General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cleaning the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Cleaning the engine bay

Hello everyone!

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the engine bay? Mine in the XJ8 is super dusty; that's it. No grime, oil; just dust. I was thinking of using a mist from my water hose to get the dust off. Definitely not power washing. Would that cause problems to the engine if I do just a light wash? Thanks everyone!

- Pilotman

Old 04-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

The key is not getting the electronics wet, connectors, particularly the alternator. I clean my engine bay at least once a year. I use a tiny brush attachment on my shop vac to get most of the dust. I'll remove all the intake tubing, air filter and plastic coverings for access. Then I clean what I can reach by hand with damp cloth. What I can't easily reach, I use various brushes, often taped to long sticks. I will use the water hose around the perimeter of the engine bay with care not to douse electronics or connectors. For greasy spots, I will resort to Simple Green and brushes, then a careful rinse. For stubborn grease, so long as its not a painted part, I will use brake cleaner and rags or long cotton swabs. If I have to rinse around sensitive electronics, I will use a squirt bottle for better control. Its tedious and always takes a few hours but being a fair weather car, it doesn't need it very often. The alternator I just leave it dirty since its down where you can't see it and very tedious to clean without the residues getting inside it.