General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hello fellow members im Drew and i own a 2002 jaguar s type 3.0 i only driven it once now i have no crank no start just clicks but thats not the problem it is but more importantly i can not hook up the code reader to it i can but it say link error and says it not able to read because its acting like its not plugged in help

Old 07-03-2023, 07:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

drewg, first things first. I would check your fuse box to make sure that you have power to the OBDII port. If you don't have this external power, then the reader cannot establish contact. Assuming you have power, then this would showing that the ECU is having issues. So, what you would be seeing is the ECU works enough to crank the motor, but then either it is not powering your fuel pump or your coils. This can be proven by adding a bit of ether (starting fluid) to the intake and seeing if the car runs then. If it runs for a moment with the ether, then I would be doulbe checking the inertia switch to make sure it is not tripped (this would shut off the fuel pump). You can prove this by simply turning off all the electricals in the car and then rolling the key to the RUN position.. You should hear the fuel pump run for a second or two and then turn off. Granted I would try starting the car at this point to see if it starts. If you have a fuel injector that is starting to go, it will not let the fuel system get up to pressure and can cause a crank/no start condition.