General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

You know that you can't have both the Ford/Mazda and Jaguar/Landrover IDS' installed on the same C: drive? They mess with each other. Sorry can't help with XP Pro...

The following users liked this post:
Six Rotors (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
You know that you can't have both the Ford/Mazda and Jaguar/Landrover IDS' installed on the same C: drive? They mess with each other. Sorry can't help with XP Pro...
Very good point to keep in mind. I always buy a second or third drive caddy for the laptop and switch out the drives to go back and forth.

Cheers,

Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 265 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Some Progress

I am making slow progress.
1.I got another laptop--Dell Inspiron700---1.6 MHz,2GB ram,60GB hard drive,WindowsXP Pro---all for $80.Works great.
2.Loaded Mongoose drivers and tool connected---drivers from the vendor and Drew Tech drivers worked.
3.The files on the CD provided by the vendor appear to be corrupted or something---anyway SDD will not install.See attachment.
4.Took a look at the download site mentioned earlier---time to download 11hours wtf.So I have ordered my own SSD CD130.07 from e-bay.
5.This interspersed with tiling part of laundry and installing new dryer vent.
Hence slow progress,beng 68.5 yrs old doesnt help.

Today is the 9th anniversary of my fatal heart attack--2 cardiac arrests.I did get better!

Attached Thumbnails Cloned dealer scan tool-jaguar-stuff-003.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Six Rotors
I am making slow progress.
1.I got another laptop--Dell Inspiron700---1.6 MHz,2GB ram,60GB hard drive,WindowsXP Pro---all for $80.Works great.
2.Loaded Mongoose drivers and tool connected---drivers from the vendor and Drew Tech drivers worked.
3.The files on the CD provided by the vendor appear to be corrupted or something---anyway SDD will not install.See attachment.
4.Took a look at the download site mentioned earlier---time to download 11hours wtf.So I have ordered my own SSD CD130.07 from e-bay.
5.This interspersed with tiling part of laundry and installing new dryer vent.
Hence slow progress,beng 68.5 yrs old doesnt help.

Today is the 9th anniversary of my fatal heart attack--2 cardiac arrests.I did get better!
You are absolutely right about the probable corruption. I've had that very thing happen a few times when downloading SDD updates. I just have to do it again and then it works.

Don't overwork on that laundry, six. Take your time, and both it and the SDD thing will come out OK!

And...........Happy Anniversary!

Cheers,

Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 AM

Just a word of warning to everyone who's bought a Mongoose from China.

Mine has died, stopped working. Plug it in to the laptop and nothing happens, completely dead.

I am contacting the seller today, will keep you informed of the progress.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I ordered my mongoose from china yet it hasn't reached my doorstep just yet. I did, however, receive my v127 and v125 CDs today from the UK. I do home mine holds up longer than yours cambo.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm trying to get a handle on what I would need for my 04 XJR. I know things changed at some point with the X350's. My 04, or 03 in the UK, apparently, is too old to use the Mongoose cable, and would apparently use either IDS or WDS. I'm having trouble understanding exactly what would be required for this vehicle, VIN G20192. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM

The Mongoose works with all X350's. Will also work with older cars too but with some restriction on flashing the ECUs...

Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by xjrguy
what I didn't say and probably should have, is that to launch IDS after the introduction of SDD, you have to go to the program folder and locate the launch program and send a shortcut to the desktop for IDS.
Well, I specifically got a v125 (says v125.00 in the lower left corner of the SDD screen), and the default shortcut takes it to SDD only, and of course, this doesn't fully 'talk' to either my 03 xk8 or 05 xj8 using a Mongoose JLR cable on driver v 1.2.12 (non-pro). It will read the VIN and identify the vehicle, but it stays in the SDD screen and no diagnostic tools or vehicle systems show up. I also show that gold key on the side for a locked access. I looked for an .exe file in the folder for the JLR program, but can't find a specific IDS file. xjrguy, Do you know the location and name of the file to bring up legacy IDS?

BTW, motorcarman's laptop did the exact same thing, SDD couldn't go past the VIN on either of my cars, and he went directly to his WDS for service.

I've setup two other partitions on my laptop, going to install my other CD v127, and the v131 at the diagnosticdelivery.com site. The process for an install takes hours, so it may be awhile before I have an opinion of either of those for my cars. I'll also see if the pro driver will have any influence on the roadblock.

Last edited by H20boy; 09-22-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added cable info and driver
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
Well, I specifically got a v125 (says v125.00 in the lower left corner of the SDD screen), and the default shortcut takes it to SDD only, and of course, this doesn't fully 'talk' to either my 03 xk8 or 05 xj8 using a Mongoose JLR cable on driver v 1.2.12 (non-pro). It will read the VIN and identify the vehicle, but it stays in the SDD screen and no diagnostic tools or vehicle systems show up. I also show that gold key on the side for a locked access. I looked for an .exe file in the folder for the JLR program, but can't find a specific IDS file. xjrguy, Do you know the location and name of the file to bring up legacy IDS?

BTW, motorcarman's laptop did the exact same thing, SDD couldn't go past the VIN on either of my cars, and he went directly to his WDS for service.

I've setup two other partitions on my laptop, going to install my other CD v127, and the v131 at the diagnosticdelivery.com site. The process for an install takes hours, so it may be awhile before I have an opinion of either of those for my cars. I'll also see if the pro driver will have any influence on the roadblock.
Well Matt, that whole point is sort of mute now. Go back to post 60, where I covered most of that:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...e3/#post543175

While DVD125 was supposed to work with the Mongoose, it didn't fully; and no one is going to go back and make it work. However, it did work with DVD127 and has gotten better with each newer version. We're on DVD131 now, and I use the MongoosePro daily.

I also covered the key [Engineering Mode] in that post.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

Thanks Steve, i'm glad I didn't just settle on acquiring ONLY v125. I also purchased a v128, and after the program required a mandatory VCM update (w/o the internet access), SDD was able to connect to my 05 xj8...didn't check the xk8 just yet (but feeling good about it)

I programmed a new key transponder and disabled 'drive away locking' through the SDD. Very happy with the features available to me. I didn't re-do the air suspension system 'adjustment' because I am very happy with the 15mm drop motorcarman helped me get on the front using his WDS. The function was there though!

Also, my Mongoose cable is the blue plastic one, has the same label as sixrotors on page 4, even has the philips head screws. I purchased it for $109 from obd2.com.

I did not use the software that came with the tool, not even for the driver. I would much rather download all of the files from diagnosticdelivery before I installed any of those on that Cd/DVD that came with the cable. BTW, v131 is actually up there.

My software was from the UK, and I paid about $35per ea. verson.

Last edited by H20boy; 09-29-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: removed a link
plums (11-18-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Careful fellas, just a note to tell you that as of SDD DVD131.04, commonly called patch 4, SDD requires either a dealer guy's personal log on, OR the authentication code given to an independent when they purchase a subscription through TOPIx.

This authentication is required every 12 hours, or every 4 hours if the machine is idle for a period of time.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 09-25-2012 at 11:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by xjrguy:
Bill400 (09-29-2012), Cambo (09-26-2012), Six Rotors (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Thanks for this update, shame though for the small enthousiast, but it was bound to happen one day...

Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

as of SDD DVD131.04, commonly called patch 4, SDD requires either a dealer guy's personal log on, OR the authentication code given to an independent
That's good to know Steve, appreciate the heads up. I'm not updating anything as long as v128 works for both of my cars.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
That's good to know Steve, appreciate the heads up. I'm not updating anything as long as v128 works for both of my cars.
Matt,

Contact Bob and have him forward the note I sent him earlier; applies to you as well.

Glad you found a setup that works!

Cheers,

H20boy (09-25-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 265 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Functioning Tool

My JLR SDD disc arrived today--DVD 130.V7.113.It loaded as it should and activated the JLR Mongoose.Hooked it to the car and voila read the VIN and asked if I wanted to open IDS since my car is a 2004,4.2 NA.Took a cruise around and found a bunch of codes in the auxiliary systems.Total cost(for now)$330 including used laptop(and software).

I have taken my car off the road for winter and to perform my maintenance program.The plan is to change all filters and fluids---so far have changed diff fluid,spark plugs,oil/filter.
I also have to fix the DRLS and low beam H/L--unfortunately it looks like a wiring problem(s)--bulbs,fuses and GECM are OK.

Have attached a few pics for interest.

Attached Thumbnails Cloned dealer scan tool-motor.jpg   Cloned dealer scan tool-bumper-removed.jpg   Cloned dealer scan tool-fuel-filter.jpg   Cloned dealer scan tool-harness-fender.jpg   Cloned dealer scan tool-weird-wiring-harness.jpg  

Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I have also ordered a JLR Mongooser from one of those fly-by-night, sleep-by-day vendors in the far east.

Though Jaguar dealerships are encouraged to use Panasonic toughbooks with this and VCM adapters, are the toughbooks really necessary? Someone posted a bulletin that stated the toughbook CF-19 Mk1 was no longer supported, but the CF-19 MK2 and later are. The difference from these two laptops was the processor and the memory speed.

So here is my concern. If the software can determine and checks for the appropriate level of processor and speed of memory, then what are the constraints if I wanted to use a Non-toughbook laptop?

Sure, the easy answer is: "Buy a toughbook CF-19 Mk2 or later, and don't worry about it." But I already have a bunch of laptops, I would like to be able to use one of them. And even used, old toughbooks are a bit pricey.

And worse, I might be totally wasting my time, as I have a 2003 S-Type. I have seen some vendors claim the JLR Mongoose will not work with my car.

I have already downloaded the V131 from the diagnosticdelivery site. Perhaps I should just buy the V128 from ebay?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by heima
I have also ordered a JLR Mongooser from one of those fly-by-night, sleep-by-day vendors in the far east.

Though Jaguar dealerships are encouraged to use Panasonic toughbooks with this and VCM adapters, are the toughbooks really necessary? Someone posted a bulletin that stated the toughbook CF-19 Mk1 was no longer supported, but the CF-19 MK2 and later are. The difference from these two laptops was the processor and the memory speed.

So here is my concern. If the software can determine and checks for the appropriate level of processor and speed of memory, then what are the constraints if I wanted to use a Non-toughbook laptop?

Sure, the easy answer is: "Buy a toughbook CF-19 Mk2 or later, and don't worry about it." But I already have a bunch of laptops, I would like to be able to use one of them. And even used, old toughbooks are a bit pricey.

And worse, I might be totally wasting my time, as I have a 2003 S-Type. I have seen some vendors claim the JLR Mongoose will not work with my car.

I have already downloaded the V131 from the diagnosticdelivery site. Perhaps I should just buy the V128 from ebay?
Don't worry about the CF-19 disabling thing, you can use just about any laptop. The disabling thing has to do with the original Toughbooks supplied to dealers when IDS was launched. Those were spec'd out by Jag and they want their use discontinued, they want us to be using the new CF-53's they specify. To that end, they are disabling them to force the move to CF-53's.

I still have two Toughbook CF-29's in use and they work fine with either the VCM or the MongoosePro JLR. They are just a bit slower than the new Toughbooks.

I also have a drive loaded up with SDD so I can use it in my Dell Inspiron 1545. It's normally my right arm as it has all my technical info and archives, but I can switch drives and use it for SDD if I need to.

Just be careful and heed the note about DVD131.04 in my prior post.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

I saw that note. Thank you Steve.
Well, if the software isn't picky, I guess I can use a dell vostro, or dell inspirion, or lenovo, or whatever I can find on the scrap heap. I guess a core 2 duo is the minimum processor?

pj9cos (12-17-2021)
Old 09-26-2012, 03:10 AM

I'm running mine on a Dell Latitude D420, it works.

Steve thanks again for the heads up about DVD131.04!

I think the way around this will be to manually update DVD130 to the last version, without bringing the SDD online & downloading an update, then turn off all the updates & hopefully it won't realise there is another update waiting.

Or worst case we will have to keep making new installations of DVD130 or whatever we have on disc, and when it eventually locks itself just start again....

Was bound to happen. Actually the conspiracy-theorist in me thinks that maybe this thread (and a similar one on the UK site) might have contributed to the SDD getting locked down. Never before had there been such discussion on an open forum about IDS/SDD. There was one forum in the UK, kind of underground, which was blatantly talking about hacked versions and trading user credentials, but it's been shut down since end of August or so...

And i'm still waiting to hear back if the seller will admit to receiving my Mongoose in the post, and if they will replace it...now if they say it never turned up then i don't have a leg to stand on becaus the tracking only says "arrived in China". Bugger...

Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool