General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DSG gearboxes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default DSG gearboxes.

Following my posting on CVT transmissions, the DSG gearboxes as used on Audi/VW don't seem to be any more reliable, and can fail around the 25,000mile mark with "kangaroo" jerks or "bunny-hopping" when the driver tries to set off from traffic lights, or at very low crawling speed in dense traffic jams. Also there are similar problems when the box is hot from a high-speed drive on the motorway. It seems the boxes are very nice when new, but that doesn't last too long. Dealers are saying "nothing wrong with it" when complaints come in.
As with the CVT transmissions, repairs are excruciatingly expensive. The mechatronics unit is a common failure costing around £900, a complete new box costing £5000 to £7000.
To be even-handed, once again it's "come back ZF, all is forgiven".
The real ZF problem after software was fixed is simply the "sealed for life" issue. Change the ATF regularly and the ZF is a good box. Not rocket science, ZF!
Leedsman.
p.s. Knowing what I know now, if I were i/c at ZF, I'd promptly get my engineers to make a mod.kit for the sealed-for-life boxes to use a dipstick and filler to convert back to the old way. The p.r. gain (in the light of CVT and DSG problems) would be useful in the extreme as re. competition from these new types of gearboxes.

Last edited by Leedsman; 10-28-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a very good point!

I know someone with a Jetta TDI with a DSG and they said hill starts were horrible in them. Because the clutch is engaged when you press the accelerator you roll back on hills like a conventional manual because it doesnt have a torque converter. This proved to be a problem especially on the TDI because the torque needed only comes when the turbo is spooled up. The DSG is great for lightening fast gear changes, but most people will never take their cars to a track and wouldnt notice a difference if they did anyways which defeats the point.

A CVT is a brilliant idea, and they are smooth since there are no actual gears, its just belt driven, but when that belt needs replacing its a problem because the whole tranny needs to be taken apart. Having worked at a service shop Ive seen how people neglect their fluid changes and serpentine belt changes, I can only imagine the damage done by neglecting a CVT belt change.

Stick to a conventional automatic or go with a good ol' fashioned manual.

In regards to a sealed transmission I can see the woes. Eventually the fluid will start to break down and lose its protective properties (its basically engine oil on steroids). There are ways of changing the fluid with a fluid exchange machine, by using the lines going to the transmission cooler. BUT by doing that you can never check the level to make sure you have the perfect amount, and there is never a way to top it up if you need to.

Companies are always trying to advance their product, and usually they do a great job, but some things need to stay the way they are.