General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bulletin: JAB00007

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,178 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default bulletin: JAB00007

Has anyone got the text for bulletin JAB00007?

It details the model coverage for J2534-2 interfaces with SDS.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Has anyone got the text for bulletin JAB00007?

It details the model coverage for J2534-2 interfaces with SDS.
Here are the bulletins for both sides of the pond.......

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1-242NAS.pdf (124.8 KB, 1792 views)
File Type: pdf
JAB00007UK.pdf (107.5 KB, 1587 views)
The following users liked this post:
plums (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for finding those.

It looks like the community has alternatives for scanners other than the VCM.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks for finding those.

It looks like the community has alternatives for scanners other than the VCM.
Yeah, I have the Mongoose JLR also, it works really good for most things. I have found I sometimes have to double check it by following up with the VCM to be sure. Seems the X-Type, for one, doesn't always report codes correctly with the Mongoose. Don't know why. I've done some pretty hefty programming with it though; even on the 2011's.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
plums (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member

That's good to hear.

While the Drew Tech Mongoose JLR isn't chump change, it's a *lot* better than the cost of a VCM. It gets to be competitive with the AutoEnginuity which apparently cannot program modules even with the Jaguar extensions.

Did Drew happen to explain the difference between the JLR and their more generic Mongoose?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 AM

That's good to hear.

While the Drew Tech Mongoose JLR isn't chump change, it's a *lot* better than the cost of a VCM. It gets to be competitive with the AutoEnginuity which apparently cannot program modules even with the Jaguar extensions.

Did Drew happen to explain the difference between the JLR and their more generic Mongoose?
They are different because of the many variations among manufactures for module programming. If the J1962 connector was for OBDII alone, they would all be the same. The connector has some pins unassigned by the SAE standard, and the manufacturer can use them as they see fit. The Mongoose line of interfaces are intended to be used with the manufacturer software, consequently there has to be some variations in the interfaces. Attached is a nice chart showing the different Mongoose pinouts. As you can see, the JLR is the busiest of the bunch!

Hope that helps!

Attached Thumbnails bulletin: JAB00007-drewtech-pinouts.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 8,045 Likes on 4,853 Posts

I called Drew Technologies several years ago and talked with the wife that co-owns the company and asked if the Mongoose would operate with Jaguar software. She did not know and told me to call back and she would ask her husband and some other tech guys.

I had a nice conversation with her and found out that they used to live here in the DFW area of TX and moved away years ago.

She told me that nobody could answer my question of compatibility so I never bought the unit.

What software version is compatible with the Mongoose???

I have DVD 43, DVD 101 & 102 (the first 3 software releases)

Does the Mongoose have a subscription type firmware built in or just a stand-alone unit that can use older versions of DVD Jaguar software????

I have not talked to the company since my original question (2007 or 2008???)

Maybe I planted an idea for Jaguar compatibility???

bob gauff

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I called Drew Technologies several years ago and talked with the wife that co-owns the company and asked if the Mongoose would operate with Jaguar software. She did not know and told me to call back and she would ask her husband and some other tech guys.

I had a nice conversation with her and found out that they used to live here in the DFW area of TX and moved away years ago.

She told me that nobody could answer my question of compatibility so I never bought the unit.

What software version is compatible with the Mongoose???

I have DVD 43, DVD 101 & 102 (the first 3 software releases)

Does the Mongoose have a subscription type firmware built in or just a stand-alone unit that can use older versions of DVD Jaguar software????

I have not talked to the company since my original question (2007 or 2008???)

Maybe I planted an idea for Jaguar compatibility???

bob gauff
Hey Bob,

My understanding is they have been waiting in the wings for the mandate that required Jaguar and others to make their stuff work with an interface standard. So here we are.

The Mongoose JLR will work with IDS/SDD DVD 125 or later. Or maybe it's better said IDS/SDD will work with the Mongoose. However, I haven't been able to get the IDS portion of DVD 125 to work; the SDD part works fine, well, a little clunky, but it works. So that means the older cars that AREN'T covered by SDD can't be communicated with. I also have the current DVD 128 loaded and IDS works OK with the Mongoose, it just tries to use SDD and when it is not a covered vehicle, it hands the VIN over to Legacy IDS and runs it. As I said before, I just have to be wary and if something doesn't seem to make sense, go get the VCM and double check with it.

Cheers,