General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Change Diff Ratio with IDS/SDD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Well I was able to look at the TCM files with a program called SwapFTL

The .phx files all appear to be identical;
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11575086/z65...350row.phx.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11575086/z65...103row.phx.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11575086/z66...350fow.phx.jpg

The .dhx files don't have any tags or headers to identify them, and looking at the binary data it's impossible to see the difference by eye.

But i would guess that the .phx is the generic file from ZF for the 6HP26, and then the .dhx contains the specifics for the particular engine/diff combination.

Still not any closer to cracking this, but maybe someone will see something...

I'd be curious to look at the TCM files from the 4.2L X150, if they look the same when opened with the SwapFTL then maybe it might work....

This is the only chance I can see because the 4.2L X150 has a J-Gate, the XF also has a 3.31:1 but that's with the rotary gear selector...

Although the XK has a different part number for the Mechatronic than the X350, it's still worth a look....

Old 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Are further update to this one.

So I tried renaming both the .phx & .dhx files from the X103, and loading them into the X350 XJR. The files loaded to the TCM, but I immediately got a Gearbox Fault on the dash, and the DTC P0610 which is "Incorrect Configuration or Calibration Loaded"

I reloaded the original .dhx file for the X350 XJR, & reflashed again (.phx from XKR, .dhx from XJR) and it was all back to normal. Then I tried the .dhx file from the 3.0L V6, with the .dhx from the XJR and it was the same.

So 100% that the .phx file is a generic one-size-fits-all for the ZF 6HP26 in our cars, and the .dhx file (which is unreadable as binary) holds the actual calibration info for model/engine/diff ratio.

I haven't bothered with trying the .dhx file from the 3.0L V6, because it will either bring up the P0610, or if it did work, the shift points will be all wrong.

So safe to say we are completely done with trying a diff ratio swap using SDD.

However....

In the meantime, I got in contact with a guy in Eastern Europe, who says he can reprogram the TCM for the Jaguar ZF 6HP26. He has a special rig that he can plug the TCM into and "read, copy, write and edit" all information in the TCM. He claims to have done Land Rovers before, which would be the same as Jaguar.

The only issues with this are that you need to physically remove the TCM from the transmission & send it to him for reprogramming each time.

I had a lot of back-n-forth by email with him, some of my questions weren't answered, but if he can do what he says it seems we might finally have an option to tune the TCM in the ZF cars.

Not sure if i'll go ahead with it right now, waiting to see if DTS can come up with a clutch LSD to suit the X350 / S-Type...

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

AND THIS BEGS THE STATEMENT OF, GET A TCM FROM A DONOR (SALVAGED) TRANS A SEND IT OFF. THEN IT BECOMES A CORE PROCESS. WE SEND A REFLASHED UNIT TO YOU, YOU SEND YOUR CORE BACK AND IT GOES TO THE NEXT BUYER AFTER FLASHED TO MINIMISE DOWN TIME.
AND 9 MONTHS AND COUNTING ON MY NISSAN ENGINE WITH THE KENNE BELL BUTS ITS ALMOST DONE I MADE MY OWN LOWER INTAKE/INTERCOOLER BOX FROM WOOD TO MOCK UP AND SURPISINGLY THE HOOD CLOSES, THE ORIGINAL BELT SETUP WILL WORK WITH A CUSTOM SC PULLEY. ITS BEEN AT THE FAB SHOP BEING MADE IN ALUMINUM AND HAD TO GET 1000CC INJECTORS TO SUPPORT FUEL NEEDS ILL GUESS ILL HAVE TO POST UP HERE WHEN DONE BUT HERE'S A LINK TO A THREAD ON IT WITH PICS
New Mod, Kenne Bell Twin Screw Super Charger - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
OOOPS SORRY ABOUT CAPS

Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Are further update to this one.

So I tried renaming both the .phx & .dhx files from the X103, and loading them into the X350 XJR. The files loaded to the TCM, but I immediately got a Gearbox Fault on the dash, and the DTC P0610 which is "Incorrect Configuration or Calibration Loaded"

I reloaded the original .dhx file for the X350 XJR, & reflashed again (.phx from XKR, .dhx from XJR) and it was all back to normal. Then I tried the .dhx file from the 3.0L V6, with the .dhx from the XJR and it was the same.

So 100% that the .phx file is a generic one-size-fits-all for the ZF 6HP26 in our cars, and the .dhx file (which is unreadable as binary) holds the actual calibration info for model/engine/diff ratio.

I haven't bothered with trying the .dhx file from the 3.0L V6, because it will either bring up the P0610, or if it did work, the shift points will be all wrong.

So safe to say we are completely done with trying a diff ratio swap using SDD.

However....

In the meantime, I got in contact with a guy in Eastern Europe, who says he can reprogram the TCM for the Jaguar ZF 6HP26. He has a special rig that he can plug the TCM into and "read, copy, write and edit" all information in the TCM. He claims to have done Land Rovers before, which would be the same as Jaguar.

The only issues with this are that you need to physically remove the TCM from the transmission & send it to him for reprogramming each time.

I had a lot of back-n-forth by email with him, some of my questions weren't answered, but if he can do what he says it seems we might finally have an option to tune the TCM in the ZF cars.

Not sure if i'll go ahead with it right now, waiting to see if DTS can come up with a clutch LSD to suit the X350 / S-Type...
.phx = program hex
.dhx = data hex

educated guess ... but it matches the observed behaviour

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM

Coild be Plums, I searched high & low for an explanation, couldn't find any info anywhere...

Brutal, the info i got from ZF says that the TCM and the valve body are calibrated in the factory as one Mechatronic, swapping just the TCM is not advised as it has not been corrected for the reaction time of those specific solenoids.

Also the guy in Varna who says he can reprogram the TCM needs the original from the specific car, as he reads the info out, edits it, and then reloads it. I sent him the original .phx & .dhx files from SDD and he said he couldn't do anything with them...

Also no chance of reprogramming via the OBD port or connecting to the plug on the side of the tranny, the TCM has to come out unfortunately...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

hmm... I don't believe what ZF appear to have said. Any car of a certain MY and engine type gets the same phx/dhx so any variations are either stored once at manufacture or - far more likely - learned. That's what the "adaptions" are, I reckon.

Also, it's acceptable to replace parts and you don't have to send it back to have this mystical (pah, mythical) stuff tweaked.

It's ZF trying FUD so we don't mess.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM

No! The .dhx file is different for each model & engine combination. Of course ZF could make the neccesary changes but they "can't" it's a political problem, not a technical one...Softelectronic in Varna are the only ones who've said yes so far...

Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

This is the other company I wrote to. No response back for past 2 days.

Cambo, If you haven't already contacted them, let me know and I will call tomorrow.

Powertrain Control Solutions - Contact Us

TCM-2600

http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...oduct=TCM-2600

Last edited by Tijoe; 02-12-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added second link
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Maybe they will be better on the phone Joe, cause i've written to them several times and the haven't replied, no response at all..,

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Cambo. I have a slightly different question. Do you have access to a bad TCM that you could open up and tell what brand and part number the chips are?
Bosch, Intel? Motorola. This would help a lot if we end up needing to figure out how to program or backwards engineer the software.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM

There is a picture of the stripped TCM on page 15 of this document http://www.sonnax.com/system/pdfs/37...AutoChoice.pdf

I don't have a spare TCM good or bad, simply haven't been able to find one cheap...

Old 02-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

There is a picture of the stripped TCM on page 15 of this document http://www.sonnax.com/system/pdfs/37...AutoChoice.pdf

I don't have a spare TCM good or bad, simply haven't been able to find one cheap...
Thanks. I ran across this PDF a couple days ago. What I'de like to see is what is inside the little electrical box shown in figure 12. I can't read what is on the label.

I wonder what would be the easiest way to chase down a bad TCM module.
Perhaps someone following this thread works in a trans shop and has one that can be torn apart.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe they will be better on the phone Joe, cause i've written to them several times and the haven't replied, no response at all..,
I had a conversation with Joey at PTCS yesterday. It seems to me that their new TCM2600 Add-on control module has potential to allow us to tune the transmission and change the gear ratio. I gave Joey a link to this thread so he could better understand what we want to do.

We'll see how fast he gets back to me with confirmation that their control unit will do what we need.

Joe

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 AM

I'm about to embark on a 3 week business trip, and when i get back the XJR is going in to my mechanic for a full 100'000mi service, 3lb pulley, bigger intercooler pump (Bosch), and if all goes well, new oil/filter for the trans, 3.58 gears and a Quaife LSD.

I've already ordered the 3.58 LS gears from the US, just waiting on a shipping confirmation before I order the Quaife from TL Jaguar.

The issue now is which way to go for the TCM reprogram?

Softelectronic hasn't got back to me with a firm price for the reprogramming yet, and i am very open to a piggyback TCM2600 from PTCS, so both options are on the table right now.

I am running out of time to make a decision. The car needs to be up & running by the end of March for the Nürburgring trip. So Joe, please please please keep on top of these guys, i'm ready to order now.

I'm not going to put in the Quaife unless I can do the gear swap at the same time...

Old 02-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'm about to embark on a 3 week business trip, and when i get back the XJR is going in to my mechanic for a full 100'000mi service, 3lb pulley, bigger intercooler pump (Bosch), and if all goes well, new oil/filter for the trans, 3.58 gears and a Quaife LSD.

I've already ordered the 3.58 LS gears from the US, just waiting on a shipping confirmation before I order the Quaife from TL Jaguar.

The issue now is which way to go for the TCM reprogram?

Softelectronic hasn't got back to me with a firm price for the reprogramming yet, and i am very open to a piggyback TCM2600 from PTCS, so both options are on the table right now.

I am running out of time to make a decision. The car needs to be up & running by the end of March for the Nürburgring trip. So Joe, please please please keep on top of these guys, i'm ready to order now.

I'm not going to put in the Quaife unless I can do the gear swap at the same time...
I suspect that this will take some time to accomplish. Joey at PTCS indicated that "Russ" the person who developed the TCM2600 spends a lot of time on the road and indicated that if will take some time to get all the answers to questions regarding their product's capabilities for different vehicle applications. I'll try to keep this moving forward.

It would be good to know how many Jaguar owners would like to be able to change gear ratios and trans shift points. The larger the market, I am sure the better the support will be. I've also read that there are many BMW owners in a similar situation as us.

I would like to get my hands on a bad TCM for the 6hp26 trans. I am pretty sure that the TCM is made by Bosch. The ZF TCM just has to have a common processor and CAN tranlator in it. It can't be much different than any other CAN module.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Any idea what the TCM2600 retails for approx?

I don't want to change diff ratio's in my STR; I just want to address the short shift in the early gears,

Does your XJR short shift gears 1-3 as the STR does?

Does the XKR shift to redline in the first 3 gears, or is that a misconception?

If the TCM configuration, including shift points, is in the phx/dhx files, then why does flashing the TCM with the XKR files not work?

Who is the contact in europe that claims to read/write the TCM module?

How difficult is it to remove the TCM from the transmission, do you happen to know?

thanks cambo for doin all this legwork,

Old 02-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by GT42R
Any idea what the TCM2600 retails for approx?
Couldn't find the TCM2600 on any of thier resellers websites, but based on the other TCM's they offer, I would guess something less than $1000, but the easiest answer for that is to ask PTCS...

I don't want to change diff ratio's in my STR; I just want to address the short shift in the early gears
the issue of short-shifting has me confused after so many posts/threads, what rpm does the STR shift at for 1-2?

Does your XJR short shift gears 1-3 as the STR does?
The shift 1-2 in sport mode is at ~5900rpm in my 2005 XJR.

Does the XKR shift to redline in the first 3 gears, or is that a misconception?
steveinfrance informed us that his 4.2L XKR also shifts 1-2 at ~5900rpm

If the TCM configuration, including shift points, is in the phx/dhx files, then why does flashing the TCM with the XKR files not work?
OK so the .phx file is a generic "ZF" file for the transmission, which suits all the Jags with the 1st Gen 6HP26, it doesn't have any model specific calibration data in it. The .dhx is the model specific file. I tried flashing the XKR .dhx file into the XJR and it brought up the Gearbox Fault and the DTC for wrong calibration. The .phx being a generic file can be renamed & loaded into any car.

The .dhx obviously also has some model-specific identifiers in it, the TCM knew it was in an XJR but loaded with an XKR file, hence the error message. If someone can identify the name of the .dhx file for the STR, I could compare it to the others as per the post at the top of this page.

It was mentioned that the later model STR's did not "short shift" so there might be a chance of loading that file into the earlier models??? I don't have an STR to play with here, so 'fraid I can't help much with that.

Who is the contact in europe that claims to read/write the TCM module?
Ah, more bad news... The company is Softelectronic in Varna, Bulgaria. But they informed me by email today that they cannot reprogram the TCM for a diff ratio swap. I had previously asked them about a ratio swap and raising the shift points, to which they said "yes we can do everything" but when I pinned them down i.e. "please confirm that you can reprogram the TCM for a different axle ratio" they came back with a "no, sorry" so I guess we can forget these guys too...bummer because I already paid for the 3.58 gears...

How difficult is it to remove the TCM from the transmission, do you happen to know?
You have to drain all the fluid from the trans. Drop the oil pan. Unbolt the Mechatronic (valve block) and then remove the TCM from the Mechatronic. So basically to remove the TCM you are looking at an expensive fluid change....

thanks cambo for doin all this legwork,
You're welcome, but we haven't actually acheived anything yet....

Sooo....where does that leave us for now?

Well, it's up to PTCS and their TCM2600...fingers crossed....

I've got a set of brand new 3.58:1 gears on the way that can't be used...

And a car with no LSD...and i cannot justify putting in the LSD now, just to pull the whole thing apart again to change the gears. AND i've got the oil/filter kit for the trans waiting...but no point in opening up the trans twice if you see where i'm coming from....

Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

I was told that the TCM2600 retails for around $600 USD.

No word back from Joey at PTCS. I will ping him again today or early tomorrow.
Russ appears to be the person that knows all the capabilities of the TCM2600, but he is very difficult to contact.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Keep at em Joe, i'll definitely buy one if it can do the job.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

The TCM2600 sounds interesting, but when checking the website I saw it is only for the 2nd Gen 6HP26 gearboxes, so better check if you have that one. Iirc Jaguar started using them from 2006, but can be mistaken.

Quick Reply: Change Diff Ratio with IDS/SDD?