General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to move new Jag legally?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to move new Jag legally?

Wasn't quite sure where to put this; but since I will hopefully be buying a Jag in-state, as in I live in Connecticut and the Jag is located in Connecticut, it seems I can't get an in-transit permit from the DMV to get it into my driveway. Is there a special permit I can get, and do I even need to? The alternative is hiring a tow truck for like 45 miles which I would really rather not do.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

that's very strange, that CT is telling you you can't get an "In-Transit". In the state where I live (Utah) the "In-Transit" is ONLY good in Utah, not out of state.

But in my state, you can also purchase a 15-day temporary registration, up to twice a year, per car, per individual. This is designed to allow repairs to be made to the car prior to inspection.

The following users liked this post:
Aeten (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

You've got the right section for this question as it's not model specific.

To make this clear for US members who will be able to offer advice - this is a NEW vehicle that has never been registered and not a used vehicle that is new to you?

The Connecticut DMV has one of the worst government websites to navigate I've seen!

Connecticut Car Registration Guide - Renewals, Changing States, New Vehicle Purchases, Non Operational at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

I thought vehicle bureaucracy was bad in the UK but Connecticut can trump it!

If I read the information there correctly, it looks like you may be able to claim extenuating circumstances following Sandy to get it back the 45 miles.

Graham

Aeten (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

Not that I wanna encourage a detour into the ugliness of politics but the "DMV" is often generically (and apropriately) used as an example of just how bad bureaucracy can be.

OTOH, each state is different and, for example, the process is Washington state is amazingly streamlined compared to many others....suggesting that there's no actual mandate that everything be difficult ;-)

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Aeten (11-18-2012), GGG (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
To make this clear for US members who will be able to offer advice - this is a NEW vehicle that has never been registered and not a used vehicle that is new to you?
Seem more likely to be a used vehicle since a new vehicle would customarily be tagged before leaving the dealer.

The link you found is actually not the official DMV site. It is a commercial site that offers to be the intermediary for a fee.

Last edited by plums; 11-18-2012 at 03:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Aeten (11-18-2012), GGG (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM

No the Jag I'm looking at is used; but "In-transit" permits are only for you if you buy the vehicle in Connecticut, then drive it somewhere out of state.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM

Here, try this:
DMV: Requirements for Obtaining a Temporary Registration for Inspection Purposes

State of CT, DMV, temporary registration for the purpose of inspections.
I don't see where they indicate how long it is good for, but they state that inspections should be performed within the first 10 days, in case repairs are needed. They also indicate it is non-renewable.
Some of the forms required include your application for new title, so you'll be paying your title fee and sales-tax as well.

Aeten (11-19-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Aeten, sounds like you are buying this from a private seller. You have 2 options as I see it. You can do as was recommended and buy the car then immediately run over to the DMV to get a temp tag to move the car. But this is going to involve having proof of insurance (normally if you can show you have insurance for another vehicle, it will be covered since most insurances give you 10 days grace in this instance) and then paying all the associated fees with buying a vehicle. Option #2 is to talk to the individual selling the car and getting them to write you a note stating that you are driving their vehicle and drive the vehicle back to your place and then mail the old tags back to the individual (receipt on delivery). Then you have a little more time to get all your money in order, get proper insurance paperwork, etc.

Aeten (11-19-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Or just drive the seller home after he delivers the vehicle. Amtrak? Greyhound?

Aeten (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM

It's not a private seller it's a mass-sell lot called Copart USA - The Source for Online Car Auctions - Home Page mostly salvaged vehicles, although the Jag is just used it's not a salvage.

Thanks for all the replies I'll use the link to the DMV and go through their paperwork nightmare I guess lol

Old 11-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I actually bought my Jag in CT and drove it back to NY. All I had to do was start my insurance policy on the vehicle before I made the trip down to purchase it. The dealer (BMW of Greenwich) handled all the paperwork and had a temporary plate ready for me so that I could drive it home. It was literally just a piece of thick paper in the shape of a plate.

The temporary plate was good for 30 days, I actually laminated it so it would last until I got my NY plates. The dealer handled those too and had them shipped to my house.

If this dealer you're buying from is reputable, then they should be able to do all of this for you as long as you have the vehicle insured and give them any information they ask for.

If you do end up doing it yourself, I would just follow the guidelines here: http://ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=245092

As long as you have all of that documentation, just go to the DMV and explain what you are trying to do. I would get all of this done before purchasing the vehicle

Last edited by emaraszek; 11-19-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 AM

I've bid on plenty of cars from Copart before, but never actually won one. But I HAVE purchased from that sort of auction before. And as you've described; it is strictly "as-is". NO dealer services. Some have collected sales-tax, others have not (doesn't matter; you'll pay it one place or the other). But NONE have ever provided anything more than a title and / or Bill of Sale. And USUALLY they charge a storage fee for every day it's left onsite after the auction end.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting, I've never bought a car from an auction so I wouldn't know.

I still think the best way to get this done would be to take all of the appropriate documentation to the DMV (or at least call them) and explain your situation. Hopefully you'll be lucky and get someone who actually cares (somewhat rare at all DMVs it seems) and they can help you get it done properly.