General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

F Type SVR strut replacement - can't get rear r control arm mounting bolt to line up

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Type SVR strut replacement - can't get rear r control arm mounting bolt to line up

Hello! long time lurker, Just picked up my MY2017 F type SVR (NA) about a year ago, I'm attempting a DIY H&R lowering spring install. I manged to complete the fronts successfully and moved onto the back. Removal of the strut and putting the new spring on was easy, I'm having troubles with reinstalling it, however.

At first I was unable to align the lower strut mounting hole with the lower control arm, to fix this I removed the bolt holding the lower control arm to the wheel/hub assembly. it dropped down and I was able to get the strut to mount to the lower control arm.

The issue is now I can't get the wheel/hub assembly to mate with the lower control arm. The hub assembly is too far towards the rear by about 3" and no matter how much I struggle it doesn't want to budge towards the front. I've tried compressing the strut/lower control arm upwards with a jack, and that helped my cause by about an inch but still too far off.

It looks like my only option is to remove the rear toe bar and hope it allows me to rotate the hub assembly and worry about attaching that bar again later. to do that I'll need to remove the parking brake as the toe bar mounting bolt can't clear it.

I'm asking for general advice or even better, documentation! I was able to find the Jag suspension Document here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wgv3e86ychlb8rb/AACtPxn0vxcSFGls1mxT2LM3a/Suspension.pdf?dl=0 but unfortunately it's missing the rear suspension portion.

Thanks!

Old 08-19-2022, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix was to disengage parking brake by putting brakes into service mode. This allowed the hub to rotate and line the bolt up, incase anyone is googling!

Old 08-20-2022, 03:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by meowo
Hello! long time lurker .....
Originally Posted by bluesvr
Fix was to .....
Welcome to the forums meowo and bluesvr,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham