General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Braided/woven ground straps

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,876 Likes on 7,153 Posts
Default Braided/woven ground straps

Braided ground straps have been around forever and are still widely used. Something I've often wondered, though, is "why"?

Is there a particular advantage to using a *braided strap* ground/earth versus ground *wire* of appropriate gauge?

I'm guessing it's a matter of flexibility. Is that correct? If so, is that all there is to it? Is there an advantage in terms of electrical function?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Doug, I think you answered your own question. Undoubtedly the braided strap is much more flexible than a wire, and probably costs less than a wire too. However, where does one find a definitive answer ?

The following users liked this post:
Doug (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Doug,

I agree with the thinking, and have no idea why, EXCEPT, that any fool messing with lectrickery will always recogmise the braided as an EARTH, whereas if it was a "normal" type wire maybe not.

I mistook the fibre optic strands for "black is earth" a very long time ago, about when I started the JD soother method.

You and I both know the fiasco those braided earths caused at the V12 LH engine mount, especially when they got grease and oil fouled.

Doug (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Doug, I think you answered your own question. Undoubtedly the braided strap is much more flexible than a wire, and probably costs less than a wire too. However, where does one find a definitive answer ?

It may be as simple as that. I did some quick Googling and found nothing. Since there are SO many things I don't know I often assume there's a more complex answer out there somewhere ! Maybe, though, this is one case where there isn't?

Cheers
DD

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Doug,

I agree with the thinking, and have no idea why, EXCEPT, that any fool messing with lectrickery will always recogmise the braided as an EARTH, whereas if it was a "normal" type wire maybe not.

True enough!

I mistook the fibre optic strands for "black is earth" a very long time ago, about when I started the JD soother method.

I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one who has made that mistake! Gah!

You and I both know the fiasco those braided earths caused at the V12 LH engine mount, especially when they got grease and oil fouled.
Oh yeah!

In fact it was reading one of your postings on that very subject that prompted me to ask the question....after years of wondering.

Cheers
DD

Grant Francis (05-21-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Working in the power industry, we deal wit the braided ground straps all the time. You are correct on 2 accounts. The first being that if you see a braided cable, you know it is ground. The second being that it is much more flexible than standard cable and therefore, when dealing with moving items (ie, the engine rocking around inside the engine bay, wires vibrating due to bumps in the road, etc), the braided cable is going to handle this movement a lot better. As for cheaper, not so. Check out the price of braided cable. It can get down right expensive. Granted, I am also sometimes dealing with some braided cable that is about as big around as your wrist (gotta love working around 500KV lines).

In reality, a braided cable serves the same function as a standard wire. Granted, I would not recommend using the braided cable as your power source as this can lead to a nice fireworks show should you drop something on it (boy was that pretty, LMAO).

Doug (05-20-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 05:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

In the UK automotive industry, braided Earth/Ground straps are used when there is designed movement between the item being earthed and the earth point e.g. an engine on Metalastik mountings and the body/frame.

This is why the battery has a conventional Earth/Ground cable - there is no movement between the clamped battery and the earth connection to the body.

Graham

Fraser Mitchell (05-21-2014)