General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Improved Steering Feel - And Some Questions I Need Answered

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Improved Steering Feel - And Some Questions I Need Answered

Ok, coming from BMWs, I could NOT stand the feather light steering. Too light for me at any speed. At the recommendation of my mechanic, I unplugged the speed sensor data going to the pinion assembly. It's a lot heavier, a bit too much at parking lot speeds, but I can deal. At anything faster than that, oooh, perfect. I'd highly recommend it if you want something a bit more sporting. I'd imagine all Jags have this light of steering, and could benefit from this if you want it improved.

Next, questions for you guys:
-Exhaust. Trying to remove the final mufflers. For those unfamiliar with the XJR, it's got a slip-fit joint, where the pipe leading to the muffler slips under the marginally larger diameter pipe heading to it. Undid the clamp on them at the joint, and could NOT get the muffler to budge for anything. Any ideas here? Any tips for loosening up this connection?

-Removing wood trim. I'm replacing my trim with dark wood. How do I remove the old pieces properly, without breaking things? Especially the dash pieces, I'd really like to avoid having the airbag blow up in my face....lol.

-Most Important: Fog Lights. I always prefer to drive with the fogs on whenever the headlights are on. For reasons unknown, Jaguar decided to make them turn off every time the car turns off, so I have to push the button every night. Surely someone else has been bugged by this, too? Has anyone else figured out how on earth to defeat this, yet still be able to switch them on or off. I suppose I could replace the momentary push button switch with a real switch, I need to pull the thing out and have a look I guess. Just thought I'd see if anyone had pioneered this yet.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Chad

Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Improved Steering Feel - And Some Questions I Need Answered

Exhaust: It's just stuck. Plastic mallet time. (It's kind of fun. How often do you get to beat on the car!) Break the rust loose.

Trim: I'll find out for you.

Fog lamps: The only option is to see of the Autologic can make these work with the headlamps. I don't think it's an option but I'll check into that when asking about the wood trim.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Got the fog lamp answer. It's bad news. No way that my guys know of to tie the fog lamps to the headlamps. Sorry.

I'm still working on the wood trim question.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

You could disconnect the fog lamps and operate them via a relay on the headlamp circuit.