General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
View Poll Results: Hazzard warning light's
Hazzard warning light's
0%
Parking sensor's
0%
Heated seats
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hazzard warning light's, Heated seats and reverse sensors faulty.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 07:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazzard warning light's, Heated seats and reverse sensors faulty.

Could anyone suggest on how One goes about fixing the said issues.
Thinking it could be some fuses that may be at fault.
The car it's self only has 150.000kms on the clock and was previously owned by a lady to whom only drove it until she decided to hand in her licence at the grand age of 92.its been in a garage for the last 6 months until I purchased from her in Melbourne and drove it back to Queensland without any issues.
One noticed the issues when getting the Queensland roadworthy certificate.
Could anyone recommend which fuses I should check and a diagram as too there whereabouts please.
Yours hopefully
New member, Ashley Bywater.
I

Old 06-17-2024, 10:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,883 Likes on 3,191 Posts

Ashley, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here and tons of people willing to help. But ,we ask something from you. Please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and your car. This will help us get to know you and you get to know us. This will allow you to meet those that make this place what it is.

On that note, I would love to help, but not knowing what year and model vehicle I am talking about, I am pretty much left in the dark as to how to help you. I have to assume you are even talking about a jaguar. Please let us know what you have and then we can give more specifics. It may even be helpful to include the build date (written in the driver's door jam) as some models underwent mid year changes and that can affect what the result is going to be. Send us this back and there will be people like me that will be willing to help.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Ashley Bywater (06-17-2024), cat_as_trophy (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazzard warning light's, heated seats and reverse sensors faulty.

Good morning everyone, I'm New Here so please bear with me.
My car is a 2005, 6 cylinder engine Jaguar X type sedan AWD.

Old 06-18-2024, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,440 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome Ashley,

Picking up on Chris' [Thermo] kind advice, can I now suggest you do 2 further things . . .
  • dive into <User Control Panel> under your name up top, then <edit signature>, putting all those details of year, model, engine type/capacity etc as you see at the foot of mine and others . . . this avoids you needing to repeat it each time you post;
  • since yours is a late series X-Type, go to that model specific forum and start grabbing resources from the Sticky threads like manuals, wiring diagrams etc which will help you identify components and better understand the help we offer;
As an example, find your VIN and record it, then decode it. There are 2 different engine types with 4 different capacities for 2005, not all are AWD,and the fitted features vary also.

My final advice is this . . . .post a new thread in the X-Type forum, perhaps in the form "Please help with A and B and C failures". This gives us an overall understanding, but then focus on solving one at a time (unless caused buy a common fuse failure or circuit wiring problem).

Hope this helps you. So, dive in and let's get started.
Cheers,

Old 06-18-2024, 10:01 AM
Veteran member

Ashley, being a former X-TYpe owner, I think I can help you here. First step is to look at the reversing system of the car. With the help of a friend, start the car and put it in Reverse. Do the back up lights come on? If no, then we know your problem is not the back up assist, but something else. If the back up lights came on, put you ear next to each of the sensors. You should hear a high pitch chirp/squeal. Is there one that is not? If this is the case, then that sensor is bad and it needs to be replaced. If none of them are chirping, then your problem is further up stream in either the main control box or the main box is not seeing the back up power for the back up lights.

I will need to look at some diagrams to look into the other 2 problems. BUt, I can do that in a few hours.

Old 06-18-2024, 03:23 PM
Veteran member

Ashley, as for your hazards not working. You do not mention any of your other lights not working, so, this tells me that your problem can only be but 1 of 3 things. Those would be: 1) bad hazard switch, 2) a very specific fault inside the generic electronics module (GEM)., or 3) the ground wire to the hazzard switch has either come undone or been damaged. To figure this out, you simply need to get to the back of the hazard switch. First check is to jumper between pins 4 (black wire with an orange stripe) and 5 (black wire) on the back of the hazard switch. If the hazards come on, bad switch. If they did not come on, then jumper between Pin 4 and ground (any metal part inside the dash). If they come on now, then we have a problem with the ground wire between Pin 5 and the chassis (someone been working on the car recently?). If the hazards have not come on by this point, then odds are, you are looking at a bad GEM module.

Now, for the heated seats. Lets first start with the obvious which is fuse F7 in the passenger area fuse box. If bad, replace. If in doubt, replace. Next, check fuse F9 in the passenger area fuse box. Again, if bad, replace. In doubt, replace. the final thing that could take out both heated seats is the common wire for the switches on the dash. If you push a button, does the button light up with how hot it is going to make the seat? If no, then remove the trim holding the seat heater buttons in place and if you look at the back of the switches, you should see a black wire coming off of the switch. Follow it to where it touches the metal part of the car. There should be 2 black wires from the switch area (1 for the driver's seat, 1 for the passenger seat) going to the ground point. If the point looks rusted, then remove the wires, use a wire brush to make everything silvery again.

Of note, the ground point by the heated seat switches, can also explain 2 of the 3 issues. But, no one problem I see explains all 3.