General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

headliner sag advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headliner sag advice

Jaguar headliners suck - at least in my experience. I battled this on both of my jags. Here are some options:
--1) pay for a professional to replace it -- I can't even imagine what they would charge - more than I would want to spend.
--2)buy a "headliner" at either Pepboys or a fabric store (Joanne's). The problem with this solution is that they only come in 3-4 colors, and none of these colors come close to those found in jaguar interiors. In addition, they are way too expensive for just a piece of crappy fabric stuch to foam. You'll end up paying at least $60 for the material, the color won't match, and I have no idea how you would manage to get the foam to stick permanently to the headboard. Plus, the fabric on these "headliners" isn't even worthy of a Honda Civic - especially not appropriate in a jag. I haven't tried this one and don't plan to.
--3)strip the old one off (fabric glue and foam) down to the bare headboard and replace it with new fabric - just some regular, nice fabric, glued directly to the headboard. I did this option for my 1986 sovereign, and it worked great; however, I should point out that this car did not have the thick foam headliner that more modern cars come with - instead, it had a thin layer of spongy material that was between the fabric and the headboard. I scraped this off, bought some fabric (very similar color) and cut it to size based on the old headliner that was removed. I then carefully glued it on with 'headliner adhesive', which can be found at any auto parts store. You'll have to remove all of the trim, the rearview mirror, the visors, etc. It will take time an patience, but the end result is quite nice. The headliner adhesive does what it's supposed to do - it hasn't sagged even an inch in two years. I doubt anyone could tell that it's not the stock headliner. To get it to stick, you really must strip off all of the foam. It would be nice if new fabric would stick to the original foam, but it won't. If you don't want to strip off all of your foam, then read on for a cheaper, easier fix.
--4)this one might sound a bit tacky (I had to slip in the pun), but it works better than you might think if done properly. In my 96' Vanden Plas, I basically just tacked it up with some finesse. Buy some 'decorative nails' at a fabric store - they are about 1/2 inch long (actually 7/16"), with a wide,round head (about 1/3 inch head) - the head is not completely flat, sort of shaped like a plate. Then buy a "Permatex Fabric Repair Kit" - I think I bought this at an Auto parts store, but I can't remember. The fabric repair kit allows you to color mix tiny fabric particles to achieve any color you desire. If you work at it long enough, you can definitely match your interior (these are also great for repairing cigarette burns). Take the 'air dry adhesive' that comes with the kit, and spread it all over the head of the decorative nails. Then spread the color-matched fabric particles on the glue on the nail head. What you end up with is a little tack with a head that matches your headliner. Make a bunch of these, and then start tacking them into the headliner, sticking them right into the foam. You can get away with just using a few (probably 6-10) stuch at critical pressure points (use finger to find these points). When completed, there is no sag, and the fabric color-matched nail heads almost (and I repeat almost) look like they were meant to be there. They certainly don't stand out if the fabric particles were properly color matched. It might look stupid if you just start sticking them up there randomly - instead, make it symmetrical, and take your time finding the right points to stick them. Several months after doing this, none of the nails have come out, and the heads of the nails still have the fabric on them. Basically, this method is dirt cheap, and looks a lot better than it sounds like it would, so I thought I would share it. This costs less than $15, took about 1 hour, and actually looks good.

I continue to ponder why they would put finely crafted walnut interior panels in these cars, along with lambs wool, etc. - yet the headliners seem to be on the wrong end of a pile of ****. Oh well, I do love my jags.......

Old 10-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: headliner sag advice

Man, I've been there too with my S-type. I bought some spray glue for about $10 at an auto-parts store, the type that is super adhesive, and just sprayed the cloth and the foam, and after it dried a little, just passed my hand and smoothed the surface out a bit, and it's been good ever since.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It shouldn't cost more the $200 to have the pros do it with matching material.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dad had it done for 100.00 !

Old 10-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this problem in the past with other cars that I have owned and have tried several methods... If you are going to glue to headliner back up or reupholster it yourself, make sure that you use a good adhesive. Contact cement works great. Usually, the spray on craft adhesives are attractive for ease of use, but the first time your car sits in the sun on a hot day the headliner will fall back down. Stay away from those.

Personally, I would search a junkyard for a jag that matches your interior and grab the headliner out of that. I can't imagine that you would have to pay more than $50 for it. Replacing it isn't terribly hard either. Just remove the pillars and pop into place.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 AM

The rear view mirror shouldn't have to come off, but if it does; There should be a screw or clip on the bottom of where it connects to the windshield. Unscrew or unclip it, and then slide the mirror up towards the roof of the car. The mirror will slide off of the mount and it will be off.

For the headliner, the only thing really holding it up is the pillars. The pillars are held in with clips - really all you have to do is pull and they will come off. Be careful though, as the clips break off easily and if one breaks you may have some rattling in your car. You don't have to remove the pillars from the car - as it would entail more work since they are connected to the dash and also the rear. Just un-pop it in the middle area while leaving the very front and very rear connected. Once the pillars are off, the headliner should be pretty much ready to come out. There will most likely be some double sided tape near the middle areas... just pull it off and it will come out easily.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Default Headliner Repair

I had mine done last week in New York...$378.00 and it looks and feel better than the original from Jaguar. The guy who did it is a real pro...car interiors is the only thing that he does...

Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

5 year old thread my friend... oh well, at least that's '1' to your post count, eh?