General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ford and Tata (Warranty ?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford and Tata (Warranty ?)

Iam new to the forum and still shopping for an XK8/R. I had heard Ford was selling Jaguar and din't think much about it,but just read on motorauthority.com that Ford and Tata have reached agreement and will make an announcement Mar5 or 6. New to this market, I've never heard of Tata. I noticed today that a couple of XK's I've been considering had price drops. Questions 1) How do Jaguar owners think this sale will affect Jaguar values? and 2) since I am shopping for a car with a warranty - ("Select" or "GE") does anyone have any insight on how the "Select" warranty will be affected, if at all? 3) Does anyone have experience with a GE 5-star warranty ?

Thanks
luvmyk9

Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Ford and Tata (Warranty ?)

The warranty will not be affected by any sale of the company. The buyer, in this case Tata, would inherit all costs associated including warranty.

The values will not plummet due to Tata. If anything the values will stop dropping as Tata is a profitable corporation unlike Ford.

GE warranty will not be like Select. They may cover the same things as Select, however, consider this. If you bring vehicle to Jag dealer, you will get it looked at and if covered repaired right away. With other warranty you would have to wait for the claim to be called in, then for the extended warranty co. to send an adjuster. If adjuster doesnt agree with techs diagnosis, the ext warr co. will deny claim. Also, lets say you needed engine replaced. Under select, we would get yo ua new engine from Jaguar, whereas the ext warr co. may want to issue you a used engine from a junk yard. They will go cheapest route, not necessarily the best route. I always feel select is the best ext. warr co. for a used Jaguar.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read on-line somewhere recentlythat Tata may turn around and dump Jaguar immediately after aquisition because they only want to possess Land Rover...

Old 02-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

I doubt that seriously. I am sure there is some kind of agreement in the contract to prevent that for a while at least.