General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Forget about the comms with the ECM on this car. There are some VIN ranges of the X-Type that SDD will never read the ECM. That is, it will never read codes, and it will never show as communicating on the Session Screen. Some kind of bug in the SDD software. Jaguar doesn't seem to plan to address it as these cars are older now and they have moved on the the new stuff. That keeps their plate pretty full as you can imagine.

While SDD won't read the ECM for these things, other stuff like datalogger generally do work, I haven't had much trouble there. I just rely on another scantool, like my ScanXL, for driveability diagnostics.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 11-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Cambo (11-24-2013), Krasi (11-09-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Did you input the VIN manually?

The X308 behaves this way. SDD will never read the VIN. It has to be input manually, then SDD recognises the port as belonging to a X308 and fires up the legacy IDS software because the X308 is not covered by SDD. But, once in IDS, it is completely functional.

Also, on the X308 the car can run flawlessly while the diagnostic port is impaired. A generic scanner will run, but not IDS if the cigar lighter fuse is blown. IDS uses some pins which are not part of the OBD-II standard.

Last edited by plums; 11-08-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Forget about the comms with the ECM on this car. There are some VIN ranges of the X-Type that SDD will never read the ECM. That is, it will never read codes, and it will never show as communicating on the Session Screen. Some kind of bug in the SDD software. Jaguar doesn't seem to plan to address it as these cars are older now and they have moved on the the new stuff. That keeps their plate pretty full as you can imagine.

While SDD won't read the ECM for these things, other stuff like datalogger generally do work, I haven't had much trouble there. I just rely on another scantool, like my ScanXL, for driveability diagnostics.

Cheers,
According to the support matrix earlier in that thread X-Types are fully supported by SDD through Mongoose, but apparently it's not so indeed.

@Plums, it reads the VIN automatically and it doesn't invoke IDS or anything. SDD handles the communication only.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Not an expert on these IT systems but willing to acquire this for my X350 04.
I have read several times this very interesting thread (thx to all contributors) and am going to purchase the Mongoose. Still hesitating between the original device and a clone Mongoose from uobd2 but scared to face all the tricks that have been reported here, so more inclined to bite the bullet and purchase the original MongoosePro tunertools one.
I have already bought IDS/SDD v131 through ebay (two CDs including the calibration files) and am acquiring a used laptop for dedicated use (dualcore, win seven pro 64 bit installed but I understand this soft allows running XP Pro in kind of virtual mode, so in principle no expected issues of compatibility).
Next step (now actually) is to purchase the Mongoose(Pro).
I have a couple of questions to those who have a well running cloned Mongoose:
1. Is it necessary, in all cases, to keep the non-Pro firmware/driver (slower) in order to avoid heating or other issues related to possible upgrade to the Pro version?
2. When you received the Mongoose (Pro or not), do you need to update the driver by going to the Drew site or can you use the Mongoose as delivered with the driver that is provided by the seller on the CD?
Cheers

Old 11-09-2013, 09:02 AM

I used the driver provided with the JLR installation, and its installer was actually in Chinese No idea if it's pro or not, but from what I see - it's not.

The following users liked this post:
paydase (11-09-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thx for the feedback.
So would be a non Pro. Didi you update the driver or not?
And, more importantly, does it work (reading codes and allowing reprogramming): did you undertake some operations?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by paydase
Thx for the feedback.
So would be a non Pro. Didi you update the driver or not?
And, more importantly, does it work (reading codes and allowing reprogramming): did you undertake some operations?
No, I didn't update the driver (nor I will).

And yes, it does work, although I just read and cleaned up some DTCs. Haven't had time to fool around more yet.

paydase (11-11-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 198 Posts
Default My observations

I read every single post in this thread with heightened interest! My observations are as follows:

- The majority of the posts with complaints appear to be exclusively related to Chinese Mongoose clones
- I do not recall seeing a single complaint from anyone using the real Mongoose ($600 version).
- Software and driver installation / configuration seems to be an art and the proper sequence needs to be observed.

My plan is as follows:

- Dedicated laptop running (Dell, dual core, Inter processor) Windows XP 32bit, SP2 or Windows 7 32 bit
- Get the real JLR Mongoose
- Get the Midtronics PSC-550S Vehicle Power Supply as recommended by Jaguar and install it on a fully charged battery everytime I connect the laptop with the Mongoose for laptop for anything.

It appears that the version of IDS / SDS that does not require online access is version 130 or earlier. Now by reading the posts, getting the software off of eBay also appears to be a shot in the dark.

I am sure I will probably go back and review this meaty thread but for now, I only have one question:

- What would be a reliable source to the the IDS /SDS version 130 that is known to work? (eBay vendor or otherwise)

I'd like to be able to not only read/clear codes but do flashing as well such as TCM reflash, clearing TCM adaptations and running the TCM adaptation drive cycle for starting out....

Thanx!

paydase (11-25-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Lagonia
I read every single post in this thread with heightened interest! My observations are as follows:

- The majority of the posts with complaints appear to be exclusively related to Chinese Mongoose clones
- I do not recall seeing a single complaint from anyone using the real Mongoose ($600 version).
- Software and driver installation / configuration seems to be an art and the proper sequence needs to be observed.

My plan is as follows:

- Dedicated laptop running (Dell, dual core, Inter processor) Windows XP 32bit, SP2 or Windows 7 32 bit
- Get the real JLR Mongoose
- Get the Midtronics PSC-550S Vehicle Power Supply as recommended by Jaguar and install it on a fully charged battery everytime I connect the laptop with the Mongoose for laptop for anything.

It appears that the version of IDS / SDS that does not require online access is version 130 or earlier. Now by reading the posts, getting the software off of eBay also appears to be a shot in the dark.

I am sure I will probably go back and review this meaty thread but for now, I only have one question:

- What would be a reliable source to the the IDS /SDS version 130 that is known to work? (eBay vendor or otherwise)

I'd like to be able to not only read/clear codes but do flashing as well such as TCM reflash, clearing TCM adaptations and running the TCM adaptation drive cycle for starting out....

Thanx!

I'd like to share with You with my experience with chinese Mongoose, maybe You find it helpful. I've just acquired one of these clones called Mangoose cable + v134 SDD, the total cost was 64,00$ including shipping fee.
Well, it works like a dream. It also does stuff such as TCM reflash, clearing TCM adaptations and running the TCM adaptation drive cycle, module programming, DTC's, Self tests etc. V134 SDD version works offline, it doesn't need any activation via internet.

For those who have problems with SDD softwere, here's my proposal of installation of SDD which I recommend to You:
1. Check the software for viruses. Mine had one. I've used trial version of Norton anvirus ot clear the file from virus (most of free antivirus software only delete infected files, they don't "heal")
2. Install Virtualisation add-on to Win7 OS. This tool can installed as an update to Win 7 OS (by the way, the hardware I use is Packard Bell with Intel i7 4GB RAM, ant the OS is Win 7 HP 64 bit). With this add on You will be able to create Virtual machine inside Your "real" machine. It's something like XP mode in Win 7 Professional version (Inception?).
3. Configure Virtual Machine and install WinXP 32 bit onto Virtual Machine. It's better to install US language version, some other versions don't work with SDD. In my case SDD terminated installation in PL XP OS version.
4. Finally if Your Virtual Machine with Win XP installed is ready You may proceed installing SDD software. After that You install delivered Mongoose driver and 'voila'.

The following 2 users liked this post by zdrapec:
Corv (02-28-2014), paydase (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Thx for these two last very helpful comments and feedback. It helps me making my mind on which Mongoose to purchase.
As reported above, I have acquired the IDS/SDD v131 (including calibration files, here is the link for Lagonia, seems to be a reputable seller in UK still offering the item for £35 Jaguar Land Rover IDS / SDD v131.03 + Calibration files. With Login / password | eBay). I think it's a security to have this even though Mongoose sellers also provide other versions because they may be corrupted.
I have now purchased a laptop for dedicated use, a Lenovo with dual core, Win 7-64, and 8 GB of RAM; I have installed yesterday a virtual machine within it with XP Pro SP3 mode (English/European language) and 2 GB allocated RAM, assuming that IDS/SDD will best work under XP and may require substantial access to RAM. As mentioned, careful checking for viruses is probably a must and the virtualization helps containing risks from installing external software.
Reading what zdrapec reports, I am now inclined to take the risk of making a trial with the "Mangoose" device, much cheaper than the original MongoosePro, crossing fingers for no catatstrop happening when connecting it to the OBD. I am also interested to learn that apparently IDS/SDD can works correctly even when installed before the Mangoose driver (I thought, according to this thread, that the IDS/SDD had to be installed at the very end). I have some questions to you:
1. Can you provide the link/address of the seller of the "Mangoose" that works fine for you?
2. when checking the software for viruses, did you try beforehand the MS Windows Security Essentials that are already installed within Windows 7 and did that not detect the virus?
3. Did you have to set a date prior to 1st January 2013 in your system to avoid requests of the IDS/SDD for update through connection to Topix?
4. did you upload the latest driver for the MongoosePro from the Drew site (even if your "Mangoose" is not coming from Drew, is that possible) and isn't there a risk to "burn" the device by converting a non-Pro firmware to a Pro version, as reported previously in this thread?
5. can you confirm the sequence of events: a. IDS/SDD download in the virtual XP machine; b. installation of the driver; c. update of the driver; d. launching of IDS/SDD; e. connection of laptop to OBDII?
6. Finally, did you use an external power supply such as Midtronics or Iota to ensure stable voltage when running codes' scans, and/or how long does it take to do so, to avoid laptop's and car's battery draining?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paydase
1. Can you provide the link/address of the seller of the "Mangoose" that works fine for you?
2. when checking the software for viruses, did you try beforehand the MS Windows Security Essentials that are already installed within Windows 7 and did that not detect the virus?
3. Did you have to set a date prior to 1st January 2013 in your system to avoid requests of the IDS/SDD for update through connection to Topix?
4. did you upload the latest driver for the MongoosePro from the Drew site (even if your "Mangoose" is not coming from Drew, is that possible) and isn't there a risk to "burn" the device by converting a non-Pro firmware to a Pro version, as reported previously in this thread?
5. can you confirm the sequence of events: a. IDS/SDD download in the virtual XP machine; b. installation of the driver; c. update of the driver; d. launching of IDS/SDD; e. connection of laptop to OBDII?
6. Finally, did you use an external power supply such as Midtronics or Iota to ensure stable voltage when running codes' scans, and/or how long does it take to do so, to avoid laptop's and car's battery draining?
1. Jaguar Land Rover JLR Mangoose
2. Nope, never heard of it I use freeware Comodo Intrenet Security pack, it detected suspicious file, but it only denies access do infected file, it doen't cure it. So I've downloaded and installed free trial version of Norton which cured infected file, and then I've uninstalled it.
3. So far there were no update requests form SDD, so the was no need to do any date modifications. To be honest, I don't have much experience with SDD, so far I've connected SDD do my car only for 2 times and so far I didn't ecountered any problems.
4. Tried to do it, but no effect. I've downloaded and installed 32 bit, 64 bit MoongosePro, and even Mongoose ISO/CAN and Mongoose Ford drivers availiable at Drew Tech site, none of them works with MAngoose device. There's dedicated driver for MAngoose delivered by the seller on one of DVD's, and this then only one that works with MAngoose. So far I' didn't found any other suitble driver. One more word about burnt Mongoose clones, IMHO the thing that kills them is firmware upgrade to PRO version, not OS driver upgrade. As written above, none of Drewtech MongoosePRO drivers work with MAngoose, I didn't tried firmware upgrade, and I won't do it, too risky.
5. My sequence:
a) Disable any network access to Virtual Machine
b) XP installation
c) SDD installation
d) SDD software license file replacement
e) MAngoose driver installation
d) MAngoose device - connect to USB
e) SSD launch
d) Connect to OBDII

6. I didn't used external power supply. Code reading, modules check takes about 2-3 minutes. The SDD was runnig for about 1,5 hours, and i didn't noticed any battery draining symptoms.

paydase (11-25-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why take a chance with clone tools?https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...ftware-105424/

Works on all jags before '07XK, and does anything the dealer could do to your car.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

IDS/SDD does more but main reason is it's a LOT cheaper than $500.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM

When dealing with 95-07 Jags, the IDS/SDD doesnt do anything more than WDS. Using one software release off EBAY with no updates doesnt give you full SDD benefits anyway. A real SDD with mongoose has issues with older cars anyway. (current SDD sw doesnt get codes from X-type ECMs). The newer software has advances for the new cars. Nothing will be developed for cars that are over 5 years old, unless its for some kind of compliance issue (recall). As the newer software progresses, it seems the compatability with the older stuff gets pushed off the backside. I wouldnt use a knockoff mongoose to program anything. If you turn the car into a large paperweight, you have no recovery. After a tow to the dealer, any savings from buying the knockoff will have evaporated.

A mongoose goes for $600, then you need the IDS discs, and a laptop. I dont see how you could get something better than a WDS for the older cars. For example: if you have a 2005 XJ, that car is frozen in time, so is the WDS with the last disc 43 loaded on it. The WDS was the tool when your car was relevant, and SDD doesnt have any "magic" new software to make your car better.

If you have a laptop, a cheap SDD disc setup, and a knockoff mongoose, and got it all for $300 or so, good. I would still stongly advise against programming anything just for the sake of updating a module. To use it to read codes, datalogger etc., theres not much to go wrong. Good luck to all with your decisions.

And no matter what you use on your car, make sure to use a battery tender while Trying to program anything.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

You really do want to sell your old kit. A clone Mongoose is very cheap.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 AM

I say again: If you turn the car into a large paperweight, you have no recovery. After a tow to the dealer, any savings from buying the knockoff will have evaporated.

And thats just the tow bill. Wait until the dealer gets through with you.

As for my WDS's, I dont care if they are bought or not. I have one for my '00 XJR, and one I use for Fords. Then the 2 Im selling.

If I didnt have a WDS, I'd make a clone IDS too. I'm not faulting anyone there. I'd probably even try a knock off Mongoose as well. BUT, I would never, ever, try to program modules, keys, or reset trans adaptions with it.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnie ryall
I say again: If you turn the car into a large paperweight, you have no recovery. After a tow to the dealer, any savings from buying the knockoff will have evaporated.

And thats just the tow bill. Wait until the dealer gets through with you.

As for my WDS's, I dont care if they are bought or not. I have one for my '00 XJR, and one I use for Fords. Then the 2 Im selling.

If I didnt have a WDS, I'd make a clone IDS too. I'm not faulting anyone there. I'd probably even try a knock off Mongoose as well. BUT, I would never, ever, try to program modules, keys, or reset trans adaptions with it.
Huh! Even after the slap in the face, I'll have to agree with johnnie. A clone for general diagnostics, datalogger, code extraction and such, I'm good with. The risk using them for programming is real. Sure, it'll work fine......until it doesn't. Then you are in a pickle, and I hope it's your car, not someone elses.

Cheers,

motorcarman (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM

Sorry, no slap intended. What I mean is that towing your '00 xj into the dealer and maybe getting a bill for the $4000 ECM that only the dealer can program is going to put a damper on your attempt to work on your car yourself. If you fry a module with a clone tool and the car will no longer run, you have to go to the dealer. You could fry a module at the dealer using a real IDS, but Its more remote.

This thread is 20 pages of trying to cobble up a clone IDS. Lots of posts about what works and what doesnt. Most post signatures have cars that are in the WDS era. You have to weigh the risk, time, aggevation, and lack of support against the WDS. You can get a Ford WDS off EBAY or whatever, get the JAG43 discs off this forum, and load them it. You dont get any factory support either, but its what the dealers used on the cars until 06.

Just be careful with needless programming.

motorcarman (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn't look like people are doing needless programming.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

If a 1995-2006 Jaguar comes to my shop I will NOT try to use the Mongoose first.
I will use WDS for EVERYTHING on those cars including configuring keys and clearing adaptations.

WDS might be a dinosaur but it is MY dinosaur and I used it at the Dealer from it's inception to it's replacement.

I liked IDS but I DO NOT like SDD. I never learned all the little tricks SDD has so I am jaded.

The 'stand-alone' feature is GREAT and WDS does NOT ask for updates everytime I boot the PTU. If I could get an old VCM with IDS that did not require verification I would buy it.

If you are working on older cars there is nothing wrong with using the tools that were used when they were NEW.

bob gauff

Panthro (11-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool