General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

IDS_SDD Deep Dive - Getting Started

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts
Default IDS_SDD Deep Dive - Getting Started

Hello Jaguar fans, fellow enthusiasts, and those hoping to preserve a legend.
The Jaguar models in the "Modern" Jaguar Forum categories are eight or more model years old as of 2022.
Some have already achieved the 25 years considered to be "antique".
For the community of "Modern" Jaguar owners to thrive, it is beneficial for enthusiasts to be familiar with IDS_SDD.

I'd like to share some SDD deep dive experience. I find it interesting and hope that some of you do too!

JLR IDS_SDD is the dealer level software for diagnostics and electronic maintenance.
It is, as has been said of the military: "A system designed by geniuses, to be carried out by idiots".

I have found that the system is a bit clumsy, won't allow deviation from paths and rules but is very forgiving and self-correcting.
Most importantly, it provides insight, data and information and provides ability that is extremely difficult to find elsewhere.
Because it is clumsy, a simple OBDII reader (TorquePro) provides a "quick look" and incentive to dig deeper.

IDS_SDD versions 125 through 150 are suitable for use with our "modern" JLR vehicles.
They include vehicle data files (VDF) and should have everything needed to diagnose and program, test and measure.
Earlier versions (V125+) seem to have a simpler UI (user interface) but later versions have newer data files and more complex but detailed UI.

Like any skill or tool, IDS_SDD requires practice. The latest version is available for use with a Topix subscription.
However, off-line versions can work quite well with the appropriate "License".
Since considerable time and cost is necessary to self-learn the many aspects of the system, an off-line version may be a good choice.

An important point to understand when attempting an "off-line" installation of IDS_SDD is that the program includes "hidden" files.
In the case of Windows Xp, hidden files are located in C:\Documents and Settings.
You can make those files visible by going to control panel\folder options\view then, selecting "show hidden files and folders".
In the case of Windows 7, hidden files are are located under Program Data\JLR.
Similar to Win Xp, hidden files may be made visible via control panel\ folder options.

The hidden folders are a treasure trove, which I hope to discuss in a future IDS_SDD Deep dive.

The implication of the above discussion is that an off-line "License" must be run under "C:" because data in the hidden files is affected and must be accessible to the license routine.

For those considering getting started with IDS_SDD, I recommend a dedicated laptop of the type recommended by JLR:
The Panasonic CF-52 and CF-53 series have worked quite well for me. If you have a buddy that has one, purchasing the same model/ mark (I, II, III, IV) will allow you to share/swap hard drives.

That's it for now. Don't forget that you will need a VCI to connect your laptop to the OBDII connector.

best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 11-06-2022 at 02:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill400:
Paul1940 (11-25-2022), V7Sport (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 04:45 PM
Received 339 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill400

For those considering getting started with IDS_SDD, I recommend a dedicated laptop of the type recommended by JLR:
The Panasonic CF-52 and CF-53 series have worked quite well for me. If you have a buddy that has one, purchasing the same model/ mark (I, II, III, IV) will allow you to share/swap hard drives.
Hi Bill
Thanks for starting an in-depth look at SDD. It is a powerful, if cumbersome, tool to troubleshoot, repair, and update our modern Jaguars.

As an alternative to procuring an older PC (which admittedly many people may have laying about after upgrading their computers) to run SDD, I have found installing a virtual machine, hosting an older PC operating system on a more recent computer, to work very well. As a Mac guy, I run SDD V130 on my intel chipped iMac using a Virtual Box VM with Windows 7 Pro. I had a similar setup on a MacBook Air that unfortunately drowned, no thanks to our cat and a vase of flowers in water. SDD and Windows 7 Pro under the VM have been very stable for me and I have used SDD successfully on my X150 4.2L. The VM is transparent to the operation of SDD and my OBD dongle connected fine as well.

As you probably know, Virtual box is an Oracle open source application that can be used with many operating systems including Windows and Mac OS that may be installed on more recent computers. The VM for an SDD-compatible OS like Windows 7 or XP runs on top of the VM. Unfortunately, Virtual Box is not supported on the later Apple M1/M2 processor Macs. Here is the link to Virtual Box for those that may be interested in an alternative to using an old PC machine.
https://www.virtualbox.org

Also, in addition to the required VCI/OBD dongle, a substantial power supply to keep the car's battery topped up during SDD use is highly recommended.

Thanks again for your initiative.
Best, Mike

The following users liked this post:
Paul1940 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 09:07 PM
Default IDS_SDD Deep Dive - Panasonic Laptop? I digress!

Mike,
Thank you for the feedback and Mac information, about which I know very little.
When I began the IDS_SDD journey in 2014, concern for bricking my X-Type led me to purchase a genuine Drew Tech Mongoose (from Ann Arbor, MI).
As I moved to an XJ then XK, the same concern (and dirt cheap surplus laptops) led me to a Panasonic CF-52 (now CF-53).
My intention was to work off line and try some (sketchy?) software tools. Plus, I didn't want to jepordize my ability to make on-line purchases and bank transactions securely.
The panasonic allows switching between different drives/Windows and software versions very easily by plug-in module.

Early experience with IDS_SDD and the X-Type, including an OEM SAT/NAV and audio CD changer upgrade, were educational, rewarding and uneventful.
The 2012-15 XK back-up camera addition to my 2010 XK resulted in bricking the car! However, as stated previously, SDD is quite forgiving and after an additional day or two of learning, the XK was better than new with fresher software on several modules! I have now bricked and recovered software on two XKs. It's not nice trying to fool mother JLR SDD!

Last edited by Bill400; 11-06-2022 at 09:19 PM. Reason: gramma
Paul1940 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 11:13 AM
Received 339 Likes on 206 Posts

Hi Bill,
I wasn’t advocating for people to run SDD on a Mac but rather noting that they can run SDD successfully on more modern operating systems and computers of most any kind that they may already own but which are not compatible with SDD in the native OS environment.

The tough books are fine computers but my point is it’s not necessary to use a SDD vintage PC in order to run SDD. I’m at the place in my life that I want get rid of stuff rather than accumulate more.

The VM runs in parallel with your native OS and it is easy to switch between the two in real time. Plus you can share files to a common area between the two operating systems.

I really appreciate you sharing your SDD experiences, both bad and ultimately good ones. I hope I don’t need to call on your experience but glad to know someone I could ask.

I’ve only used SDD for fairly simple changes and fixes but always a little wary that I could really screw things up. Good to know from your experiences that a mistake on my part is likely recoverable.

Best, Mike

Paul1940 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 06:13 PM
Default IDS_SDD Deep Dive - Module programming: on-off-on-off?

If you have programmed a JLR control module, you may have wondered why SDD asks you to turn on, turn off, turn on and turn off the "ignition/position 2" repeatedly.
What's going on? Is it some sort of Morse-like code? Secret password? Competency test for technicians?
The control modules in our vehicles are, at heart, CAN capable microcontrollers.
Obviously, the microcontroller requires a program to function. It also requires a program, called a bootloader, to load the program each time the microcontroller is started. Just like your laptop!
When SDD begins the process of programming a control module, it sends a signal that is similar to holding the F2 button on startup. So, rather than loading the normal operating program, the microcontroller loads a "Secondary Boot Loader".
The secondary boot loader erases the old operating program and loads the new operating program. Upon confirmation, SDD instructs you to turn off, then turn on: Reboot the primary boot loader. In the absence of the F2 like signal, the bootloader loads the operating program and overwrites the secondary boot loaded to conserve scarce memory locations. Finally, SDD requeste a final "reset", on-off to verify proper microcontroller function.

So, what happens when something goes wrong? What if the microcontroller operating program and/or secondary boot loader becomes scrambled? I.e., we "bricked" the module!
That is where, the "rectification" process comes into play: power is dissipated in an effort to "erase" volatile memory followed by an "F2 reboot" to load the secondary boot loader and finally the operating program.
Since the primary boot loader is installed by the manufacturer and not accessible for change by CAN, true "bricking" of modules is probably rare. More likely is that procedures for "rectification" are misunderstood and/or incomplete.

TI explains CAN Bus bootloader:
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/spna186/sp...oogle.com%252F

Best regards,
Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 11-07-2022 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spellin
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill400:
Paul1940 (11-25-2022), V7Sport (11-08-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 07:00 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

PDU has the EXACT SAME procedure.(PDU.WDS,IDS.......)

Follow the screen prompts for ON/OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF.............

I have loaded windows on computers enough times to watch it do it the same thing, (WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN, WINDOWS IS RESTARTING,WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN, WINDOWS IS RESTARTING,WINDOWS IS SHUTTING DOWN..................

Paul1940 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 08:25 PM
Default IDS_SDD Deep Dive - Hidden (Files) Treasure

As noted in post #1 above, IDS_SDD includes "hidden" files.
In the case of Windows Xp, hidden files are located in C:\Documents and Settings.
You can make those files visible by going to control panel\folder options\view then, selecting "show hidden files and folders".
In the case of Windows 7, hidden files are located under Program Data\JLR.
Similar to Win Xp, hidden files in Win 7 may be made visible via Control Panel\ Appearance and Personalization\Folder Options\view.

Under Win 7\Program Data\JLR there are two folders: IDS and SDD. SDD is initially empty. It serves as a repository for data generated by unspecified program functions.

IDS\Sessions\Jaguar\(VIN).XML includes data saved from previous sessions. This trove may be used by SDD for Data recovery. Since they are .XML files, they may be opened for examination. Just close without saving unless you have a plan to change. It’s a good Idea to save unedited copies of files you may edit: ex: JLRfile_oem.xml. If things don’t work out, delete your edit and change back to JLRfile.xml.

Caution: Do not double click .TXT files to examine. The unexpected may occur! Use right click, open with note pad.

***IDS\Sessions\Software_Management\SM_XML \Model#_VIN_Index.zip includes an index of Model specific VINs. Use “Edit”\Find on this page to locate a target VIN. The resulting line item provides model_year_index#.
Make note of this information.

***IDS\Sessions\Software_Management\SM_AS_Built is the archive of every modern JLR vehicle built through the dated of issue of your IDS_SDD software. The information noted from the previous item/index is used to locate the target “As-Built” file. SDD uses this archive to recover “bricked” systems and to “correct” unauthorized changes. The XF (250) as-built have been useful in a quest for XK Blind Spot Monitoring.

IDS\Sessions\Software_Management\SM_LOG_Files is an archive of text files that bear further investigation.???

Other hidden files are generally empty repositories.

Again, I find these hidden JLR files interesting and hope that some of you do too!

best regards,

Bill

Last edited by Bill400; 11-07-2022 at 08:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill400:
Paul1940 (12-06-2022), Sean W (11-12-2022), V7Sport (11-08-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 08:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Which TorquePro OBDII reader are you suggesting?
Which IDS_SDD version would be most appropriate for a 2003+ XK8 convertible?
What is a 'Topix" subscription?
License ? ? Off-line version? ?
You mentioned Win7 and WinXP, may I assume that IDS_SDD will not run on our modern Win11 systems?
What is a VCI, some sort of interface between the computer and the Jaguar?

Old 11-25-2022, 08:56 PM

I am the proud owner of a WIN11 Pro.
I am very interested in using this computer to do diagnostics in my XK8.
Could you be more specific as to what I would need to run ISD_SDD?

Old 11-26-2022, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Most/all your questions can be answered if you use Search

Bill400 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Paul1940
Which TorquePro OBDII reader are you suggesting?
Which IDS_SDD version would be most appropriate for a 2003+ XK8 convertible?
What is a 'Topix" subscription?
License ? ? Off-line version? ?
You mentioned Win7 and WinXP, may I assume that IDS_SDD will not run on our modern Win11 systems?
What is a VCI, some sort of interface between the computer and the Jaguar?
Paul 1940,

As JagV8 suggested, the answers to your questions are quite readily available on Jaguar Forums.
Forum etiquette is search first, then ask focused questions.
You may find a Google search easier than the forum search engine.

That being said, TorquePro is just an OBDII reader application for a smart phone.
OBDII is a quick way to begin any diagnosis. I use OBDII before breaking out the laptop.

TOPIx: Registered users are able to purchase subscriptions for technical information such as Workshop Manuals, Electrical Diagrams, Technical Bulletins, and Diagnostic Release Notes.

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/ui/mylinks
(See software download)

Please note that owner's information for all vehicles is available to view free of charge on the Jaguar Owner Handbook and Land Rover Owner Handbook websites.

Because Topix is a subscription service, using “on-line” IDS_SDD to gain experience/competence may be prohibitively expensive for individual JLR fans. Therefore, some balance of “paid subscription” and “off-line” versions may be appropriate to preserve our pre-2016 vehicles.

The Drew-Tech Mongoose @ $450-$500 was the “cost-effective” vehicle communications interface (VCI) for pre-2016 JLR vehicles. Since the original is no longer “approved” by JLR/available, the “gray-market” version has become popular. Typically sold out of China, it typically comes with a driver, a version of SDD and a “License”. The license is a software routine that enables the SDD software for off-line use.
https://www.jlridssddmongoose.com/id...ose-v138-v131/
The license generally contains spyware. Resetting the laptop date is another option that is rumored to provide “off-line” IDS_SDD operation.

In posts #2 and #4 above, V7Sport explains that owners of Win10 and Win11 (proud and otherwise) may use additional software to run the older windows programs on more modern laptops.
However, IDS_SDD involves programs and subroutines talking to other programs and sub-routines.
My preference is to use the native Win7 to reduce the number of program interactions.

As stated previously, relatively inexpensive toughbooks offer the opportunity to run older versions of IDS_SDD off-line without the possibility of compromising regular laptop security.
Advantages of older versions include fixed-date and complete as-built and VDF files.

Good luck with IDS_SDD and your Jaguar preservation. Please feel free to share your experiences and ask for help when needed.

Best regards,
Bill

V7Sport (11-26-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bill400
Mike,
Thank you for the feedback and Mac information, about which I know very little.
When I began the IDS_SDD journey in 2014, concern for bricking my X-Type led me to purchase a genuine Drew Tech Mongoose (from Ann Arbor, MI).
As I moved to an XJ then XK, the same concern (and dirt cheap surplus laptops) led me to a Panasonic CF-52 (now CF-53).
My intention was to work off line and try some (sketchy?) software tools. Plus, I didn't want to jepordize my ability to make on-line purchases and bank transactions securely.
The panasonic allows switching between different drives/Windows and software versions very easily by plug-in module.

Early experience with IDS_SDD and the X-Type, including an OEM SAT/NAV and audio CD changer upgrade, were educational, rewarding and uneventful.
The 2012-15 XK back-up camera addition to my 2010 XK resulted in bricking the car! However, as stated previously, SDD is quite forgiving and after an additional day or two of learning, the XK was better than new with fresher software on several modules! I have now bricked and recovered software on two XKs. It's not nice trying to fool mother JLR SDD!
I deep dive into your bricking experiences would be greatly appreciated by those of us blindly advancing into the IDS / SDD miasma. Forewarned is forearmed !

Paul O. (Paul1940)

Old 12-07-2022, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

With a hefty power supply it's pretty safe to read & look at things. It's programming that's risky but also not normally needed.

motorcarman (12-07-2022)
Old 04-05-2024, 11:33 AM

Following up on JagV8's comment, the importance of a Battery Support Unit / Battery Maintainer while using IDS/SDD cannot be over-stated. I say "using" rather than just programming because ignition-on, door(s) open will deplete any battery in short order.

The importance of a properly supported battery during IDS/SDD programming or just poking around cannot be over-emphasized.

See the Jaguar Charging policy posted by Sean W:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ing-policy.pdf

For a practical discussion of Battery Support, see Mike's post:
https://bxproject.co.uk/blog/sdd-battery-support-unit/

Switched-mode power supplies have become common but older and "salvaged" units may be "noisy" and create problems. For a deep dive into Switched Mode Power supply theory see:

PS: I use an IOTA DLS-75 as it was the largest of the series for 115V input.
Mind your output cable size and length.

Last edited by Bill400; 04-05-2024 at 01:01 PM.
JagV8 (04-05-2024)
Old 04-05-2024, 12:45 PM

More IDS/SDD Deep Dive:

Generally applicable to "Modern Jaguars" 2007 through 2015, Versions 125 through V150 include Vehicle Data Files. VDFs accommodate off-line module programming.
Which off-line version to use? Opinions vary, but ...
V138 includes vehicle data files for all Jaguar XK/Rs through end of production.
V150 includes more recent data files and a nicer user interface.
However, as all things engineering, there are trade-offs.

SDD is designed to prevent a technician's mistakes. The newer the version, the more developed the "protection" has become.
Example: editing the Central Configuration File, CCF edits should be relatively easy. However, if there are minor issues that cause a persistent trouble code, later versions will not "resolve" the collection of software to allow CCF to proceed.

This brings me to the purpose of this post: If SDD "balks", look carefully at the Vehicle Specifications display. Red X's must be resolved prior to proceeding. Orange ! exclamation marks (indicating trouble codes) are usually problematic too. Before attempting anything that requires software resolution and uploads/downloads (key programming, module programming and CCF edits) resolve those issues.

So, how does the version of SDD impact our efforts? V138, for example, is more "forgiving" than V141-150. If you have a problem that you can't resolve due to the present unavailability of parts, you may be able to add or replace a key/fob now and resolve the other issue later with SDD V138 but not V141+.

Off-line IDS/SDD is typically enabled with a "license" of some sort. Depending on the version of windows and SDD, restarts may require "renewal" of the original multi-part procedure, or it may just restart with no further effort.

The basic SDD functions, when looking around with minimal interaction, are usually very dependable. However, interactive functions sometimes "balk" or do not work. If that is the case, the problem may be your SDD software, but may also be the vehicle system. As mentioned above, IDS/SDD may not "resolve" and refuse to budge. But it may not share with you it's reason. Look carefully at the information that SDD does provide for clues.

Hang in there, it does get easier.

Last edited by Bill400; 04-05-2024 at 10:18 PM.