General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 02:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Rotors

Hi all,
I need to replace brakes and rotors, but I don't think I have the info I need. I have a 2002 XJR 100. The wheels are 19" and the calipers say "Jaguar". Is this the same as the Brembo option? I've always seen Brembo on Brembo calipers, but this may have been a deal between the 2 mfgs. The difference between the Brembo option and other std option drives me to rotor/pad choices defined by the 2 calipers.
Also I'm looking for a Cryo treated rotor. Years of sports car racing have me convinced that Cryo is a very meaningful technology. TireRack who sell Cryo rotors have no rotors of any kind available for the XJR. I can ship them out for Cryo after I buy, but it is easier to simply buy that way. Any suggestions for finding drilled rotors?

Old 12-11-2022, 08:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

flescher, I would first start with talking with a vendor here, JagBits. A lot of guys have used them to find parts that they can't find elsewhere. They will atleast be a starting point. They also offer some great services.

After that, you may need to start doing some measuring and seeing if the rotors are truely different or if it is just the caliper that has some writing on it. I did a quick look on e-bay and they had some cryo cross-drilled/slotted rotors for 2002 XJ8's and for the supercharged Vanden Plas. So, not sure if what you need would vary from that. The rotors were $200 each. The fronts were 12.01" in diameter. That may be a dimension that you can measure and see if we are atleast close.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:50 AM
Received 303 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Measure twice, order once!

Originally Posted by Thermo
flescher, I would first start with talking with a vendor here, JagBits. A lot of guys have used them to find parts that they can't find elsewhere. They will atleast be a starting point. They also offer some great services.

After that, you may need to start doing some measuring and seeing if the rotors are truely different or if it is just the caliper that has some writing on it. I did a quick look on e-bay and they had some cryo cross-drilled/slotted rotors for 2002 XJ8's and for the supercharged Vanden Plas. So, not sure if what you need would vary from that. The rotors were $200 each. The fronts were 12.01" in diameter. That may be a dimension that you can measure and see if we are atleast close.
Chris, your recommendation to measure the rotors can't be over stated. Even the JLR catalog has been found, on ocassion, to be in error with respect to OEM rotor size,
So, before having heavy rotors shipped, measure twice and order once.,

Old 12-11-2022, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Just a note about Cryo treating disc's? I have done this and it does work as advertised. Now one downside which is never mentioned is if the caliper starts dragging or you wear the pad into the backing plate you will damage the rotor. So that's the end of one expensive rotor! Now I don't know for sure but can a Cryo treated rotor be turned?
I ended up replacing it so I don't know. I had them treated after I purchased the rotor's because as you found out I could not find ones that came already treated. But there are plenty of places that will treat them.

If you don't damage them they will last a VERY long time. In fact that's what I got bit on! I had so little wear on the brakes I sorta stopped looking at things. I had ceramic brake pads and Cryo treated rotors so almost no wear at all. Plus little to no brake dust. Then a sticking caliper happened.

After that one experience I have not treated anymore rotor's but would be open to doing it again in the future.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A racing experience

I did a test on cryoing rotors in the late 90s. We were racing Mid-Ohio for the runoffs (FP Spridget), and Cryo was suggested for the critical braking spots. So one day I ran non-cryo rotors one session and with Cryo the next. There were two things noticed at the end of the back straight, the most critical and fastest point on course. First and always pleasing was shorter braking distances but NOT by a mile, but a slight improvement is always a pleasure. Much more important was the consistency of braking, which resulted in being able to shorten the required braking distance. Every time I hit the brakes at the end of the backstretch, they acted exactly the same; no dartiness, no side to side variability. etc. None of the things you increase braking distance in case of ..... Long life was also seen but that wasn't the prime variable for racing.
What I learned has me using Cryo treatment for every car I own, and not because of longer lasting, but because of lack of variability in braking. Not like in racing but because when you need it you need it NOW!

Also, of course you can turn a cryoed rotor, but...... The mass of the rotor is one thing the mfgrs specifically design to because the mass of the rotor determines how fast a rotor heats up and how hot it gets. Every set of brake pads loses some breaking at hotter temps (save racing pads that need a lot of heat to actually work and are useless in the street). Getting a rotor too hot, especially when it is thinner, is a recipe for potato chips. I just ordered a set of tires for $1100. And I want to save $100/wheel using lighter rotors? NOT!

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Just a note about Cryo treating disc's? I have done this and it does work as advertised. Now one downside which is never mentioned is if the caliper starts dragging or you wear the pad into the backing plate you will damage the rotor. So that's the end of one expensive rotor! Now I don't know for sure but can a Cryo treated rotor be turned?
I ended up replacing it so I don't know. I had them treated after I purchased the rotor's because as you found out I could not find ones that came already treated. But there are plenty of places that will treat them.

If you don't damage them they will last a VERY long time. In fact that's what I got bit on! I had so little wear on the brakes I sorta stopped looking at things. I had ceramic brake pads and Cryo treated rotors so almost no wear at all. Plus little to no brake dust. Then a sticking caliper happened.

After that one experience I have not treated anymore rotor's but would be open to doing it again in the future.