General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Butyl material Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Butyl material Question

I have checked every part store in Dallas and a number of paint and hardware stores and thus far- a no go. In fact and it is a general issue with me, most of the people in these places never know anything about anything. I have found some online but it requires curing.

What I am looking is the rubber butyl material for the seal on the inside of the dorr tim. you know- that black sticky stuff , that never seems to dry out, that seals the water shield in the door.

Where to get it- is a major question.

I look forward to your intelligent answers.

Tom in Dallas
05- S-Type 3.0

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Jazz, I am not sure where you would find it, but you may want to try some stuff called silicon caulking (like they use for sealing up showers and exteriors of houses). This stuff will hold the plastic to your door structure and is also water proof. That can be picked up at any hardware store in town.

As for the stuff that you are after, check out a local automotive paint store. I am sure they will atleast have an idea of where to get it. May want to also talk to a local automotive upholstery shop. I'm sure they will know what you are talking about and be able to give you an idea of where to find in the local area.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

try a glass company (the ones that replace windshields) some times they have small quantities that they will give you , as they come with the windshields as part of the installation

Old 08-26-2010, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Not 100% sure what you are trying to acheive, but a non setting mastic might be what you are after.

Have a read here. Non Setting Mastic.

This should give you an idea about what to ask for in your hardware suppliers.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Check out the first 2 items. I have used this stuff for years.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...beXB20NJQ19Wgl

Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

I am sure everyone on this site who has worked on their cars has seen the stuff. If you take off the door trim and then try to remove the gray colored (on my Jag) water seal that fits over the openings of the door- you will find it to be a black butyl material. I am sure it is the type that yjsy comes with the front and back side covered with a tape and then you peel off and stick the seal to the door. That is important to keep water out. As I indicated, I have a small gap somewhere in that seal that allows a few drips to come between the door trim and the door and they drop directly on the the bottom of the rear door aperture seal, pool up and then hit the plastic trim and onto the carpet. I have test and know and can see where the water is coming from. I asked a senior jag tech about this and here is the answer:

You most likely have water leaking inside the door getting past the water shield. This shield is over the inside of the door and sometimes the water will leak past this.You need to remove the door panel to inspect t the sealant on the water shield. Usually the water will drip into the door and past that sealant. It only takes a very small gap for the water to leak past.There are two drains on the bottom of the door so as long as they are not clogged it should not matter how much water is in the door. The seal is butyl tape seal.

So that is what I am trying to find and it seems that ever though I live in Dallas ( actually a serge version of Waco) this is the hardest thing to come about. I have found a thinner and much too wide version at Home depot that is used for roofing, but that will not adapt and if you ask other people in a paid position to know- it is like going to an Auto parts store and asking a serious question to someone that does not have any serious answers.

help is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Old 08-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

I just gave up trying to find the sealant material and went to the dealer and spent $57 to get the seal and the attached sealant. The seal was not damaged, but this is like trying to find the perfect woman on the planet. Too much time for little return-- Ha!!

Tom

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Amen to that, also if youre getting water in between the 2 seal at the bottom to the point that water comes out when you open the door. Take a pair of side cutters or scissors and put a triangular notch at the seal bottom to let water drain out the bottom to the outside of the car. There was either a tech bulletin or email about this years ago

Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Just Google Butyl tape!

http://www.butyltape.org/

Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know a bit about butyl rubber from the electronics world. Its main characteristic is that you can't melt it with a soldering iron, therefore the flexes/powercords on many quality irons are -- butyl rubber. E.g. Weller. You can get larger diameter butyl rubber in some very expensive flexes used in hot surroundings. Beware though, there is a cheaper "heat-resistant" flex available that's not butyl. I understand many swimming pools are butyl rubber.
Leedsman.