General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Has Anyone Dived Deep into Denso Sat-Nav Module?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Has Anyone Dived Deep into Denso Sat-Nav Module?

I'm talkin' really squelchy pcb level experience, because considerable swapping of players and disks, gives me a collection of repaired Jaguars and several dud control modules after too-common error messages of “not a maps disk” . . . which, of course, the disks are!

Let me start by displaying my puny knowledge and dominant ignorance . . .
  • there are only 3 devices in this Sat-Nav system and they are GPS aerial (input), console screen (output), and Navigation Control Module, which includes the DVD disk player;
  • it is only the latter that has the “smarts” so, with entire working replacements costing just AUD150 (about GBP80 o USD100), commercial repair is uneconomic . . . I am happy to tinker, hoping to release any repaired units for other Jag owners, as the failure rate suggests a continuing need;
  • my initial working theory, given failures after 10 to 20 years of faultless service, are more likely to be caused by failure of passive electronics (eg heat) or mechanical (friction, wear, etc) . . . connector pins and sockets are not bent and all are free of corrosion;
  • internal inspection seems to confirm this . . . electrolytics are hi-temp caps and show no signs of leakage, the multi-layer pcb looks pristine, with hundreds of SMD components and 20 to 40 pin micro-chips of minute proportions (at least one looks a DAC link);
  • I have cleaned laser lenses carefully with cotton-bud doused in isopropyl alcohol, and also sprayed electrolube onto the pickup arm drive . . . but all to no avail;
  • with the internals, including laser, well shielded and working mechanisms quiet compared to lounge room or pc drives, it is difficult to assess if disks are spinning and reading head is moving as intended;
  • without wiring schematic at a pcb level, and many of the SMD components being bare of ID numbering, it seems prudent to ask before undertaking further internal surgery . . . can you help?

I am posting here rather than in the X-Type, S-Type and XJ forums of the '99 to '09 era, because this Denso unit is common to all these models.

In this front view with top removed, A is the disk slot while B is the switch that lies behind the eject button in the face-plate, and X is the screw hole that fixes the top cover but is hidden until the front face-plate is removed, as seen here.

In this view of the back of case, C are the GPS input and local network ports, while D is unused by Jaguar, the E ports are served by multi-part connectors, and the 3 X screw points fix the top cover which has been removed.

The top cover with its all-important part numbers seen at F . . . this failed unit having Jaguar suffixes ending AE and 8342 being re[laced by a unit with suffixes AG and 8345 . . . which connected, promptly, then updated its firmware from disk, and works perfectly

This view inside this failed unit, shows what I believe to be power supply area at P, with a postage stamp size micro-controller (MCU) daughter board at M and the 40pin chip being the small black object about 6 - 8mm square and only 1mm thick above the M character. Well hidden at H, is the laser + reader head that is propelled across the tracks of the spinning in seeking, reading and forwarding the required digital data. It is this latter mechanical process that I would like to verify . . . because no spinning and/or no head seeking equates to no data.

Any pointers?

Cheers,

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 06-18-2024 at 09:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-2024, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,365 Likes on 1,863 Posts

No pointers but a great and detailed post!
I learned a good bit from the above.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:26 AM
Received 333 Likes on 200 Posts

Not sure any of this helps but we rec. this device from JLR NA but have not had any time to dedicate toward understanding it. It functions and came complete with two NOS sat. screens for S type. The Denso manual is thick but the technical portion is simply the wire diagram from the S Type WSM.

Old 06-27-2024, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks to both of you. Many other priorities have seen no further action as yet.

That manual looks interesting. Any chance of a bulk scan that you could PM or post as attachment.
The S-Type wiring diagram would be of great interest, especially as I suspect identical implementation on the XJ and X-Type of same era.
Never know what other gems may be buried in such a manual.

As an indicator of scale, I alone have collected several failed units (such as pictured previously) and I am aware of many more. I have also collected many hundreds of threads and posts here on SatNav issues on these cars that point directly to unreliability and/or failures in these Denso player units. By comparison, there appear to be no new replacements and known-to-be-working used units are proving difficult to source, even internationally, despite offering what may be only a temporary reprieve.

Obviously, the "why bother" option could be to discard the entire sub-system in favour of a new head unit that could bring new features without mechanical reliance on reading disks, but this opens up a rats' nest of wiring issues involving the entire telematics area involving existing touch screen and steering wheel controls.

My background in component level technology wants to solve this challenge although I remain convinced of mechanical rather than electronic failures. My current suspicion is that Denso may have grafted a generic DVD disk reader (mechanical) onto their purpose-designed PCB (electronic) platform. If so, and I can identify that reader, it may open a low cost path to brand new replacement.

Cheers,

Old 06-28-2024, 06:32 AM
Received 333 Likes on 200 Posts

Will ask one of the volunteers to scan it but it may be a bit before they can get to it.