General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CAN bus hacking Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:14 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Any idea why they freaked out and said don't do it?

Old 10-23-2020, 07:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fivel
Any idea why they freaked out and said don't do it?
He wanted no responsibility

Old 10-24-2020, 06:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there, been following this with great interest.
I would just like to know what OS you are using on the Pi.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:22 AM

MOST uses a different connector housing like this: TYCO 1-1394640-1 for POF MOST
do you plan on testing this out?https://www.simplemedianetworks.com/...ical-interface

i did find a company that has a MOST https://mobridge.us/product/da-g2-pro-most25/ has some compatibility not sure if this is everything. claims its compatible
Analog Outputs
  • 10 channels RCA full-range
  • 4V RMS
  • 192kHz Sampling 24-bit digital to analog converter (DAC)
Digital TOSLINK Output
  • Stereo TOSLINK output
Vehicle Interface
  • Support for volume/fade/balance on factory radio and/or steering wheel
  • Support for all factory-fitted audio sources (eg telephone/navigation/voice recognition/television/dvd) (where applicable)
  • Support for reverse park sensor audio overlay (where applicable)
  • Support for factory multi-band equalizer (where applicable)

Last edited by slash32487; 10-26-2020 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rhys Morgan
Wow that's some pretty interesting info, do you know where abouts the WinCE library can be found?

I have already pretty much conceded that the MOST bus is going to be a blocker to complete removal, it's a shame as on my cl500 there are after market adapters to allow normal headunit to function over the MOST bus, however doesn't seem to be anything out there for the XF, or any jag for that matter.

In my head currently the best case scenario is to install the screen over the top of the old, and just rely on the aux input, on benefit of this is that certain messages most likely won't be decoded, ie tpms error. As (thankfully) my car does not have every error present to decode...... However I'm sure these details would be contained in the original library some where
this company claims to function over the MOST and claims to be compatible.
https://mobridge.us/product/da-g2-pro-most25/

Old 10-29-2020, 10:46 AM

MOST uses a different connector housing like this: TYCO 1-1394640-1 for POF MOST
I found an interesting write up. https://www.alexwhittemore.com/more-...is-bmw-module/

The bmw Mulf2 has a transceiver with a MOST25 chip theyr are available on ebay for $50-$100.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:00 AM
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This is amazing but WAY over my head, but I am happy it's able to be done by DYI'ers.
Rock on!

Old 11-02-2020, 02:18 PM

anyone have experience with this? MOST optical and coaxial amplifiers ? Fiberdyne Systems

looks like it takes your new radios analog left/right audio and digitizes it and sends it to the factory amp and turns the amp volume up. The actual volume control is the analog audio levels coming from the radio so we never adjust the amps volume digitally. The radios bass/treble/balance all come from the radio. Fade will not work though as MOST is only stereo and has no way of knowing that the radio is fading. You will lose anything else on MOST like the CD changer, factory BT phone etc.

im assuming this means i will also lose the stock microphone.

what else is on the MOST that will be lost here that is wanted?

Old 11-02-2020, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,227 Likes on 2,370 Posts

These are the modules that are MOST dependent and are controlled by the touch screen.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, looks like I've missed alot here, apologies.

For my system I have pretty much resigned to the fact that most will be an issue for now. I am thinking that relocation of the touch screen is the best option, either in the glovebox, under the seat, or in the boot, where ever. Most functions can be integrated over can, using the most gateway that sits under the CD player. The only real function that will be lost, will be selecting a source. But you will be able to scroll through, but just not specifically select one. To be honest, running this system in my car for over a year now, there seems to be no need to have access to anything else, spotify, radio apps, and google maps pretty much takes over all the old functionality thats tied to most. The factory microphone can be wired direct to the Pi.

I think its worth remembering, that getting a device onto most is just the first step, I would then imagine that decoding the messages would be a job in itself, for what I class as not much gain. Dont get me wrong, if I get to the point of investigating into it I will, but for now I dont see it as a priority

Old 11-06-2020, 10:12 AM

Wow, looks like I've missed alot here, apologies.

For my system I have pretty much resigned to the fact that most will be an issue for now. I am thinking that relocation of the touch screen is the best option, either in the glovebox, under the seat, or in the boot, where ever. Most functions can be integrated over can, using the most gateway that sits under the CD player. The only real function that will be lost, will be selecting a source. But you will be able to scroll through, but just not specifically select one. To be honest, running this system in my car for over a year now, there seems to be no need to have access to anything else, spotify, radio apps, and google maps pretty much takes over all the old functionality thats tied to most. The factory microphone can be wired direct to the Pi.

I think its worth remembering, that getting a device onto most is just the first step, I would then imagine that decoding the messages would be a job in itself, for what I class as not much gain. Dont get me wrong, if I get to the point of investigating into it I will, but for now I dont see it as a priority

Did you ever get heated steering wheel heated and cooled seats? i just powered up my pi, have all the hardware i bought the fiberdyn item. hoping it all works smoothly.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:13 AM

Fiberdyn?

I have the messages for them, the only issue is that the can gateway needs to sit behind a proxy, otherwise it will just overwrite any signals we send, with the signals of the factory screen. I have developed one, just not gotten around to testing yet.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Fiberdyn?

I have the messages for them, the only issue is that the can gateway needs to sit behind a proxy, otherwise it will just overwrite any signals we send, with the signals of the factory screen. I have developed one, just not gotten around to testing yet.
i plan on pulling out the headunit.

fiberdyn takes your new radios analog left/right audio and digitizes it and sends it to the factory amp and turns the amp volume up. The actual volume control is the analog audio levels coming from the radio so we never adjust the amps volume digitally. The radios bass/treble/balance all come from the radio. Fade will not work though as MOST is only stereo and has no way of knowing that the radio is fading. You will lose anything else on MOST like the CD changer, factory BT phone etc.

my plans are pi + fiberdyn + either pi screen or aftermarket radio remove stock

Old 11-06-2020, 11:14 AM

Interesting, let me know how it goes! and give me a shout if you need any assistance

I have made a slack channel for the project, not really been pushing it, but if anyone wants to join the link is https://join.slack.com/t/canbusjagde...OECA210niohdfQ

Old 11-12-2020, 03:51 PM

Just a quick update for anyone following.

i was able to get Rhys's program finally running. thanks to @Rhys Morgan & @fivel . much more tinkering than it should have been and just time and patience. im still in phase 1 of 3 but ive gotten the hardware reading the car properly. now i need to adjust some items as well as decode things that havent been decoded yet. there is a threashold of skill or basic knowledge so i do not recommend it for everyone but i must say today was an exciting day for me.

phase 2 would be removing the headunit installing the MOST HUR i purchased from Fiberdyn in australia. using that with the pi to make sure all is setup when that is all set and done
Phase 3 installing DMH-4660NEX Pioneer Radio with a slew of features bringing my head unit to 2020. when i took it out of the box it looks very similar in size to the OEM and im praying the shoe fits perfect.

The following 2 users liked this post by slash32487:
Oxidizer2k (11-23-2020), Sean W (11-14-2020)
Old 12-16-2020, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

Getting on the MOST bandwagon as well. Ya'll discovered what I discovered as far as interfaces and such.

But I'll lay down some more info just incase

Turns out a fella was interested in the MOST25 protocol on his BMW and did a significant amount of research on the 8104.
https://github.com/machineroom/most
Judging by the code here: https://github.com/machineroom/8104spi
looks like might've been successful, can't find any interweb details of his success.

Also found this awesome blog from a guy who wanted to enable bluetooth on an older Jag running D2B and designed a custom chip for it.
https://blog.pcbxprt.com/index.php/tag/d2b/

So far I hooked up a GVIF device and it works just fine
https://car-solutions.com/en/gvif-in...nissan-jaguar/

But I'm figuring out that I really want to use the touchscreen which runs over the MOST25 protocol somehow.
Definitely would like to find an interface to sniff some data. Anyone successful with grabbing data off the fiber?

Old 12-16-2020, 03:42 PM

i bought a piece from Mobridge Australia. ive had it for a couple weeks now but i haven't installed yet. i actually got stuck on the fact that my aftermarket radio will not handle the mouse on my Pi. i was hoping to get someone to extract the firmware on a maestro rr2 so i can see if i can implement the CAN through it by tinkering with their code. this would replace my pi and talk directly to my aftermarket radio. ive thought of other options. 1 second screen. 2 a mouse in my car (not really interested) . i prefer an aftermarket radio with all of its capabilities and new ui. the MOST hardware i bought digitizes the feed to a single source. not sure if thats what you want. meaning this would make the cd player obsolete...

side note i am in a XKR 2012 and Rhys's software and CAN are the same. ive got it up and running and tested it out

Last edited by slash32487; 12-16-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Right on, very curious to know what comes out of the mobridge.
Interesting problem, I'm a bit thrown by the mouse problem. Do you have a CAN bus mouse in your Jag?

I'm rockin an '09 XF SC
I'd like to retain the factory aesthetics but totally ditch/replace the GPS unit in the back, that thing is garbage.
Got the display working through GVIF but have no way to interact with it hence the MOST protocol investigation.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:02 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Crumpler
Hey guys,

Getting on the MOST bandwagon as well. Ya'll discovered what I discovered as far as interfaces and such.

But I'll lay down some more info just incase

Turns out a fella was interested in the MOST25 protocol on his BMW and did a significant amount of research on the 8104.
https://github.com/machineroom/most
Judging by the code here: https://github.com/machineroom/8104spi
looks like might've been successful, can't find any interweb details of his success.

Also found this awesome blog from a guy who wanted to enable bluetooth on an older Jag running D2B and designed a custom chip for it.
https://blog.pcbxprt.com/index.php/tag/d2b/

So far I hooked up a GVIF device and it works just fine
https://car-solutions.com/en/gvif-in...nissan-jaguar/

But I'm figuring out that I really want to use the touchscreen which runs over the MOST25 protocol somehow.
Definitely would like to find an interface to sniff some data. Anyone successful with grabbing data off the fiber?
This is an amazing find!

Old 03-07-2022, 02:47 PM

Latest update, version 1 is pretty much done and tested. I have even done a physical fit test and it fits in the space perfectly. In the video below you can see the new UI and also testing of most functions (they all work) next steps to package the app up, and get it integrated to android auto. I've then got a few accessories to get, sound card, 12 to 5v convertor etc then I can proper fit it all.

Going to get a website going with some detailed instructions incase someone wants to give it a go

https://youtu.be/fzvfNNNPT0g

Rhys how is this amazing project going!

i have one simple (theoretically) thing I’m trying to achieve and that’s set the death and time for the car without the main screen can your system allow that?

Quick Reply: CAN bus hacking Jaguar XF