General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Garage Door Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 07:15 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Door Repair

Wasn't sure where to put this, so putting in general. I need some advice on how to fix my garage door. Yesterday, the big spring above the door broke. I can still get the door open if I lift while my wife pushes the button, but that door is dang heavy. click here Is that something I can fix myself, just replace the spring? If so, where do I get it, and how do I make sure I get the right one. Do any of the Home Improvement stores have a repair service? Do I have to replace the whole lift mechanism?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but haven't been able to get much info on my own. Stopped at local home store, but Garage guy had the day off.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:25 AM
Received 142 Likes on 83 Posts

Disconnect the electric opener by pulling the red handle; you are going to burn-out the lift motor if you continue to open the door with the broken spring.
You can replace that big spring yourself, but turning that spring is not easy and takes a fair amount of strength to do so. Then there is getting the spring. Most local shops will not sell you one; you can get one online, but then it takes a week plus to get it. Then there is knowing just how many turns the new spring needs and making the rods/handles to turn the spring.

Best to just call a garage door service to come-out to replace the spring. Takes less than an hour

The following 3 users liked this post by Lannyl81:
89 Jacobra (04-05-2022), guy (04-06-2022), RudyF6 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

It can be very dangerous to attempt to replace garage door springs if you do not know what you are doing. There are many garage door service companies that will do this job for you, sometimes on the same day you call. Google "garage door service companies" along with your city and state and you should have quite a few places to call for help....

The following users liked this post:
guy (04-06-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

As mentioned, it is very dangerous to wind up that spring. Getting the correct spring is also tricky. Depends on the size and weight of the door. Most doors have two springs, so if one goes out, should also replace the other one. The cost to have this done is not exorbitant- maybe $100-200 max. Safety issues alone make this a good deal.

89 Jacobra (04-05-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 02:08 PM
Received 142 Likes on 83 Posts

I knew I should not have replied to this question.....the garage door spring broke today....about two hours after I posted......aaarrrggghhhh!!!
I could not even budge the door. Not going to use the opener and try assisting....I will just bend the door panel that I lift on.
And no I am not replacing the spring myself. Cost is $290....since it is a Saturday and I have a one spring double door.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 984 Posts

There should be a handle / rope hanging down from the opener chain . Pull the handle and the door will disconnect from the opener and be easy to open, even if it’s a double wire door with one of the two assist springs broken.

Z

Last edited by zray; 04-02-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Paulnelson, I'm not trying to stir things up, just not so sure why so many folks warned you how hard it is to change the spring yourself. Now everyone who said that is knowledgeable and gets my respect, but I've lost count of how many times I've replaced my spring and I don't recall any difficulty. They are sold at home depot/ Loews. I think someone above indicated difficulty obtaining one?

Maybe there are different types of doors I've never encountered. Unhook the opener as described. Open the door, it'll be heavy without spring assist. Door open all the way, braced for safety if needed. Eyeball the 2 connection points. Maybe decide how hard it'd be to attach a new spring before you give up. One thing: mandatory you must install a safety wire inside the new spring. I imagine you can reuse the old one, take a look see.

Good luck. John

Old 04-05-2022, 09:37 AM
Received 174 Likes on 96 Posts

Recognize that there are two types of springs. One that is a compression spring, attached with chains at both ends. Usually for doors that are solid, and open as one piece. Then there are coil spings, that are wound up to provide the power to lift a door. These are seen typically on doors that are sectional, and roll up. While this type of spring can be changed, and I have done it, it requires winding the new spring up using long rods to tightly wind the coil. Should there be a slip any time during the winding process, the coil can unwind rapidly, sending those rods flying- the danger. The diameter, length and number of coils is determined by the weight of the door.

Johnken (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,809 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Thanks Darbysan, I was referring to the coil springs.
Every door I've worked on was sectional.
John

Old 04-05-2022, 10:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,846 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by paulnelson
Wasn't sure where to put this, so putting in general. I need some advice on how to fix my garage door. .....
Paul,

I've moved your question from to X100 to General Tech Help forum.

Graham

Old 04-06-2022, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,146 Likes on 803 Posts

Having installed roll up doors a few times (not a lot) I recall it being a job to be careful about. Not hard, not Overly dangerous If You Are Careful. You can get the springs at some stores like Lowe's or Menards. Take your pieces with you to match them up. I agree with the replace them both theory since you'll have it apart anyway. I usually have used "old school" jack handles the release and tighten the springs. Again, be careful and take your time. 11-1/2 turns comes to mind......... good luck!

Old 06-12-2024, 05:59 AM

That heavy door situation sounds like a real pain! Replacing a garage door spring can be a bit tricky, especially if you're not familiar with it. While it's possible to do it yourself, safety should always come first. Those springs pack quite a punch when they break!

Old 06-30-2024, 02:03 PM

If you're not confident in tackling it solo, I'd recommend reaching out to a professional garage door repair service. They've got the expertise and the right tools to handle it safely. I did a quick search and found this link to a garage door repair service in Portland: https://portlanddoorsandlocksguy.com/. Might be worth giving them a call.