General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

car over heating 2006 jaguar xk8

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car over heating 2006 jaguar xk8

Have replaced with new water pump, thermastat, new radiator, flushed system though not sure I was successful in that I am not sure that I have circulation because I am not getting heat from the heator, even after I removed the thermastat. looking for help and I am very frustated. By the way I am new to this forum.

Old 02-08-2024, 01:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

While I am not an expert on xk8's, this is not an uncommon issue across any ICE vehicles. First things first, when you did all that work, did you ensure you bled or burped all the air out of the coolant hoses? Also, if you are concerned about coolant flowing, have you tried to use a mechanics's stethoscope to listen for it? You can easily hear coolant flowing with one of those. You mentioned the vehicle overheated, but your description sounds as though you simply "parts canoned" it. Were you able to perform any actual diagnosis to see what the problem may have actually been? Asking bc usually (not always true, but usuall), the pump and thermostat doesn't go out at the same time. It is usually one or the other.

Old 02-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 jaguar xj8 over heating replaced, radiator, thermonstat, other things

over heating jaguar xj8 2.2L, have replaced radiator, thermonstat, water pump, Flushed system though not sure if tha flush was successful in that I am not sure that I am getting flow through the system, no leaks visable any place, by the way I have already been out of $2200 on this problem and I still have the same issue OVER HEATING according the inside guage and dash light. No I have not listen for flow through the hoses and I have not Burped the system by squeesing the hoses. On the earlier model there is a place to bleed the system but on this model there is no ovious place to bleed the system. Bsfore I take it back to my mechanic and be out of more money I am trying to research the problem myself. NEED MUCH HELP

Old 02-08-2024, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Delta1943, I am assuming you have a 4.2L engine, not a 2.2L engine. With that being said, it would be advisable to move over to here: XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum, as these guys eat/sleep/breathe your car.

Now, I am not wanting to second guess your mechanic, but it is sounding to me you have 1 of 2 issues going on. You either skimped on the water pump and got one that is not built correctly for your car, resulting in insufficient flow for the engine, or 2) there is a blockage in the engine and that is causing part of the engine to not get any cooling. The second is less likely and would also not explain the loss of heater in the car. I think the defining check I would do is start the car and let it come up in temperature. Does the car over heat at that point. If yes, check to make sure your fans are coming on. If they are, then this to me would almost confirm a bad water pump (assuming that your new thermostat is not bad right out of the box, but you would still get some heat from the heater). If it can maintain temp here and only over heats say in slow traffic, then this would be pointing more to a fan issue. The check for hte fan is normally pretty simple. Start the car (temperature does not matter) and put the dash fan on high, turn on the A/C, and dial to the lowest temp possible. This will force the fans on high and if you lean in over the engine, you hsould be getting a blast of air in your fast. If you are getting just a general breeze blowing your way, the fans are toast. But as I stated before, bad fans would not cause a loss of heat in the cabin area.

Old 02-09-2024, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Flush the heater core and you do know about the failure prone DCCV?
These are pretty much guaranteed to fail at some point. Has it ever been replaced? With the age of your car and the cooling problems your having really consider changing all the rubber coolant hoses out at once. The time as come and you will be better off with new rubber hoses.

Please, please use a vacuum filler on your car. This will eliminate all the burping and air bleeding stuff. As air bubbles can cause your problems too?

Is you AUX coolant pump working?
If your paying to have this work done it will be massively expensive as you posted.
I would get the service manual and DIY the repairs from here on out.

Or get rid of the car as it WILL be a money pit if your not going to DIY the repairs.