General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Close-ish cheap match for NDP/742 Glacier White?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 09:55 AM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Close-ish cheap match for NDP/742 Glacier White?

I'd like to find some paint that's reasonably close to NDP/742 Glacier White, that I can buy off the shelf at a local auto parts store or hardware store (in the US). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's the application: My 96 XJ6 has some severe parking rash on the front bumper corners, down to the plastic. There are also some deep gouges on the rear bumper. The existing paint is not in great shape, so even if I did spend the money on proper NDP-spec touch-up paint, there's no guarantee it'd match.

The goal is to get rid of the black and orange of the primer and raw plastic, so that the entire car is at the same "20-foot" level. There are other finish issues, like patches of failing clear coat, that will have to be dealt with in the long term.

But for now, I'd like to go down to the local Autozone/O'reilly/Napa and just grab a rattle can. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to which whites might be close.

Thanks in advance,
Thos/MA

Old 09-19-2021, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Here in the UK one can but aerosol cans of the right colour on the internet and they are sent by post to you. I would have thought you can do that in the USA too.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Here in the UK one can but aerosol cans of the right colour on the internet and they are sent by post to you. I would have thought you can do that in the USA too.
We can, and I may have to do that. But given the shipping cost for "hazardous materials" like aerosol paint, I thought I'd try to find a locally available alternative.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

ThosMa, look at your local auto parts stores. Not all carry automotive paints, but some do. You can walk into them and giving them your paint code, will mix up a batch that is exact. If you are worried about the paint fade from 20+ years of being in the sun, the shop should even be able to help you with that as they will have a "color gun" that they can put up to the hood and get the exact color as it sits today. From there, they can either give you a quart of that color or for a little more, some shops can put it into a spray can for you (this would be more of a hit and miss thing and would need to call the shop before showing up). You can normally tell the shops that sell automotive paint as you will get the strong paint smell as soon as you walk in the store (atleast that has been my impression). I would say that 1 out of 10 stores will have this feature. so, do some calling around and do not be afraid to ask them where the local auto paint store is that you can buy a quart of paint from. Most stores will atleast tell you where to find the paint if they don't offer that service.