General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't recall any reports of people frying any modules using cloned mongoose cables and SDD. Has this happened? I'm curious to be directed to any such reports.

I do recall reading reports of people frying their cloned mongoose cables by updating with incorrect firmware. This is very different to destroying your car.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

That's all I recall, too. (Not saying I wouldn't want WDS if I had an old car, but I don't have an old car or want to spend so much getting WDS. Now, WDS on the really cheap - yes.)

Old 11-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Hi everybody,
From the most recent feedback in this forum and others, I observe that risks are non-null of getting problems with a clone and, if so, the bill will quickly increase to nullify the benefits of not having purchased the real stuff. As I'm not a very competent DIY, especially considering electronics and informatics, I will probably bite the bullet and go for the real Mc Coy.
I have looked for an authorised dealer within the EU (where I live) to avoid any uncertainties/issues related to import the Drew item from the USA. Up to now, excluding ebay, I've only found one supplier in the UK, which sells the item at £395 + VAT and I put the link here for those interested:
https://www.mavericktechnology.co.uk...ongoosepro-jlr
Concerning a stabilised power supply of 12V-50 Amps that could have specs close to the Midtronics or Iota sold in the US, I identified a number of suppliers, again in the UK, through ebay, :
12V 50A Power Supply | eBay
I am still unclear on the required applications and drivers that need to be installed beforehand on the laptop. My laptop runs Win 7 64, browser is FF, and I intend to install IDS/SDD (v131.03, discs that I purchased from UK) and required applications in the virtual PC running XP-SP3. My questions are the folllowing:
1. I have understood that you need AdobeReader and Java. Can you tell me which are the versions (latest ones or earlier) that I should download to best fit and if there are known compatibility issues with other software?
3. Any other applications required?
3. Do I need to re-install these applications in the virtual machine (instead of within, or in addition to the host machine)?
Thx for your help

Old 11-29-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

SDD and the MongoosePro require Win7 32-bit, not 64-bit; Adobe Reader and Java also, but the Java version needs to be version 6, update 26. Later Java versions can and have caused real problems.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
paydase (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 260 Posts

Thx for your reply.
I know that Windows 7-64 is not suitable but I understand that the virtual machine that you can build under Win 7-64 with the XP mode only runs under 32 bit (also because XP Pro-SP3 which is the virtual OS installed does not exist in 64 bit). That also means that Adobe and Java downloads have to be made directly in the virtual machine to get the 32 bit versions.
Also thx for the tip for Java!
Cheers,

Old 11-30-2013, 05:12 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I purchased my genuine product through Maverick about this time last year, delivery all OK and loaded up as the instructions that came with, had no issues with anything.
Been fixing Jags with it since and never let me down using SDD version 128. TS

Old 12-12-2013, 12:50 PM
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I ordered one of the Chinese clones from here: Promotion JLR Mangoose for Jaguar and Land Rover V134

I ordered November 18th and it's still not in the USPS system (though Singpost says it has been shipped).

Anyone else experience long wait times? Or is it time to get Paypal involved?

Old 12-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter34
I ordered one of the Chinese clones from here: Promotion JLR Mangoose for Jaguar and Land Rover V134

I ordered November 18th and it's still not in the USPS system (though Singpost says it has been shipped).

At this point, whether "they" consider it normal or not, I'd involve PayPal so everyone is on notice and you have something on record.

My two cents.........

Old 12-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

That specific site has delivered to other JF members.

Paypal give you 45 days to file a dispute, so if you file the dispute on the 44th day you have another 20 days to escalate to a complaint.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Just a quick update. I did receive it finally. I guess the holidays slowed everything to a crawl. I got it a couple of days before Christmas. Just finished installing on a VMWare WinXP32 image.

The following 2 users liked this post by hunter34:
Norri (01-10-2014), xjrguy (01-10-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I also received my "Mangoose", ordered from AliExpress:

JLR Mangoose for Jaguar and Land Rover V134 Newest Version-in Electrical Testers & Test Leads from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

The actual delivered unit says "Mongoose" and has a Drew Technologies sticker with serial on it.

3 DVD's accompany the cable, with V134 of SDD.

Installed in XP SP3 running in VMWare. Connected to the Jag, everything works just fine, no connection issues at all.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:25 AM

I finally got the VMWare XP SP3 32-bit with all "fixes" applied, Java 6 update 26 (all other versions turned off), and I turned networking off for this VM. I get the green blinking light on the device and it says that the device is connected.

However, when I start the software, I get to the point where it tries to read the VIN, and I get an error that the VIN is "", please retry. I hit retry and I get into this endless loop of it trying to read the VIN, but it keeps retrieving a blank string. If I unplug the clone tool and enter the serial manually, I get a java crash screen.

Anyone else run into this behavior?

This is for a 2004 XJR

Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Subscribed, mongoose coming in next week and I'm looking forward to getting it working.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I finally got the VMWare XP SP3 32-bit with all "fixes" applied, Java 6 update 26 (all other versions turned off), and I turned networking off for this VM. I get the green blinking light on the device and it says that the device is connected.

However, when I start the software, I get to the point where it tries to read the VIN, and I get an error that the VIN is "", please retry. I hit retry and I get into this endless loop of it trying to read the VIN, but it keeps retrieving a blank string. If I unplug the clone tool and enter the serial manually, I get a java crash screen.

Anyone else run into this behavior?

This is for a 2004 XJR
I would uninstall, and try again...with both the software and your Java. Start with the basics, and only 'update' or make changes when it doesn't work. Most have success with the base SDD and the correct mongoose driver. Remember, the JLR pro driver doesn't work with the clones. There is also a separate VDF update that has something to do with vehicle identification, that you could try updating. I've got that for v131 if you want me to upload it for you.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Default manual vin entry

There are certain models and vehicle years where you have to input the VIN manually. It will never be able to read the VIN on its own. The documentation infers this since the support matrix shows limited support for model years before 2005. This is a CYA statement for the developers, but it does alert the reader that they may face some limitations for model years before 2005. Manual VIN input is one of them and applies equally to all J2534 hardware as it is a software limitation.

So, input the VIN manually and hit the other button. Forgot what it was labelled, but there are only a couple of buttons on that screen.

Once the VIN is entered it will proceed to gather the "as built" configuration and ask for confirmation of any items it is confused about.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 AM

Sorry, i should have followed up. I had originally installed it with Norton AV installed. I think there are some old school things that the installation does that looks like a virus these days. So, I uninstalled everything, including Microsoft Security Essentials and Norton Antivirus. Then I re-installed everything.

It works great! I've got a VMWare session of Windows XP 32-bit and I've got networking turned off as well as file sharing. So, it's effectively sandboxed and the only data that gets in and out of the session is via the dongle.

I plug in the car as instructed, and after a brief wait, it reads the VIN and everything correctly and starts a new session.

Now I have the learning curve of actually trying to figure out how to use the program. It's steep enough that I decided to let my local Indy fix the current CEL, which ended up being a small vacuum leak and something with the MAP.

Hopefully I'll have more time in the summer to hit the books.

Cheers.
Mark

Old 03-04-2014, 07:47 PM
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I am very much used to the BMW system. Go to the module and click update or reflash etc.

I am running IDS v131 which I purchased and then a mongoose cable. It works fine on a 07 XK, reads the modules etc etc.

My only issue is how the hell do you do updates? I can't find my way into a specific module to reflash or update? Like the transmission software or the touch screen.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:14 AM
Veteran Member

Replied in other post about this.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Jagv8

Why is it that everysingle TSB I read keeps going on about connect IDS up and programme this module etc etc.

It's all IDS instructions not SDD instructions :S

Does mongoose work with IDS and is there IDS software around?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

You just posted above you've IDS.

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool