General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Choosing The Right Cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing The Right Cat

Hello. I'm looking into buying a Jaguar early next year. I think my choices will be monetarily limited to 90-00. With this in mind, can I ask advice on the reliability, difficulty of garage repair, and general information on the various models in that time period?

I'm a shade tree mechanic. I can tackle most issues myself once I know where they are. I'm also versed in bodywork. Maintaining my Jaguar shouldn't be a problem. But I would think that the reputation of one model might shadow another, or the engine of this car be better than that.

Educate me, if you please.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,886 Likes on 3,193 Posts

Iqon, what sort of price range are we looking at here. I think you may find that you can get something a little newer for what you are looking at spending. The price of the cats (along with the other higher end cars) have dropped in the last few years and it has made them very easy to get.

I would also ask what you are looking to get out of the car. You can get into an X-Type for very cheap. Good car in the way of reliability (within reason, see later), but for performance, may not live up to the Jaguar mystic. But, for a few thousand more, you can get into an S-Type, XJ, or something of the sort where you can get the performance too. As for the X-Type (which is what would be the cheapest), it is a very liable car and is based a lot off of the Ford Mondeo and shares a lot of the same parts with the Lincoln LS (3.0L version). So, getting parts isn't too bad, but can be challenging if you don't know where to look. But, this is true of any higher end car. The downside to the X-TYpe is the transfer case. It is the weak link in the car and if you are looking for performance, this car will cost you far more than any XJ or S-Type. But, you drive is sensibly, it will last forever. So, what are you looking to get out of the car?

The following users liked this post:
Iqon (07-30-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 08:48 PM

I'm thinking about 4-6 thousand. I might up that price range by a bit if I decide to make payments, but even then I wouldn't go over 8k.

I would prefer an 8 cylinder, though I have heard disaster stories about the 8's in that time period, primarily because of the cylinder coating that was used. I'm very much into power, and an R would make me very happy. I drive "sensibly" most of the time. However, I don't think those are in my price range.

I don't want rubber bumpers - this cuts down my choices a bit as it appears that many jags had them until about 95. I could fab a body kit for the car, I guess, but I already have a 97 town car that I plan to park when I get the jag, and I'll be spending years on that. I don't really want two projects.

Finally, it's got to be a sedan. I have a family.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 PM

It appears as though 2000 or earlier XJRs could be in my price range. That's really something along my lines. What's the word on those?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,886 Likes on 3,193 Posts

Iqon, looking at New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com, there are 33 jags that are for sale under $8000 within 100 miles of you. Some are as new as 2004 models with around 110K miles on the ODO. Sure, some of these also date back to the mid 80's. The newer cars were more along the lines of the X-Type, but there were a few S-Types also in the 2000-2001 model years on the list. I would say to check out what is on the list and go from there. Too many cars to be listing here. You may want to even go slightly above your max limit and then try to talk the people down to what you are willing to pay.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

X300 (95-97) XJ6 is widely regarded as one of the most reliable runs Jaguar ever made. You may want to limit yourself to 96-97 if you do go for X300's as the long wheelbase was not offered in 95. Much more rear legroom there for the family. On the other hand, supercharged "R's" were offered but they are somewhat scarce, relatively speaking (though not sure if LWB versions were - I believe that came later (X308) with the V-8's (Look for "Super V-8." $6K ought to fetch you an X300 in very nice condition...but beware..these are 15 yr. old cars....there'll be a few items to address.

X308's offered 98-2003. It goes by engine number, rather than model year...but sometime in the 2001 production run, they were producing V-8's with the bugs worked out of them. Otherwise, nearly as reliable as the X300's...heck..otherwise nearly the same car. I wouldn't fear the nikasil lining if it checks good now. Sulfur in fuel and overheating seem to the problems there. Don't have to worry about sulfur nowadays and you can prevent running it overheated....er..unless you are going to let the wife or daughters drive it....check service records to confirm the timing chain tensioner and the water pump upgrades have been accomplished. (ie..has the plastic been purged from my engine internals to the maximum extent possible) or else research the cost of those (you can do them yourself, but parts still a bit pricey if I recall) and discount the purchase price accordingly...but you don't want to be driving around on original, 1998 cam chain tensioners...irrespective of mileage on the car. Not to make you feel bad...but looks like you just missed one:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...000-obo-57370/

S-type would be your other choice in Sedans, but 03 up is generally held to be the sweet-spot on those. 03's are starting to hit down in the $6k range these days. Shoot Androulakis a pm. He's involved in the auto-auctions and can offer some sound advice on what your choices are in the $4k-$6k range, particularly S-types. He just sold his, but he's still around.

FWIW......I put more miles on my XJ than the women put on the S-types combined, they are both considerably newer than the XJ....yet the bulk of my maintenance time is consumed by the S-Types! (XJ has been pretty much an oil-chg and go)

Good luck in your search and keep us posted. Also, browse the X-Type, S-Type, X300, and X308 forums for a good feel on reliability and things to look for on the prospects. I know the Stype and X300 forums each have several good threads on common problems and buying advice. I assume the others do as well.

The following users liked this post:
Iqon (07-30-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I've been checking prices, futile though it be at the moment, since I won't be getting it until next year. I don't like the X-type at all. It looks stunted.

I DO like the S-type, and the XJ. Seeing that they come in R versions makes me want to start with one of those. Seeing that an XJR is in my price range further makes me want one, but that dire information about the reliability of those engines made me feel like I needed to come here first and glean your collective wisdom.

I could start with a less powerful Jaguar, but when it comes time to mod, the costs skyrocket to attain the peaks I desire. I'm a horsepower junkie. 400 HP is a nice dose.

I'm aiming for 600-800 when I'm done with my Lincoln. But that'll be my weekend show/twisty-road/beast off car.

The Jag needs to purr its way around town. And as long as I am not getting into a mess with it, I plan to be sitting inside it.

Also, no. My wife will NOT be driving my car.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 PM

You mentioned habitual overheating - why does this occur? Or ... maybe I'll search. Heh. Sorry.