General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A big Welcome to our newest 'tech'!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default A big Welcome to our newest 'tech'!

Would like to introduce a recent forum member signee - myglimk2

Saw this guy giving all sorts of technical advice and recognized something a little more advanced than a typical home mechanic. Emailed him, and lo-and-behold, he's a jag tech up in the NE (Connecticut to be exact).

I've had a couple emails back and forth with him, and he expressed a higher level of experience towards the x-type as this is his most common model that he works on. He'll be a great addition to our group in all the model areas, and especially that branch of the forum with as much activity as it is getting recently.

Everyone please go easy on the new guy, and be sure to welcome him onboard in the best way you know how.

Cheers! Here's my personal welcome...some warm chocolate chip cookies, fresh from the oven!

Last edited by H20boy; 04-07-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

A very warm welcome myglimk2. It is always great that after a hard day at work you Tech guys are willing to give up some of your free time to help out us mere mortals.

If you get bored over in the X-Type section and fancy a change of scene, just pop into the older XJ sections, you will be very welcome (mind you once you step through the door, the auto locking mechanism will kick in and you will never leave;-)

All the very best,

Old 04-08-2010, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  19.3 KB

Welcome aboard myglimk2...+1 on all of the above
You guys do a fantastic job and the advice and technical expertise given to help our members is greatly appreciated by all.

If you ever have any issues or there is anything we can help with, please don't hesitate to contact myself via pm/email or any of the mods.

Hope you continue to enjoy the site

Old 04-08-2010, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Yea! We love our techs.

Here's my contribution, you can't have cookies without a nice glass of milk:

Old 04-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome myglimk2. it's always good to see a tech willing to give us plebs a little good advice.
It is always appreciated.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome new tech. I've been gone about a year but drive a XK8 and may need an expert. Nice to see h20boy is a moderator.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Veteran member

luvmyk9, you have been gone forever it seems, the XK8 must be treating you well.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

welcome!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome...myglimk2

h2Oboy... don't new techs get a kiss from Supermod?

Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

KEWL, NOW I can retire!!!!

Old 05-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO, Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!
I don't get very much time to come on here. But I promise I will pop in from time to time!!

LOL, Brutal. I'm better with the mechanical side of these cars. You seem to know alot about the electrical. I've been with Jaguar since OCT 2002. So when I came into this line I was mainly given all the X-Type trannys and mostly all the issues with the X-Types, cause I was the "young guy in the shop". Hell, I was doing transmission from start to finish in 2.25 hrs! Oil pan gaskets in .75 hr (only one in the shop who still drops the subframe to do the gaskets!).

The X-Type model is no more, so now I am slowly but surely learning more about the other models elctrical systems.
My Father was a Jaguar Tech for 21 years! He was a wizz with there systems, sadly electrical is not my strong point.....Yet! He's now a cert. Mini Cooper Tech. He hates em, and would love to work on Jag's again, lol.

myglimk2

Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

welcome myglimk2. hope we do not take up all your time.

hang in there Brutal, you could never leave us

Old 05-10-2010, 05:30 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes indeed, a WELCOME! to myglimk2 from Leeds, UK. Good to see real professionals on this website, the best of it's type around.
Leedsman.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by myglimk2
My Father was a Jaguar Tech for 21 years! He was a wizz with there systems, sadly electrical is not my strong point.....Yet! He's now a cert. Mini Cooper Tech. He hates em, and would love to work on Jag's again, lol.

myglimk2
We can help him out a little. Get him signed up as a member, he'll be able to work on all the Jags he can handle, and not even need to get his hands oily.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Translator
We can help him out a little. Get him signed up as a member, he'll be able to work on all the Jags he can handle, and not even need to get his hands oily.
Use the undisputable logic he can keep his mind sharp, his troubleshooting and diagnostic skills at their peak...though the pay sucks.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Just a point or 2 about the care and feeding of our Jag Techs and Moderators; I've noticed that over time they start to fade away as they get burned out dealing with the same old issues as newbys come and go. Therefore:

1. Old hands shoud not be shy about stepping up to address recurrent issues.

2. Many of our new guys do not appreciate the power of the search function in finding answers/advice. Tell them about it. Nicely if you please.

3. Don't let anybody who bad mouths automotive pros in general go unchallanged. Unless, of course, said pros are also members of Congress.

4. And do respond when you get your issue figured out. It seems so ungratefull when a JagTech or Moderator sets you right and you don't have the common courtesy to say "thanks that got it" or "that was not it , but this was".

Our Jag Techs and Moderators are like Democrats in North central FL, they got to be be saved and protected like an endangered species.

Last edited by user 2029223; 05-10-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

Well put Tarheal couldn't have put it much better myself.

Understandably, I guess, some techs come n go, as do members, everyone moves on in life.
As far as the techs go, we feel the pain a little sometimes cos of the super knowledge that they share freely, as well as the craic with some like Brutal, Jagtechohio and FJT when he was around.
Anyone who does not appreciate techs and what they offer / or mistreat them will be dealt with swiftly with very little warning.
I do think that in general "most" members offer up some gratitude with a thanks thats sorted, or similar, but you are right about the search function, we NEED to promote it more!
Its a fine line however, between trying to help someone, and posting up....DO A SEARCH as I've seen on some forums which is very cold and unwelcoming.
The moderators too do their bit, and welcome newbies / offer help and advice as well as promote the vendors of the forum and moderate any likely troublemakers...worth their weight in Gold

Don't know about the endangered species thing with regards to techs / mods but a nice sentiment nonetheless

Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found out some bad news today .My dealership is no longer a Jaguar Dealer. The owner of my dealer and Jaguar (Franchise) could not come to an agreement on a few things. So, the owner did away with the Jaguar franchise.
We will be slowly winding down from Jaguar and should be completly out of the building between 60-90 days.
To be honest, it was a depressing day for me. Iv'e been working on these just short of a decade and now there will be no more. :*(

I will still be on here and help you guys to the best of my ability.

Also, if there is anyone in CT who needs non warranty work you can contact me if you need service done to your vehicle. I specialize in X-Types

myglimk2

Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 8,077 Likes on 4,872 Posts

"I didn't leave the Jaguar Dealer, The dealer left ME"

WOW that sucks. I started my own shop after harder/more complicated jobs with less warranty compensation drove me to rethink my situation so think about a niche market in your area. A good diagnostic mechanic is getting harder to find because so many throw parts at the fault. The problem is buying a WDS or IDS for proper diagnosis (pricey). You will miss calling Jaguar Tech Hotline for in depth technical questions but the internet (and this forum) is an amazing source of info.

bob gauff

Old 05-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Im gonna be alittle BRUTAL right now Myglimk2.suck it up and get to work. You have an excellant opportunity right now...talk to your dad, go to the small business admin and see what your market area can support. You have alot of Jaguar owners that just lost a good place for service. Talk to ex-coworkers too. Your gonna need capitol but most of all a good business plan and alot of research. With a good business plan and research work done you can get the capitol. If you and maybe 1 other(Idont know your market area) are gonna fix cars, you need someone to handle the front end, phone, parts, customers, and books for now. Wife, mom, or ????? Make sure you do and handle extended warranty companies, they will be your saving grace. Now get to work, time is not on your side, youll find out 1 of 2 things.
1) its IS a great opportunity and your market can handle a new Jaguar shop
2) it cant and thats why the owners bailed on Jaguars..
.good luck

Quick Reply: A big Welcome to our newest 'tech'!