General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Copper/Brass v. Aluminum Replacement Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copper/Brass v. Aluminum Replacement Radiator

The 9 year old plastic OEM radiator failed at the radiator neck on my 1996 XJ12 with 160,000 miles. There are no new OEM radiators in stock, but since it is plastic and the engine evidently stresses the neck with a direct hose connection (little flex) it seems that an upgrade to a copper/brass or aluminum radiator is in order anyway.

My excellent local shop says the weight differential and cooling difference will not be sufficient to justify any additional expense in aluminum over copper/brass. The car already runs at perfect temperature with the large stock radiator size.

So I am interested in finding a custom radiator that will give me the longest life (material choice) and best build quality for a custom built drop in replacement.

1. Will copper/brass or aluminum likely give the longest longetivity?

2. Looking for recommendations for custom build radiator shop that forum readers have actual experience with. 100's on internet - Ron Davidson Radiator and Dillon Radiator look promising for aluminum builds. Any experience with these or others? Locally there is one builder of copper/brass and while the quality will be acceptable, some of their welds are not beautiful and their price will be about the same as an aluminum radiator.

3. In terms of getting quotes, it would be useful if I could find an existing drawing of the radiator since my car has already been towed off to the shop.

The radiator has built in power steering and transmission coolers which are built out of aluminum. If I go copper/brass they would need to be built as well and the likely my hose connections would need to be cut and new connectors fitted with clamps. Will be inspecting vehicle for any exessive movement

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

JJ12
1996 XJ12 160,000 miles (racing green, naturally)

Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

There is the problem of galvanic corrosion. That's why aluminum engined vehicles have alumimum radiators.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Received 10,483 Likes on 6,922 Posts

Copper/brass was "upgraded" to alloy/plastic for weight, efficiency, production costs a long time ago.

The size of the alloy units is smaller than the older copper/brass of the HE V12 units.

I reckon it will be an expensive, stressful exercise, for little gain as to life.

The copper/brass weep from the header plate tinning regularly withing a short use span.

If were my car I would source an OE style radiator, they will be available somewhere I feel sure.

A full alloy would be my second choice, with the copper/brass as a low third.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with Aluminum all the way. Check out griffin and similar companies