General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Best wax

Hello all

I am on a journey of trying to detail my 99 XKR.

I have learned that the orbital polisher is the best way to apply wax after a wash. I am using a Karcher K4 to rinse first and then use Jeff's body wash in it which contains no wax. After a rinse I will dry with a microfiber drying towel which goes in the wash after every clean.

At the moment I am using a cheap spray wax, Triplewax which I put on a damp microfiber cloth and buff off with the orbital polisher panel by panel.

It works well but needs an application every few weeks. Happy to do that.

I would be a bit nervous about going down the ceramic coating route as this may seal in any imperfections in my view. Even if I get it done professionally I worry that I might spot a bit that is not quite right. At least with a natural wax then you can "fettle" it. Also I have heard that ceramic coating does not work great on older red cars.

I have managed to get rid of the swirls under the garage light bulb and the finish is good, but there are still little lines and micoscratches.

I really want to try to get that perfect finish that the bloke from Wheeler Dealers achieves... you know.. the Californian guy called Mel who looks like an old Don Johnson?

So can anyone recommend the best wax to use or would I just be wasting my money?

Cheers guys, any advice is really appreciated

Steve 👍

Old 08-10-2022, 06:21 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts
Default PS

I have some Colour Magic Red Wax but I would not want to use it on the whole car. It is very good for filling minor stone chips and slight paintwork correction but it is very thick, messy and gooey and it takes a lot of buffing off and leaves a different shade until it is properly buffed off. Just my opinion, not a fan of "colour match" waxes although they have their uses.