General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine/transmission light is on

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine/transmission light is on

I have a 2016 F Type and I noticed that the amber transmission/engine light went on . It is solid and not flashing. I can't get an appointment for 2 weeks at my dealer. Does anyone have experience with this and my dealer said I should be able to keep driving it but I am concerned. Thank you for help in this matter.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:53 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Les922
I have a 2016 F Type and I noticed that the amber transmission/engine light went on . It is solid and not flashing. I can't get an appointment for 2 weeks at my dealer. Does anyone have experience with this and my dealer said I should be able to keep driving it but I am concerned. Thank you for help in this matter.
You are right to be concerned.

A constant engine/transmission warning lamp indicates an emissions related issue. Although the vehicle could be driven, it may go into 'limp-home' mode with reduced performance. Depending on where you are driving at the time this could be anything from just inconvenient right up to dangerous.

There are many possible causes for illuminating the warning. It may be as simple as an out-of-range sensor signal or a failing sensor but it may be something which could damage engine or transmission if left unresolved. The only way to troubleshoot is to have the diagnostic codes read which is what the dealer will do.

I used to read a lot from US members about Pep Boys doing diagnostic code reading for free although I haven't seen this mentioned for a while. If they still do, as an alternative to taking the risk of using it with an undiagnosed fault, get the codes read and post them back here for a decode.

Graham

Old 09-02-2021, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
You are right to be concerned.

A constant engine/transmission warning lamp indicates an emissions related issue. Although the vehicle could be driven, it may go into 'limp-home' mode with reduced performance. Depending on where you are driving at the time this could be anything from just inconvenient right up to dangerous.

There are many possible causes for illuminating the warning. It may be as simple as an out-of-range sensor signal or a failing sensor but it may be something which could damage engine or transmission if left unresolved. The only way to troubleshoot is to have the diagnostic codes read which is what the dealer will do.

I used to read a lot from US members about Pep Boys doing diagnostic code reading for free although I haven't seen this mentioned for a while. If they still do, as an alternative to taking the risk of using it with an undiagnosed fault, get the codes read and post them back here for a decode.

Graham
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 05:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Les, like was said, go to your local auto parts store and they will either read the code(s) for you or they will give you the hand held tool and you can read them yourself (different stores have different rules). Write down the code(s) that you get and post them here. Someone like me will be able to give you an idea of what is going on and it may be a simple 5 minute fix that will not even require you to go into the dealership. For example, if you get say a P0101 code (MAF sensor error), a $5 can of MAF sensor cleaner and 10 minutes of time and all is good in most cases. How much work you do on your own car I know is a big question. But, we can give you step by step instructions.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Default Thanks for this info

My expertise is strictly cleaning my car. I appreciate your advise but I think I will wait for the dealer to look. Fortunately I bought an extended warranty.

Old 09-04-2021, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Les, at a minimum, getting the codes read and having us give them a once over will give you an idea of what you are going to be most likely told at the dealership/repair shop. But, your car, your decision.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (09-04-2021)