General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is direct from Drew on the website the best place to purchase?

Old 10-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by wesmc2
Is direct from Drew on the website the best place to purchase?
That would be OK, but the last one I bought came from tunertools.com. It was about $15 off the DrewTech price and shipping was free.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
wesmc2 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
I should add a note on the subject of Java, 'cause I just had an incident.

If a flag comes up about a Java Update being available, you should heed that notification and get the update. When Java detects an update, it seems to be in some sort of limbo and SDD usually has issues. I have learned that over time. Likewise, if I'm in the middle of something with SDD when the Java flag comes up, I shut down SDD like I'm done, and get the update. Then I go back into SDD and proceed with whatever I was doing.

I've just learned to make sure Java is happy before I do anything with SDD. It relies heavily on Java.

Cheers,
The alternative is to turn off auto-updates, and notifications about auto-updates in the Java control panel. If the machine is dedicated to a single purpose, and the software works with the installed version of JRE, then that may be the simplest and safest solution.

When two pieces of software work together, changing one of them always carries a risk of incompatibility.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
I tried the Win7 32bit version, and although SDD works, the legacy software abends, never found the issue, so gave up.

Are you sure the legacy software also works in Win 7 32bit?
Many problems can be fixed using "compatibility mode". Find the executables that are causing you problems in explorer, right click, click properties, click compatibility, select XP.

An additional thing you can do is enable the true "administrator" account, and run under that account.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Regarding XP or Win 7, I have seen instructions at the diagnosticdelivery.com website for installaing SDD on Win 7. But IDS only runs in XP. So, I guess it depends which software you are to use.

If you will only be servicing newer cars, then there is a very good chance you will always be in SDD, so Win 7 should be fine. But if you will try to service older cars, then the system will call up IDS, and you will be hosed.

So, ideally, stay in XP. As for running in virtual machines, I don't know about that, but even native XP is a lttle buggy with IDS.

Why not buy a cheap but good laptop that runs XP fast? Wouldn't a dedicated system be more flexible and reliable? If you are going to shell out $500 for the Mongoose, whats another $200 for a good used laptop running XP?

Of course, you could go the cheap route with a mongooser for $90, and a netbook missing some keys for $50. Its not like you have to type much using IDS or SDD.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by heima
Regarding XP or Win 7, I have seen instructions at the diagnosticdelivery.com website for installaing SDD on Win 7. But IDS only runs in XP. So, I guess it depends which software you are to use.

If you will only be servicing newer cars, then there is a very good chance you will always be in SDD, so Win 7 should be fine. But if you will try to service older cars, then the system will call up IDS, and you will be hosed.

So, ideally, stay in XP. As for running in virtual machines, I don't know about that, but even native XP is a lttle buggy with IDS.

Why not buy a cheap but good laptop that runs XP fast? Wouldn't a dedicated system be more flexible and reliable? If you are going to shell out $500 for the Mongoose, whats another $200 for a good used laptop running XP?

Of course, you could go the cheap route with a mongooser for $90, and a netbook missing some keys for $50. Its not like you have to type much using IDS or SDD.
Well let's be careful now; it's awful easy to mislead. IDS WILL run in Win7 just fine, as long as you have sufficient computer horsepower and a dual core processor. With XP you don't have to have a dual core, but it sure helps. I find nothing buggy about SDD/IDS on WinXP, but all my machines are basically dedicated units, none beyond SP2, and no clone interfaces. [VCM or MongoosePro]

Keep in mind all of this is still IDS. It's just that IDS has what they call in computer-speak a different 'front end' to utilize it. The front end, SDD, just controls how data and functions are presented. In IDS, all functions are always there, you just had to select the tab where the function resides. SDD just leads you around by the nose based on the data collected and symptoms you enter. It also provides a way to present other pertinent stuff like bulletins.

When you select a function, say key programming, SDD just calls up IDS in a frame in the Internet Explorer page, and you complete the task just as you would, or always have, in IDS. I guess you could say it sort of calls up IDS in a piecemeal fashion.

Likewise, if there are no symptom maps in SDD for the VIN you read or entered yourself, it pops up a link to launch IDS and hands off the VIN number so you don't have to enter it again.

[Note: if you try to locate the application file manually and launch Legacy IDS, all you get is the seed and response code business that requires you to contact Jaguar Technical. So you can give up that idea!]

As far as IDS and the MongoosePro goes, since DVD 128 it has worked pretty well even on the older cars. And it seems to get a little better with each update. I used it [the Mongoose] with a 2000 S-Type today; read faults, used datalogger to watch the pedal sensor and throttle sensor tracks, diagnosed down to a rare PCM failure.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by xjrguy; 10-19-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the SDD finally locked me out, it always asked me to update which I never did, now I'm disabled until I update. Any tips?

Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Not sure what was wrong with my previous W7 32bit installation, but I have now setup a clean virtual machine with SDD130, even with the latest Win updates and Java V7, and the legacy software is working.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by avos
Not sure what was wrong with my previous W7 32bit installation, but I have now setup a clean virtual machine with SDD130, even with the latest Win updates and Java V7, and the legacy software is working.
Superb! Glad you got it licked. I knew it should have worked.

Let us know haw you make out using it on the car.

Cheers,

Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

I will be using it this weekend, and so far it looks stable to me, probably shouldn't say that yet ;-).

Will also check the SDD again on another car to see if that works fine as well as it’s installed with the latest patches including IE9. I can remember that 1 specific screen didn’t show up nicely in the past, but think I could correct it by selecting another emulation mode of IE.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Well let's be careful now; it's awful easy to mislead. IDS WILL run in Win7 just fine, as long as you have sufficient computer horsepower and a dual core processor. With XP you don't have to have a dual core, but it sure helps. I find nothing buggy about SDD/IDS on WinXP, but all my machines are basically dedicated units, none beyond SP2, and no clone interfaces. [VCM or MongoosePro]

Keep in mind all of this is still IDS. It's just that IDS has what they call in computer-speak a different 'front end' to utilize it. The front end, SDD, just controls how data and functions are presented. In IDS, all functions are always there, you just had to select the tab where the function resides. SDD just leads you around by the nose based on the data collected and symptoms you enter. It also provides a way to present other pertinent stuff like bulletins.

When you select a function, say key programming, SDD just calls up IDS in a frame in the Internet Explorer page, and you complete the task just as you would, or always have, in IDS. I guess you could say it sort of calls up IDS in a piecemeal fashion.

Likewise, if there are no symptom maps in SDD for the VIN you read or entered yourself, it pops up a link to launch IDS and hands off the VIN number so you don't have to enter it again.

[Note: if you try to locate the application file manually and launch Legacy IDS, all you get is the seed and response code business that requires you to contact Jaguar Technical. So you can give up that idea!]

As far as IDS and the MongoosePro goes, since DVD 128 it has worked pretty well even on the older cars. And it seems to get a little better with each update. I used it [the Mongoose] with a 2000 S-Type today; read faults, used datalogger to watch the pedal sensor and throttle sensor tracks, diagnosed down to a rare PCM failure.

Hope that helps!
I wish it was that way for me. I have tried to install v131 on a new, fresh out of the box Win 7 32 bit dual core laptop, and while SDD runs fine, IDS bombs out with the "Tabman - main frame for ESB" error.

However, when Win XP SP3 is installed on this same laptop, again a fresh install with a Microsoft CD ISO, the tabman error also occurs.

Call me crazy, but I am thinking it is something to do with the CPU's architecture. Its a B950. Trying different compatibility modes has not helped.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited by heima; 10-24-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM

I wish it was that way for me. I have tried to install v131 on a new, fresh out of the box Win 7 32 bit dual core laptop, and while SDD runs fine, IDS bombs out with the "Tabman - main frame for ESB" error.

However, when Win XP SP3 is installed on this same laptop, again a fresh install with a Microsoft CD ISO, the tabman error also occurs.

Call me crazy, but I am thinking it is something to do with the CPU's architecture. Its a B950. Trying different compatibility modes has not helped.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Well, I'm at a loss here. I've come across dozens of SDD/IDS 'tabman' errors, but this isn't one of them. The B950 is a dual core and meets the stated requirements for SDD/IDS, and should allow using WinXP SP2 and SP3 or Win7 32-bit. I would have to assume there is some other hardware type conflict specific to that laptop. If the laptop has any pre-loaded anti-virus or firewall software I think you might try disabling them as a start.

My Inspiron has a T4500 dual core processor and seems to work beautifully with either operating system.

Good luck with the hunt.........keep us posted.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM

To confound my problem even more, I have installed the v131 software onto a fairly new laptop with a T4200 processor. Again, tabman error.

It would be easy to say, "well, your source files are corrupt". But they are not, because I could install the software onto an old HP Mini 2133 with a Via C7 processor, running XP. I used the same XP installation disc for that Mini 2133 for the B950, and no firewalls were on or virus software installed.

Its frustrating because there is no resources online to assist. I have read up on the Ford IDS troubleshooting FAQs and tips, but nothing speaks of tabman errors. And the generic solutions are turning off firewalls.

I wish it was because I was using a mongooser, and not a VCM or Mongoose, but the gooser works with the Mini 2133. I would just say forget the whole thing (I am seriously considering it) and stick with the Mini 2133, except the Mini 2133 is:

Small display, 1200 x800 in a 11 inch display, its hard to read.
Via C7 processor. Slower than a lap dog with a bad hip. Pathetic.
Battery life. Radio Isotopes have longer (half-)lives.
Heat. That C7 doubles as a lap warmer, replacing that bad-hipped dog.

So the tabman errors you have gotten, what was the solution to them? Perhaps one of your solutions might work for me?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Can the tabman errors be caused by the latest IE? Have you checked the version of IE on your Mini 2133 compared to your new one? It may just need an older IE to work properly?? just thinking aloud. I personally haven't seen such an error, but if it emulates in IE, it wouldn't be the first time a microsoft product didn't work well with older software.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
Can the tabman errors be caused by the latest IE? Have you checked the version of IE on your Mini 2133 compared to your new one? It may just need an older IE to work properly?? just thinking aloud. I personally haven't seen such an error, but if it emulates in IE, it wouldn't be the first time a microsoft product didn't work well with older software.
Excellent points. With WinXP use nothing later than IE6, in WIN7 stay with IE8. Jaguar doesn't really care whether SDD/IDS works with other versions of IE, or plays well with other software that may be on a multi-use computer. That's the reason I keep to dedicated laptops for diagnostics and don't even have SDD on my main computer anymore.

Cheers,

Old 10-25-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 4,457 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Well my replacement Mongooser arrived today in the post. Hope it works...
So time to get the updates on the laptop sorted and get back to tinkering.

Steve as mentioned i've got whatever the latest version of IE is possible (8?) on my XP Pro SP3 machine and it doesn't seem to give any problems. I'm just lucky or there is something else to look out for.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM

I installed win 7 32-bit onto the T4300 laptop and IDS is working there, so I am going to go with that.

With the laptop having the B950 processor, the tabman.exe error seemed to be a fault in kernel32.dll. I did some research on this and it was quite varied as to what were the symptoms, but no true solutions.

I don't believe it was an IE thing, because with xp, it was IE 6, and with Win7 it was IE 8. Mind you, the SDD interface was running in IE and that was displaying fine. Running SDD by putting in a current Jag VIN was no problem. It was going over to IDS that was the problem.

So my research of generic faults in the kernel32.dll was summarized as , memory allocation problems, password problems, other .dll files on the desktop, visual C ++ 2005 problems, etc. None of these documented problems were with the IDS system, or tabman.exe. Many were with IE support applications, video games, or oxbc (?), or something like that.

Now if you remember, when you install IDS/SDD, an aspect of Visual C ++ 2005 is installed. I thought that maybe there was some connection there, but what? When I installed IDS on the other computers, the same Visual C ++ 2005 dialogue box opened up, but tabman.exe, and hence IDS, ran ok on those computers. I found another laptop (yes, this makes a total of 5) that I was able to install the ids software on, and it worked (a u7300 processor).

So I took a step back and ascertained what I was able to do.

IDS worked on Win7 32-bit and dual core. It worked on XP sp3 on single cores, and XP sp3 on dual cores. It did not work on Win7 64-bit or the dual core B950 processor.

So I thought about the processors. It worked for both single cores and dual cores, except the B950. I did research on incompatibility of the B950 processor. I could not find anything.

So what made the B950 different, than my other processors? This.
The B950 has its graphics chip on the same die as the CPU. All of the other laptops had separate CPUS and graphics chips, though some did share memory.

So this begs the question. Does IDS run on I3, I5, and I7 computers that utilize the internal GPU, rather than an ATI, Nvidia or Intel external GPU?

I was thinking about the panasonic toughbooks. Are the toughbooks certified to run IDS, do they have internal or external GPUs?

Maybe there is something with the Visual C ++ 2005 aspect, but I have no idea where to go with that.

Anyway, I have it running on a laptop that I think will be ok. I also got JTIS working on this laptop, and would like to get JEPC running as well. It does open up, but no pictures of the part assemblies are displayed. So I am thinking that this is a flash problem. (fingers crossed)

The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (11-18-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 AM

So what made the B950 different, than my other processors? This.
The B950 has its graphics chip on the same die as the CPU. All of the other laptops had separate CPUS and graphics chips, though some did share memory.

So this begs the question. Does IDS run on I3, I5, and I7 computers that utilize the internal GPU, rather than an ATI, Nvidia or Intel external GPU?

I was thinking about the panasonic toughbooks. Are the toughbooks certified to run IDS, do they have internal or external GPUs?
Well, our three new CF-53 Toughbooks are the current spec units straight from SPX, and run i5 2.5Ghz processors. The operating system is Win7 SP1 [with automatic update turned OFF] and IE8. They all run IDS just fine.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 10-26-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

IDS (so legacy software) worked fine on my setup, used V130, Win7 32bit, all updates, IE9 and Java 7.9. The software is very sensitive, as the order in which you install things could mess it up, I installed first the full Win7 env and the SDD last.

Why it works for me I don't know, so better stick where possible to the recommended levels for just in case.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey new to the site but not new to the software, but I can honestly say IDS was so much easier to navigate than SDD. Also from my understanding SDD2 is going to be out and all new security comes with it so keep what you guys have and make back ups of the install files.

I'm a mechanic now, but software dev by education but I just couldnt stand sitting in a cube all day.

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool