General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Guidance Needed! Key Fob Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019 | 07:52 PM
|
Question Guidance Needed! Key Fob Question

Hello All,

I am in a predicament with my XF regarding the key. I have lost the key fob due to theft. I do not know why someone would steal a key fob other than to be mean but that is the case for me. I still retail the key blade as I kept it separate in my wallet but as you know that will only allow me to manually lock the vehicle and nothing else.

I need to get back on the road quickly and as cheap as possible. This is my only vehicle and must get to work. I am missing today because of not having the digital part of the car's key. If anyone has any information for me, I would be very appreciative.

As you know, to replace the key is going to be costly. I am just trying to get it moving, aesthetics do not matter. In other words, if I could tote around a large weight to save some money I would do it. With that being said, I was wondering about any other ways besides contacting Jaguar directly to get the car moving. For instance, if I am going to pay x amount of money on a factory key, what if I was to spend the same on a Viper remote start with a bypass switch?. I am totally clueless when it comes to anything to do with cars, more over Jaguars. I apologize for being foolish on this subject and for saying/asking anything that doesn't make logical sense to you. ( I have been ridiculed already on this board for asking for help.)

What are my options?
If I am going to spend $700's, why not opt for something such remote start if possible (without having the key to copy or clone of course).
If not that any other options to maybe bring the cost down. Any private companies? What would the process consist of, turn around time et cetera? Can I used a different device that could transmit RFID or whatever technology the vehicle needs? What will the cost be?

If anyone could offer me some insight I would be very thankful. I just need to get to work and you would be doing me a great service by helping with any info.

Thank you very much and I apologize for rambling