General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just added a kingston 128mb pc66 memory and boots ok so that will speed it up. I think the hard drive will need reinstall of the software as it boots into windows says its looking for a driver and then says ITS SAFE TO SWITCH OFF YOUR COMPUTER. This to me just looks like a damaged windows file and also the hard drive is 20Gb and this was much larger than i think they had when new. The next stage is to repair my ATX power supply so i can keep the ptu powered up as the batteries are not good and think i will try to find some replacement cells. The processor board was removed to see the spec and it says on the cpu 266Mhz so was that a updated cpu as i read they were 166Mhz ? How easy is it to reinstall all software and what discs did the Ford system have as i think i have a RED disc and a Black disc and lots of UPDATE discs . Thanks for all your help .

Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WDS B40 Disk

I have an A6, B39, C5-1 and 2, B42, B43 disks. The question is do I need the B40 disk to further update? I installed software with A6 and B39 so far. You Jag guys rock on these WDS or Genrad 3500 systems.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 8,085 Likes on 4,876 Posts

The order to load the latest software for Ford is...

A6 (RED)(GHOST)
B43 (BLUE)
C5-1 (BLACK)
C5-2 (BLACK)

You now have the last US software release for WDS.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
abonano (09-01-2014)
Old 03-12-2012, 03:43 PM

I have been working on my power supply and fiited a atx unit from a computer . The docking station all powered up but the PTU was completly dead with no leds on. I know the PTU powers up ( apart from wingows 98 problems) from a charged internal battery or via the obdII cable to a ford car but Dead from the DOck power. This was then traced to the fact that the power solve ATX has a BATTERY CHARGE 16 Volt output and the computer version is only 12 Volt. I looked into converting the power supply to give 16 volts but think this is not possible and started work on the power solve power supply fault. I think the power solve psu went dead while the last owner had this and he must have flicked the 110volt switch with 230v input. This must have made a loud BANG ! followed by a cloud of smoke as print blown and transistors short inc diodes. I would not try a repair in this state but can not find a new psu the same spec as this. I used the pc power supply for spares and replaced all the parts were the same and was still dead untill i found the cooling fan was also open circuit. I replaced the fan and noy when the power is conected it starts for a second or so and then shuts down to standby. I have now ordered the correct transitors and a op amp ic and think this will bring the power supply back to life . This has taken a few hours work to get this far but i think it is worth it to be able to use one power supply in the dock and still be able to power and charge the dock.

I will update when the other parts come in.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Keep us in the 'loop'. I ended up buying a docking station on eBay because the one I had would not allow the PTU to boot when docked. I could boot with the batteries or the A-204 attached but the docking station was faulty and 'locked-up' during boot.

bob gauff

Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi guys - i still have 2 dead WDS's (after getting the one working out of the 3) but im in the process of moving house so they are on the back burner..... I will take some pic 4 u all to see as to how to get them apart etc when i get chance to again.........

mark

Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM

In this thread, Steve11
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...station-41970/
on 09-11-2010, Steve11 posted this:
"I had a docking station with a bad power supply. The power transistors in one of the channels have a tendancy to fry. The PS was originally produced by a company in the UK called Power Solve. The PS is a GR250-ATX. I contacted them for a replacement, but they couldn't help.
I found a suitable ATX replacement with more wattage (250W to 300W), which is a good thing. The replacement ATX has one P8 connector with reversed polarity which is easy to convert. The twenty pin mother board connector is fully populated on the new PS and the original only uses 16 pin, but it too is plug/play. The only other connectors used are two simple +12v GND +5V power supplies to the drives and they are identical. The only feature lost on the new PS is the aux. 110VAC accessory plug.
So, if the PS is bad, I've been down that road already and have a replacement source.
BTW - I both need some WDS stuff and have some accessories for sale or trade. I need some Jaguar SW, I have some extra cables such as the OBD cable. "

Steve, is it possible I can ask if you can provide more detail of how you replaced your power supply? I have an ATX that looks to be a good match for replacing the powere supply but the color coding on the replacement power supply is diffrent from the originalWDS powere supply. Any suggestions?
Greatly apreciate any wisdom you can offer.
Tony-

Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

It is sometime ago, but this is what I remember. I had also a power failure. I used an old ATX power supply, but noticed that the connector should be placed the other way arround (so not how it should fit). Only had to use some force to push the connecter in, and that worked.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM

I think I'll need to post some pice because from what you are describing, I may have a slightly diffrent system. I'll get back to yall in a bit.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by avos
It is sometime ago, but this is what I remember. I had also a power failure. I used an old ATX power supply, but noticed that the connector should be placed the other way arround (so not how it should fit). Only had to use some force to push the connecter in, and that worked.
A standard ATX power supply will work to enable the docking station functions BUT the docking station will NOT be able to charge the PTU battery pack. This is because the power supply the system was built with is a modded ATX psu as it does not have a 3,3 Volt output and in place of the 3.3 volt output it has a battery charge output of +16 Volts @6.5 Amps. No other ATX power supply has this as far as i know and that is why i hope to repair my psu. When you fit the ATX orange and black wired plug to the docking pcb you are supplying +3.3V in stead of +16v so no battery charge !. I am working on my XJS car so no time to work on the psu repair for a while but now have had the power supply working when i reduce the mains voltage to approx 170volts AC . If i go a little higher it trips off and goes dead. I was looking for a circuit but the only person i found that has a circuit will not sell me a copy but will sell me a repaired psu for £150 . I would not pay that as i know when i get my psu working it will be a better job as i have replaced all faulty parts . I will update you when i spend some more time on this.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Hi all, Great thread! Thanks for all of the information. I recently purchased a WDS on Craigslist for $180, but the battery didn't hold a charge, so I ended up buying a new, battery assy w/ PCB. All seems to be working ok now.

I read that some of you were able to upgrade the RAM to improve performance, so I also tried to install a 128MB card; but the system won't boot with the add-in memory card installed. The green power LED comes on, on the front of the PTU, but the screen is blank. If I remove the memory card, it boots normally. Have any of you seen this problem? Defective or wrong memory? I included a picture of the card and another showing it installed. Any thoughts?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM

I installed a 128MB/PC66 RAM and it is faster.

I would guess that the RAM 'stick' is defective.

Don't discard the battery pack if you still have it as it could be 'rebuilt' if the internal circuit board is still functional.

bob gauff

Old 06-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I installed a 128MB/PC66 RAM and it is faster.

I would guess that the RAM 'stick' is defective.

Don't discard the battery pack if you still have it as it could be 'rebuilt' if the internal circuit board is still functional.

bob gauff
Hello!
I installed a 256MB (and tested 128MB KINGSTON KTC2428/123) and I was with the same problem.... I removed it, then reinstalled the RAM, and all is working! Maybe? RAM need to be moved a litle, you must heard a click when full pressed.
Regards
Claude
PS: I see this forum is out of date now, but will try.......
I have a WDS Ford USA but disk is damaged (Have few other empty including a SDD). I have few Jaguars (2 coming from San Antonio TX) and Daimler and I am looking for All CD for Jaguar. No problem to pay for them. I am in the South France, but I have an address in Houston TX 77043 if this is better. Or I could load Disk Img., ISO etc. wich will be better.
Please let me know if you can help me in some ways.
Sincerly,
Claude

Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by xjrguy
The WDS Ghost Disc is what restores the PTU's Win98 operating system in preparation for the WDS software installation. Once the ghosting is done the screen shows an image instructing you to put the WDS Disc in the drive.

The final WDS CD version was CD43, which was a single disc. There was an issue with it's installation that ultimately required you to have CD42 [a 2 disc set] on hand as well. After a re-ghost, you are to install CD42 disc A, then when it asks for disc B, you install CD 43 instead. I have virtually every Jaguar WDS disc archived, if you care to, send me a PM or email with your email or contact info and I'll try to make copies available to you for a small fee. [gee, I hope I didn't just break a rule here]

I will try and see if I have anything on the error codes stuck somewhere. Chances are though, that before I find it our friend Bob Gauff will be along and fill us in. He's the guy to get with regarding hardware issues with WDS. He seems to have come up with several ideas/workarounds, etc.

Cheers,
------------
Hello!
I see this forum is out of date now, but will try.......
I have a WDS Ford USA but disk is damaged (Have few other empty including a SDD). I have few Jaguars (2 coming from San Antonio TX) and Daimler and I am looking for All CD for Jaguar. No problem to pay for them. I am in the South France, but I have an address in Houston TX 77043 if this is better. Or I could load Disk Img., ISO etc. wich will be better.
Sincerly,
Claude

Old 06-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by restorsc
------------
Hello!
I see this forum is out of date now, but will try.......
Sincerly,
Claude

Hi Claude,

I'm on vacation this week, so I'm not very active. Click on "xjrguy" at the top left of this post, and send me an email. Include a valid email address for me to contact you and I'll see what I can do to fix you up. We can probably do it all online.

Cheers,

Old 06-08-2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by restorsc
Hello!
I installed a 256MB (and tested 128MB KINGSTON KTC2428/123) and I was with the same problem.... I removed it, then reinstalled the RAM, and all is working! Maybe? RAM need to be moved a litle, you must heard a click when full pressed.
Regards
Claude
Claude, Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried re-installing a few times ensuring it's fully seated w/ the notch fully into the alignment pin. I sent the stick back to the eBay seller. He tested it and said it was PC100 - not PC66. He sent me another stick and I'm having the same issue. Not sure if I got another PC100. Has anyone confirmed that PC100 will produce the issue I'm having of it not booting, and the green power LED on?

Old 06-09-2012, 03:58 AM

when i tested a 128mb pc100 in my wds it would not boot , no display or bios shown just a green led lit. I orderd two pc66 128mb modules and both work fine in both of my wds units and can only think that is the problem. I used KINGSTON modules as i have found they work with most computers with out problems. I just need to repair my power supply module next and i can then reload my software as both units have windows faults and i expext faulty battery packs .

Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 AM

I ordered a Kingston 128MB PC66 144 Pin SODIMM stick from another ebay seller - it works now! Thanks for sharing your experience. It looks like the person I got the original sticks from was selling PC100 labeled as PC66.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by wh_4741
Claude, Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried re-installing a few times ensuring it's fully seated w/ the notch fully into the alignment pin. I sent the stick back to the eBay seller. He tested it and said it was PC100 - not PC66. He sent me another stick and I'm having the same issue. Not sure if I got another PC100. Has anyone confirmed that PC100 will produce the issue I'm having of it not booting, and the green power LED on?
HELLO!
MINE IS: 256MB SDRAM MEMORY RAM PC66 10NS SODIMM 144-PIN 66MHZ Item number: 350479544700 ON EBAY.COM. and this work fine. When booting the DOS calculate the 32Mb+256Mb and then show OK.
Hope this help!
About other tread for the ATX power I used an HP DV1000 charger (with rotary button set to 16V and connected to the 6 orange pins of the 6 pins connector and my PTU charge!
Regards

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM

I wondered if the 256MB would be too much and not boot so I bought the 128MB and added it to the 32MB on the board for 160MB. I might try this for max RAM.

Thanks!!!!!!

bob gauff

Quick Reply: Genrad GDS3500 WDS Docking Station