General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help solve the mystery of the disappearing Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help solve the mystery of the disappearing Reverse Camera

Hi All,

I have a friend who has purchased a 2008 X-Type (for a really good price). He is not at all tech savvy so he asked me to connect his phone through Bluetooth which I did for him and provided very straight forward instructions on how to use it. All good so far.

Next time I dropped by to see him he told me the reversing camera stopped working after I had setup the phone. I am pretty sure I did not touch any other settings. He explained exactly what he could see on the screen when he was reversing out his driveway to prove it was working. We went out to have a look and the first thing I did is to look for the physical camera. I could not see it anywhere. There is a boot release button that would be in the right place to see what he told me but it looks like solid black plastic not a cam

era lens. At this point I am thinking he has dementia (not really) and there never was a camera but he insists it was working.

I am assuming it would be a factory fitted otherwise I think it would have been easy to spot.

I have been through every post on this forum related to a camera and could not determine exactly where it would be mounted. The thread on fitting an after market camera may come in very good use if it turns out there really isn’t one, I will happily fit one.

Could someone please post a picture showing a factory fitted reversing camera on a 2008… X-Type?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Jag_friend,

It hasn't disappeared - it never appeared as an OE accessory on the 2008 X-Type.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Grant Francis (05-01-2020), Jag_friend (05-13-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 06:05 AM
Received 10,580 Likes on 6,988 Posts

Welcome to teh Forums.

Agreed,

Mine is a Dec 09 LE, and no camera as OE either, and no mention of one in the owners handbook.

WHAT YA DRINKING? the borders are still shut, or we could share, sounds GOOD stuff HA>

The following users liked this post:
Jag_friend (05-13-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 02:21 AM
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome @Jag_friend

There was no factory reverse camera in the X-Type, however as you have seen there are some aftermarket options.

I'm in Sydney, have put lots of cameras into X-Type, S-Type and X350 XJ, can help you out with that if your friend is insistent on having a camera.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
Grant Francis (05-02-2020), Jag_friend (05-13-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 05:41 AM

Hi Graham,
I was 99.9% sure it was not there. I did not want to offend my friend by straight out telling him there is no camera as I respect my elders. If it had been one of my friends around my age I would have really been giving it to them for imagining there was a camera.
I was hoping to get a picture of where it was so i could show him and then get him to see for himself it was not there on his. Guess that is impossible. I guess i will show him the fact that I have had quite a few replies with the same answer should be enough to prove it was not there.

fyi, i have entered a post on the intro page.

Thanks alot for the reply.

David

GGG (05-10-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 05:56 AM

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the reply. I looked through the owners handbook and no mention, I also found a soft copy online, Ctrl F "camera" 0 found (Just to be sure I had not missed it in the book).
What am I drinking "Corona" maybe that is the problem. You may have noticed I distanced myself from the issue by saying "My friend" (It really was).
Nice collection of cars. One day I will have to document the cars I have owned.

Cheers

Grant Francis (05-02-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 06:10 AM

Hi Cambo,

Thanks for the reply, I recognise the name from the aftermarket camera installation thread. Once I break the news about the camera i will ask him if he would like one installed. I mean he should be ok backing the Jag up after all he has been driving trucks his whole working life, the last 20 or so where spent driving a B-Doubles. I have seen him reverse that in almost a straight line (which is near impossible).

If he decides he does want one I really would not mind some assistance, especially with the software component of the install. Although it will have to wait until I install the Digital stereo in my partners Forester.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,927 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Jag friend, not to ask a silly question, but did you recently remove a license plate frame/bar from the back of the car? That may have had the camera in it and ergo, when it was removed, the camera picture would disappear. I would also look into the back of the radio as to make what they are saying happened work, there would need to be an additional module. You will need info off of this module to get the correct frequency if you are going to put on a new camera.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:59 AM

Hi Chris,
No, have not removed anything off the car but thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

David