General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front Windshield Washer Stopped Working After Key Reprogramming - BCM Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Windshield Washer Stopped Working After Key Reprogramming - BCM Replacement?

Hello Jaguar Enthusiasts,

I'm facing a perplexing issue with my 2012 Jaguar XF 2.2d and am in need of some advice or insights from this knowledgeable community.

Recently, I had to (1) disconnect my battery for a cable fix, which subsequently required me to (2) reprogram the keys. The dealer did warn me that some electronic components might act up post this procedure. True enough, I've run into a problem: (3) my front windshield washer has stopped working.

I approached the dealer for a solution, and they've informed me that there's no way to simply re-code or reset this particular issue. Their recommendation is to replace the front Body Control Module (BCM), which is quoted at EUR 360 + 100 EUR / hour to replace & reprogram it. Before I proceed with this costly solution, I wanted to reach out to this forum to see if anyone has experienced something similar or could offer alternative solutions.

bcm

Here are the key points:
  • The issue arose right after the battery disconnection and key reprogramming.
  • The dealer suggests a full BCM replacement, but I'm wondering if there's a more cost-effective approach.
  • Has anyone successfully resolved similar issues through re-coding or other methods?
  • Are there any common troubleshooting steps I might have overlooked?
Any guidance, tips, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated. I love my Jaguar XF and hope to resolve this with your collective wisdom!

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Vadim

Old 01-03-2024, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,343 Likes on 1,844 Posts

No codes?
If you can't DIY the repair I am afraid your only choice is the dealer?

Are you familiar with SDD? This will be required to do the level of work they are recommending.
At least the dealer is willing to work on your older Jaguar! In the US they are turning people away if the car is 10 or more years old.

The following users liked this post:
vadim88 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't got access to SDD myself, and I don't know any local services who would have much experience with Jaguar SDD.
Dealer is pretty much the only one who knows SDD, but they say it's impossible to reprogram BCM and I need to buy a new module to fix this...

No faults on the panel - just washer not working. Wiper is moving, no fluid.

Stupid really.

Old 01-03-2024, 05:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Replacing the BCM would be my LAST action in troubleshooting this issue and definitely not the FIRST.

I would check for relevant codes with SDD but understand this is not available to you. However, if you intend to work on the vehicle yourself for anything more than basic servicing, obtaining SDD is going to be essential.

Have you checked the washer pump works by powering it directly? Also have you checked the push button on the wiper stalk is functional with a multimeter? With Jaguar problems, always start by eliminating the low cost possibilities before considering the expensive ones.

Graham

Old 01-05-2024, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

dealer is 100% right on the diag. facelift XFs lose cjbs like they're going out of style, replacing a battery on those is like stepping on a landmine. you can revirginize them or recover them on the bench, but it will never be the same as a brand new module. they also have issues with the washer pumps wicking into the cjb connector

360 euros for a new part is an incredible deal. we were paying up to 2 grand when they did the big covid price hike

Last edited by xalty; 01-05-2024 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,343 Likes on 1,844 Posts

As Xalty posted they do have a weird problem of the washer pump leaking back into the wire harness. This fluid then travels up the wire and into the junction box inside the wire insulation. Gets pretty bad from the pictures I have seen. Now the Jaguar solution is very simple too. The just cut the wire and put a connector in-line. Then there is no continuous path for the washer fluid to travel up the insulation.
See attached TSB showing the Jaguar fix.

There are many threads documenting this and they will be worth a look for your situation. Be aware there are different variations of this too.
Washer Pump Wire Problem
Fixing the Washer Pump Problem

Attached Files
Old 01-11-2024, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 311 Posts

In Connecticut they love working on older jags, needs to be programed by SDD, or get a icarsoft v3 like I show in my videos