General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Just in case others are in need, I'm setting up a link to the 'older' mongoose drivers that I was forced to use with my SDD v130. The Pro didn't work with the clone, and the one on the disc wasn't stable either with newer SDD versions succeeding 128.

J2534 64-bit version J2534 32-bit version

Last edited by H20boy; 05-24-2013 at 12:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
meirion1 (08-12-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This thread makes me want to buy a set-up already built and working correctly. Wow!

I did this with my old BMW and had all the goodies and programs for that car, fun stuff!.

I haven't needed a laptop for the Jag yet but it's now on the mod list!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Originally Posted by wearlej
Well, just to add to the knowledge out there, grabbed a copy of 131.01 from Ebay, installed to a VirtualBox WinXPSP2 32bit vm. Grabbed a ""Mongoose"" from ebay (Spanish Seller, although parcel had UK stamps on it)
Plugged it into the car 2003MYS-Type, manually entered the VIN, It tried to launch the Legacy IDS, did nothing, the car has now decided it has, a Gearbox fault, DTS not available, Engine warning light, Restricted performance and a Handbrake fault, so simply plugging this thing in seems to have killed the car.... *sigh*
That sounds like a flattish battery. Easily caused by playing with an OBD tool unless you use a battery maintainer (a charger, basically) or keep the engine running.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Which version of IDS SDD to acquire?

aa

Last edited by prolepsis; 06-12-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: demeaning response
Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

If you are using anything other than the version supplied by Jaguar, then you are entering into the area of bootleg software unless you happen to be a tech who had access to a copy originally obtained from Jaguar directly. Therefore, all the usual cautions apply including caveat emptor. The key to ebay is to review the negative buyer feedback *and* look for a long history. In this particular niche, it seems that the ebay vendors are far removed from the factory. Use the usual web vendors instead.

Various posters have cited the specific software versions they have used including the sub version in this thread. So, you will want to go back and find those.

Be aware that if you are buying a non-genuine device, the vendor will normally ship a DVD anyways.

meirion1 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Radio

Has anyone had any luck using the Mongoose JLR to change the entertainment radio module?

For example, 2 things I would like to do is add the AUX option to the radio to get the Audio Connectivity Module I installed to work.

and second, since I'm currently in Europe I'd like to change my radio frequencies to pick up .even numbers as well (US radio settings only have .odd frequencies).

I have a 2008 XKR (X150, US spec).

Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike V
and second, since I'm currently in Europe I'd like to change my radio frequencies to pick up .even numbers as well (US radio settings only have .odd frequencies).
I have a 2007 X Type and changed to the navigation system from standard. I bought a radio from Ebay UK ( I'm in Canada) and it had the European frequencies. I was able to change it to the North American frequencies with the Mongoose tool and SDD V131, but it wasn't easy to do. There isn't a radio setup option or anything, you have to go through the symptoms. Eventually I was able to find it under the "extras" tab I believe. However, I did have to go through the diagnostics first to get the extra tab to appear. I think what brought it up was clicking that the radio didn't work.

Experiment and be patient and you'll get there in the end.

Mike V (08-09-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

Finally got my mongoose to work properly after months of on and off effort.

I have read the training manual on this forum but I can't see where all the detailed

information about the car is.OK I have no warning light up and did not expect to see

any codes but it did not even say-No codes found!

I am beginning to think it is as clunky as the sat nav!

maybe I need a dtc first.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Default Training Manual

Originally Posted by meirion1
I have read the training manual on this forum .
Could someone please provide a link to the training manual? Please, tried a search and couldn't find it.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

They are all linked in this thread itself.

Mike V (08-30-2013)
Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! I was interested in buying a programmer, but am now scared to death to undertake such a venture!

Old 09-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJRTrooper
Wow! I was interested in buying a programmer, but am now scared to death to undertake such a venture!
You could consider that the vendors would have to sell at least into the hundreds of units to make the venture worthwhile.

Do you see hundreds of failures?

It would be safe to presume that the usual case of the dissatisfied customer complaining the more often than a satisfied customer praising a product to hold true for this product just like any other product.

Of course, it is always open to a user to buy any one of the J2534 products listed by Jaguar as being on the approved list. The two Drew Technologies products range in price between $500 and $1800.

Even with those products, there is the question of user error and judgement.

Give a guy a zip gun or a glock ... he can still manage to blow off his foot with either one although the glock is probably safer to carry and has a safety.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Default Acm

Ok, I've installed the Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module on my 2008 XKR The last step is to activate the auxiliary option on the audio menu using SDD.

I have v134 with a Mongoose. Right when I start to execute adding the AUX option the SDD session gives me a time stamp then the message:
"It is essential that the software status is updated to the latest version prior to performing a vehicle module software download"

Then tick to continue and no AUX option.

Can anyone tell me what this message means?

Thank you

Old 09-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 755 Likes on 633 Posts

I think you need to go back to v131 or earlier.After v131 you need a Topix subscription.

Buy the genuine Jaguar/land rover software from ebay, about $30.

Your Mongoose should work with that but you need the interface driver as well.

It is available on this forum.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JLR Mongoose install problem.

New install using version 128 on XP Pro, sp2, IE6, early Mongoose driver etc. I get to the SDD Tools page and see (the vcm is disconnected). When I connect the Mongoose cable it recognises it and says it's the wrong device. It will not let me continue to the next page. I see no way to enter any system setings to change the device to mongoose? Do I need to remove the vcm drivers that may have been installed automatically? HELP!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, New in here....

I have trouble, I need software that can program (not just code reader) etc. my 1999 S-type.

I already have Autocom but it doesn't cover this year, only 2001 -->

So I was looking IDS or Mongoose (Clone is fine as the price is lower) But I'm little confused when i look details of these deals... Other says 1998 upward and other that only from 2005 upward...
HELP.

Mongoose says that only x202...is it true?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by capt
New install using version 128 on XP Pro, sp2, IE6, early Mongoose driver etc. I get to the SDD Tools page and see (the vcm is disconnected). When I connect the Mongoose cable it recognises it and says it's the wrong device. It will not let me continue to the next page. I see no way to enter any system setings to change the device to mongoose? Do I need to remove the vcm drivers that may have been installed automatically? HELP!
"Update" I found that by connecting the Mongoose to the computer first and letting it load drivers, then opening ISD it now communicates as it should. This may not be the correct solution but seems to work for now.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need IDS software for AVDI PASSTHRU

Hi, i have a avdi scanner but i need the ids softwarwe to run it on avdi so if can anyone send me the link or the software .thank you very much.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:37 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

In the past few days I've read quite a bit about JLR, J2534, this thread, etc., and have a rather lame question:

As plums has stated earlier, "The Mongoose is a protocol converter, nothing else." On one side it has J2534-1/2 standard, and on the other a number of industry standards (CAN, J1850, ISO9141, etc.).

As far as I can tell, there are other such "standard" protocol converters (see attachment). Is there something really special about Mongoose design/operation that other converters don't have? Do they really utilize one, or more, of the "Manufacturer discretion" lines from the OBDII J1962 connector to do full diagnostics?

I mean, what do you think will happen if you run JLR through a non-Mongoose converter? Or IDS on a Ford vehicle? Get "generic" OBDII diagnostics only? As this is the original idea behind the J2534 and "pass thru" concept, right?

Just thinking out loud here, which maybe is total rubbish....

Attached Thumbnails Cloned dealer scan tool-standard_vci_converter.png  
Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member

You would need to verify capabilities with the particular vendor.

There are only three devices on the "approved" list from Jaguar.

In the case of the Mongoose, it has to be the Jaguar specific version. That is because there is one particular signal used by Jaguar and implemented in that version that is not implemented in the other versions.

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool