General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can I have LED lights on my tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I have LED lights on my tires?

Has anyone put wheel lights on their car? I've been told a Bluetooth controller is the best option for multi-color lights. RF controllers have to be used very close to the car and WiFi controllers lose connectivity. I don't want to buy anything that sounds good on paper but end up being a waste of money. Can anyone give any pros or cons about their use of any of these controllers?

Old 07-04-2022, 07:41 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Absmisamer
end up being a waste of money.
IMO it starts out that way.
Just sayin'

The following users liked this post:
RudyF6 (07-07-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by petemohr
IMO it starts out that way.
Just sayin'
I find there are many wheel light options to choose from online. They look pretty and do serve a purpose on rare occasions. And I can't get what other uses they have other than pretty colors and looks!

Old 07-07-2022, 05:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Abmisamer, most people do not mount the lights to the rims themselves. What they do is mount a ring that attaches to the lower arm and run behind the caliper (or infront of) and on a thin metal band, they mount the LEDs. That way you don't have to worry about a battery or some method to power the lights. Then controlling the colors is easy to as all is hard wired to the car.

LIke you said, the do provide a look to a car. But, I can tell you this, you drive on the road with them, especially if they are not red, white, or yellow, that is a ticket waiting to happen. Being red, white or yellow, depending on where they are on the car, you can possibly justify them being a "side marker light", but that is a fairly far stretch. Most places have laws about extra lights on a vehicle and other than driving lights on the front (which much be white), mounting lights elsewhere becomes a touchy subject. Semi truck drivers seem to get away with a lot, but all of their stuff is fairly dim in nature and is on the body of the vehicle. They also follow the basic rule of if you can see it from the side, it is yellow, if you can see it from the front, white or yellow, and if you can see it from the back red or yellow.

So, if you are looking for something to turn on in a parking lot, go have fun. Cops (atleast in my area) cannot write you a ticket for that. BUt, once the vehicle goes in motion, you are fair game.

The following users liked this post:
89 Jacobra (07-11-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Abmisamer, most people do not mount the lights to the rims themselves. What they do is mount a ring that attaches to the lower arm and run behind the caliper (or infront of) and on a thin metal band, they mount the LEDs. That way you don't have to worry about a battery or some method to power the lights. Then controlling the colors is easy to as all is hard wired to the car.

LIke you said, the do provide a look to a car. But, I can tell you this, you drive on the road with them, especially if they are not red, white, or yellow, that is a ticket waiting to happen. Being red, white or yellow, depending on where they are on the car, you can possibly justify them being a "side marker light", but that is a fairly far stretch. Most places have laws about extra lights on a vehicle and other than driving lights on the front (which much be white), mounting lights elsewhere becomes a touchy subject. Semi truck drivers seem to get away with a lot, but all of their stuff is fairly dim in nature and is on the body of the vehicle. They also follow the basic rule of if you can see it from the side, it is yellow, if you can see it from the front, white or yellow, and if you can see it from the back red or yellow.

So, if you are looking for something to turn on in a parking lot, go have fun. Cops (atleast in my area) cannot write you a ticket for that. BUt, once the vehicle goes in motion, you are fair game.
Thanks!