General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Back to WDS and PDU software

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Back to WDS and PDU software

I'm not too happy to start a new thread on such a talked about issue but I can't find what I need....smile. All is good with my XJS but I have an Aston Martin DB7 GT and looking for the WDS -PDU software discs. I think most A M discs cover this. Mine is an 03. I need the engine diag, PATS, A C and antilock breaks cds. If you have these please let me know. I will gladly pay for copies etc. I'm a working man and you all know what dealerships can charge. I'm up here on and off but would love any response to gtoguru@gmail.com. Yea I'm the Pontiac GTO guy.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:57 PM
Received 8,179 Likes on 4,934 Posts

Do you have a Genrad GDS 3500?

Do you have the cables to connect the car?

I have some 2003 and 2005 AM CDs for the WDS. I loaded a 6.4gb HDD but I don't have the correct cables and the car to attach.(never tried the software)

The PDU is a 'whole nuther animal' than the WDS. I don't know if AM ever used it?

Old 12-25-2020, 11:54 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Do you have a Genrad GDS 3500?

Do you have the cables to connect the car?

I have some 2003 and 2005 AM CDs for the WDS. I loaded a 6.4gb HDD but I don't have the correct cables and the car to attach.(never tried the software)

The PDU is a 'whole nuther animal' than the WDS. I don't know if AM ever used it?
Thanks for responding Bob! I lost track of your threads on this mater and Bob B was able to point me to you but you got to me first.

Here I am with a DB7 problem I can’t solve without hard diagnostics. I’m retired now but keep my restoration shop and do all my own work so I will bite the bullet and spring for a Genrad GDS3500 if I must. I have my eyes on this one with docking station:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXCELLENT-F...97.m4902.l9144.

But first I need to locate all software for my 2003 DB7 GT. Cables are always a challenge and I would then go on the hunt. Like our Jags the number of cables for the different module connections is endless and hard to find. My current headache is a no-start PATS com problem. I would love to explain the history of this problem with you if you have time. Your input would be invaluable.

You are very right about WDS and PDU differences. They don’t even look similar and impossible to acquire. The DB7 has the 2 OBD2 ports, lower plug is engine diag, upper is most of the rest including ABS, Anti lock, PATS etc. Without software you can’t read codes. My other OBD2 tools give me a com error and will not read them from that port. I also don’t want to spring for a Foxwell with AM software if it can’t handle 2003 PATS. Anyway I want programming ability to marry modules.

Those CDs you have for the 03 DB7 and 05 DB9, DBS etc. are priceless. Have you ever tried to load those disks in your WDS? Loaded they will give the release data etc. and may disclose the PATS area in a menu.

My car is a Sphinx on the lift right now and heart breaking. Looking forward to your reply. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! gtoguru (John)

Old 12-25-2020, 12:12 PM

I have installed the software onto a HDD and the VIN screen comes up, never went any farther with it and just threw the drive in a drawer.

I did send the software copy to some people and they stated that it did not work. (don't know if the files are corrupted)

Maybe later I'll try to find the CDs and the HDDs but I have not looked at that in a few years.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:15 PM
Default WDS-PDU software for Aston Martin DB7 V12 GT

motorcarman! Now I remember the threads from a few years back. I was once told that WDS software only loads and works on the original. I question that but who knows. Copies you sent out may be fine and other problems were at cause. I know enough Karate to get beat up when it comes to this. I was interested in your opinion of this WDS I'm looking at.

The only way for me to know if I have a bad main control module or a bad PATS module is get the codes. Dealer wants $400 to bring it in and then I will be at their mercy on parts cost. This will simply not be as cost effective as DYI.

I've checked the battery and it's good. Both keys are the same and worked well with the PATS module prior to this. Key ring transponder is live and transmits at least as much as my test ring shows. Cables between all modules checked and good. Checked all fuses and electrics related to 'no-start issues via my AM factory shop manuals. My manual has the full PDU procedure at the end of the PATS section, ho well.

The way I understand this PATS system is when you put the key in and go to the on position the key will transmit via the transponder ring and aerial the key code to the PATS module. In turn it communicates this info to the main ECM where the key codes are stored ffor approval. If the code is good, the main ECM will allow the car to start. Do I have this right? Sounds so Ford to me.

Anyway if there is something I have not thought of or tested please advise. My intuition is the problem may be in either the PATS module or the main ECM. I know the key codes are stored in the ECM and the PATS module is only passing info. The other headache is the PATS module is married to the main ECM and would require a WDS or PDU to do anything. The dash PATS light does a slow flash after on position for 3 seconds then one minute rapid flashes until it flashes out error code 16. This is an SCP communications error. could be fragged key codes in the main ECM or aliens. Any ideas?

Old 12-29-2020, 01:47 PM

I did hear a rumor that the AM uses it's own B cables (like early Jaguar uses B203)

Once the VID block Jaguar cars were introduced, you could use the Ford B cables.

The AM HDD I had in my cabinet is INOP!!!!!!!
The HDD just 'hammers' and it shows 'boot-fail'.
I have been replacing all the motorized drives with Compact Flash cards and 44 pin adapters.

Maybe I'll try a 8gb CF and load the AM software.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:28 AM

That would be great Bob. I went ahead and bought the WDS I showed the
link. It's been a long time since I used the WDS. many years ago when
I was working as a mechanic the shop had one. My Ford motorhome is
based on an F250 and would be handy to troubleshoot it if necessary.
The machine I bought will be loaded "Ford" i think. I will probably
have to rebuild the battery pack in it (time gets to all of us) but
the dock looks great in photos. When I get the machine I will try what
you did and add an external HDD so I don't mess with the Ford drive.
Spinning fossils die. I would be interested in how you socket a flash
card with a 44 pin ribbon. I'm hunting for a 203b cable right now.
Pretty sure that was common to Jag. My XJS would be very happy too.
Any AML CDs, ghost or otherwise would be a great start. I need to get
my hands on Windozzze 98 again too. I have XP and wonder if I can load
WDS software over that? Do you know if WDS uses RS232 comm protocol?
Anyway if you are successful at loading your AM software on a flash
card and get to the VIN screen that would be a God sent. Is your AM
software AML CD-13? Sorry for tons of question. Happy New Year! John

Old 01-02-2021, 02:55 PM

I could sure use a copy of Jag Ghost disk CD2 If it can be had. I have a WDS now and will need to change software.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:27 PM

FYI motorcarman I did some checking around and Aston Martin did use the WDS. I got a copy of the official Aston Martin WDS manual. It shows all the WDS parts and software with Aston Martin part numbers. They are really something. Also the AM cable is the same as Jag 203b and the AM software is AML CD-13. Last rel covers up to and including 2007 DB9 and then that's it. Cheers!

Old 01-03-2021, 11:25 AM

Lots of good stuff there. Thank-you! I found this the other day for free.

https://winworldpc.com/download/417d71c2-ae18-c39a-11c3-a4e284a2c3a5