CarCoon bubble, please relay your experiences and recommendations. All types: indoor, outdoor, Veloce self-supporting. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

My Porsche 911/993 Turbo resides in a carcoon bubble. It's an outdoor type bubble but the car remains INSIDE a garage. Has resided there for almost 2 years to good effect. When I reconnect the battery the car starts first time. It's very clean and dry

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (09-09-2013)
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for that, Count. I realize these bubbles are used in soggy England so they must have some drying effect. You may be nearer the other extreme...double-bubble in a garage in a sunny Ca.

I'm planning to use the free-standing Carcoon Veloce bubble in a dirt-floored shed, in south-western Ontario. Just looking for some reassurance here.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Carcoon Veloce which I store my Jag in it in southern Ontario. This product is very well built with top notch materials. It works extremely well. The trickle charger is a bonus and a must. Car starts with the first crank in the spring. No dust, no musky smell, no animal nests, It works exactly as it is expected. I use the Veloce and actually use it all year round. In have a double garage and have two young boys, The carcoon keeps the car dent/ ding free as well. I prefer the Veloce for year round. Evo is also go for winter storage and a little cheaper (no frame). Hope this helps.

Mkii250 (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

What is the cost for the CarCon?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

Gus - if my conversion is correct - they start around $700 - they also have a modular work space/paint carcoon but didn't see a price there

Indoor Veloce Carcoon

Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Jagged1--great info, thank you.

Can you suggest a retailer? I emailed the UK and Canadian site and got nuthin'.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Be aware that if humidity levels or temperature swings are a concern in your storage area- the usual problems in Canada, these cocoons are of no benefit.

Mkii250 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Well,

Tel UK Telephone:
0044 161 737 9690

They are based in Manchester.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

What a out fuel vapors trapped in the container?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 PM

I am actually in the process of becoming the Ontario Dealer for Carcoon, Currently there is a place in UK! US and and one in BC. The freight and the duty from UK are higher then most people think. I can certainly assist younwith any questions you have about the product. I own a Jag and have a Carcoon myself and I am very passionate abut the product and how it works.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

My Porsche has now been in storage in the UK for 3 years. I uncovered it for the first time last month in those 3 years. I would like to give some constructive critism. I found the zip of the carcoon a bit weak with plastic teeth breaking off.

There was an oil leak under the Porsche-although I cant blame that on the car coon. Im at a loss to explain why this happened-especially in the UK where the temperatures aren't really that extreme (compared to MN where I live now!) The car is in immaculate and very clean condition after I uncovered it though.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:47 PM

hi Gus, Thats a good question. The Carcoon works in two ways
One way acting like a blow dryer, as you drive the car in there is usually moisture in the vehicle, under carriage, exhaust etc.. You drive in and zip up, Then you open the "vent zipper" approximately 18" labeled one end .(zipper closed) LONG TERM STORAGE and at the opposite of it (zipper open) "FULLY OPEN TO DRY". This will allow your vehicle to dry and the moisture to fully evaporate by using the two fans to dry the inside of the bubble. I usually leave it open after every drive for an hour or two and then close till the next outing.
The second the way the carcoon works is by exchanging the air in the bubble many times per hour and not allowing relative humidity to settle or do its thing. When you leave the carcoon with vent fully closed then the air circulates and filters air in and out, I always leave windows a couple of inches open and sunroof open. Remember, there is no worry about dust or anything causing havoc on your interior. Your car is in a bubble!

Hope this helps clarify and explain how it works.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jagged1

Hope this helps clarify and explain how it works.
Although there is some merit in the blowers slowly drying a wet car, what you've also described is how ambient air from the storage location is continuously pumped through the cocoon. If the ambient air is humid or salt laden, so is the air inside the cocoon. This also applies to temperature swings, potentially above and below the dew point, which would encourage condensation.

Humidity/condensation and temperature fluctuations over extended periods are the biggest concerns for vehicles in storage. The cocoons do not incorporate any means of regulating these variables, so stating it acts like a blow dryer is slightly misleading

If a garage has 80% relative humidity (not rare at all) then the relative humidity will still be 80% inside the cocoon, blowers or no blowers. Humidity should be kept below 40% to minimize corrosion of ferrous steel.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Seems like two members in snowy climates actually have them and like them.

In winter, at ambient outdoor temperatures the air tends to be quite dry. The air is even drier when warmed up from ambient barring the introduction of addional moisture.

And then, there is the benefit of keeping snow off the car which ought to be recognised as a benefit. Additionally, if the unit is in open sun, it will pick up heat during daylight hours and cool slowly at night. Solar heat and all that.

If it is found that the air is still not dry enough, there is always the possibility of adding a dehumidifier. A dehumidifier will work much better when it doesn't have to draw moisture out of the air that has been contributed by moisture laden wood forming the frame of a garage.

Finally, a bubble of air changes temperature relatively slowly as compared to open atmosphere. That's why building insulation is mostly air and why coolers are lined with styrofoam.

Mkii250 (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 AM

I'm not sure these devices are intended for outdoor storage (edit) in typical Canadian winters.

Last edited by Mikey; 09-11-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jagged1
I am actually in the process of becoming the Ontario Dealer for Carcoon...
When might this happen? Do you have a website?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I agree with the thought that this CarCoon is not designed for the outdoors anyone that has a pool can tell you how hot a plastic flotation device gets in the direct sun. That leads me to my question what about fuel vapors locked inside this CarCoon with the sun beating down on it and it being sealed up tighter than rubber band. The fuel in the tank must vent as the temperature changes, where is it to go?

I am not saying this CarCoon is a bad thing I just have a few concerns.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 AM

Gus, its natural to have concerns and all very valid. I had similar questions when first introduced to the product a few years ago. Two systems in place with a carcoon. 1)passive recirculation. This means vent zipper open for a few minutes and your ride become dry (blow dry) . Once the carcoon and car is dry. There is a great youtube video that shows a porches going in a carcoon and the exhaust pipe showing condensation vapour on the clear carcoon and shows the vapour slowly disappear in less then a minute with vent open. Moving on, once car is dry, (you close zipper) and now recirculation is active which will exchange the air 50 times per hour. Is there moisture in the air ? Yes. Is there relative humidity? Yes again, but keep in mind when the air is exchanged and filtered 50+times per hour the affects of corrosion are drastically reduced. When I pull my car out 5-6 months later it looks and smells as it did when it went into storage.

Hope this helps. I am not an engineer, nor do I profess to know moisture molecules or then process of corrosion, i can only comment on my experience and my personal opinion.

Hope it helps.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:15 AM

The Carcoon EVO or the frame structured brother VELOCE is not intended for outside. There is however an outdoor model available that has a double skin walls and ceiling for outdoor (i believe only available in Silver). That unit is intended for outdoors. You just need to keep the snow off it. The roof would support some snow but likely if you get a foot of snow then the roof would sag and possibly the lowest point could contact the room of your car. This would not cause damage to the car or the Carcoon but not the best scennario. Many people in hot and cold climates are using outdoor Carcoons in an open area with not issues. You would need a level ground area and a power outlet.

See the link for the video by Carcoon on the outdoor unit.

Outdoor Carcoon

Quick Reply: Anyone used a CarCoon car storage bubble?