General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

EPB error

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPB error

Hi all, just joined the forum and am looking forward to participating, I have a 2018 Jaguar F-Pace with the 3.0 engine. Here is my saga, I needed to replace the rear brake pads, and I knew that I needed to put the EPB in service mode, but lacking a computer, I just left the car on and turned the brakes off. That allowed me to remove the brake assembly, but while I was cleaning things, something happened. I heard the EPBH motor, and it pushed the caliper all the way out. I reviewed some videos on rebuilding these calipers, and discovered that the EPB works off a screw in the Caliper. So I was able to get the caliper threaded, and screwed it all the way down, then pressed the rest of the way with a caliper tool. This allowed be to install the new brake pads and install the assembly. The other side I did the same way, but was smart enough to unplug the EPB module before the car turned off. All brake pads installed, but, I can't clear the EPB calibration error. The first time, I drove it around a bit and that did not clear it, but made the rear brake assembly smell a bit hot. Next, I found the reset procedure and ran it a few times, at first, the error clears and I can drive it around, but when I put it in park, the error returns. I have bled the brakes a few times and done the reset procedure, but nothing changes. I am now a little worried I messed up the caliper of the EPB, anything else I can try? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-01-2024, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default additional details and pictured

I discovered, that contrary to a lot of advice I read, it is not possible to recover from the caliper coming all the way out, or, I simply messed it up when pushing this back in. Here are some pictures of the parts, note the cup with about 30 small ball bearings and springs which I think all come from the middle piston for the EPB (on the right). After re-assembly and constant errors for the ECB, I pushed the piston out again and discovered I needed a new caliper assembly.