General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

immo help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 03:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never mind, rem is the culprit

Old 01-10-2024, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
****, the JTIS is going to give some system description and how the system handles various signals. SDD doesn't quite do that. It more or less assumes you know about the car and that you know how the various system work. Very powerful tool, but it takes a bit of knowledge to really be able to use it properly.

As for the X-Type, I would see about getting a second key for it. The red light is saying that the number in the key fob is not making it to the ECU. Its path is from the key fob, through an antenna ring around the tumbler, runs through the instrument cluster, on to the CAN bus to the ECU. The ECU gets 2 signals, the key number and the command to start the engine from the tumbler. There has been a common problem with the instrument cluster getting broken solder joints on the main plug. Kinda like the CAN bus runs from the instrument cluster, through the radio, through the climate control, to the ECU. This is where the SDD software would be helpful in that it would come back and most likely tell you that it is seeing a problem with the wiring between Module A and Module B. Worst case, you tell SDD to run a test on the CAN system and it will tell you which modules it can communicate with and that will give you a good point to start wtih. SDD software can be gotten through places like E-bay. The big thing that I will tell you is that the cheaper it is, the more problems you are likely to have to get it up and running. So, if you have time to work and get a computer set up, the $100 kits work wonders. But, if you do not want to spend 10+ hours trying to get the software installed and tweaking this and that, you may want to spend the $1000 on a ready to go set up. SDD will cover most of your 1996-2018 vehicles. Starting mid 2018, the vehicles switched over to a system called Passport (as I recall). Same idea, just a different program. Not sure how well the SDD may work on say a 2020 vehicle. A lot of stuff is the same, but is it enough the same to work?

you think a key would cause an intermittent like that?
i got it to start one time. but then nope doesnt crank again with the red dot. and he has 2 keys both are crapped out? maybe? unlikely?

Old 01-10-2024, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Those are a mess!
Hurts to see so much destruction!
A quite nice collection of Jags too.

Was that the tail end of a blue Mustang on the lift in that first picture?

yea its a gt500 replica. i thought i had a better picture but i dont, ill grab one for you tm.

hope you guys enjoy some of these other pictures!

Old 01-10-2024, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

****, if you have 2 keys doing the same thing, then odds are, it is not them. So, you are now down to the antenna, ECU, instrument cluster, or the wiring between. Based on how often stuff fails on the X-Type, you are most likely looking at an instrument cluster. But, this is where the SDD software would pin point where the signal is being lost.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:33 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Hi ****,

To help organize things, after you have posted your Introduction in the New Member Area, please start individual threads on any cars you would like to seek help with in the appropriate model forum. That will bring your questions to our members with the most model-specific knowledge and avoid a sprawling multi-vehicle diagnosis in this General Tech Help forum.

I have taken the first step for you by moving your most recent post to the X-Type (X400) forum, under the title Intermittent No-Start, and have responded with some documents that may be helpful.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (01-13-2024), shag (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Don B is right and thanks for the pictures ****!
Love to see any all you care to post too.